Question about Disney cruise

kellyskloset420

Believe In The Magic
Ok, I am fairly new to these boards, but have been a DVC member since '08. I called MS today to book a 3 night cruise on the dream for this coming December, only to be told it was unavailable for points with the members. She said "we have been booking for 2 years now" and said it in a way that made me feel like I was an idiot. Not everyone can book a vacation that far in advance. Anyway, I called the Disney cruise line itself and they had availability and gave me a cabin number and all. Why can't I use my points if there are still cabins available? This does not seem right. I could certainly understand if the ship was "booked", but its not! I am NOT a happy dvc member now!

Disney Cruise Line & Disney Vacation Club are two seperate entities and managed seperately from one another, even though they both fall under the Disney umbrella. DCL only sets aside a certain number of cabins per cruise for DVC members to rent with points. I don't know the specific number of DVC cabins, but one they "sell out" you will not be able to reserve one with your points, even if there are still unreserved cabins left on the cruise.

Consider renting your points and paying with the proceeds - you may get a better deal than using your points would have been.

Consider renting your points and paying with the proceeds - you may get a better deal than using your points would have been.

Agreed.
But it seems like DVC and/or DCL cannot get their stories straight.
There are many speculations out there on exactly how they determine what and how cabins are given to DVC members on points.

-prior to Aug 2010, most people assumed that a set number of points or cabin are bookable using DVC points. Once it's used up, that sailing no longer can be booked even if you see availibilty on cash

-In Aug 2010 they annouced that no more booking of "ANY" cruise was allowed via DVC at least until sept 2011. DVC's reason? Maximum allowed DVC cabin booking for the entire fiscal year was reached. Many people complained and then "MAGIC" happened:wizard:, some/most sailings were bookable again with the exception of the dream.

-I called about 3 weeks ago, with the exception of some sailings, most cabins were bookable with points (even select dates on the dream for Dec 2011).
I called again last week, and all of a sudden no rooms were availible on the Dream until after Oct 2012. No more booking of the dream until after oct 2012, while most sailing were still bookable. So the theory that there is a max allowable bookable limit for the entire fiscal year may not be entirely true anymore.

-Yes, I know trading out to book a cruise is a perk subject to change at their discretion. Yes, I know it's not the best use of points. Yes, I know with the arrival of the Dream and Fantasy it threw a wrench in their system.
But at least get their stories straight. If it's a policy change then annouce it.

I've only asked about cruising on points once, only because I got a bunch of points stuck in holding, this was about 3 months ago, at that time I was told that there wasn't availability until October I believe.

I am unaware of any policy flips, as I've not been looking at cruising on points - but it would not surprise me one bit.

The current person in charge of DVC is responsible for changing out II for RCI - which is just a plain ripoff. Also creating the latest BS where only contracts purchased from DVD from here on out get the Disney props as exchange.

DCL gets there chain pulled by a special little group called revenue control - if they get involved with a cruise your on - forget it, they will dump everyone off the ship to make an extra dollar - between those groups - I would not put anything past them.

Thanks so much! We wound up booking for December 2012..not sure what I'm doing next week, but I do know that I'll be in the Dream December 2nd! Lol I'm still annoyed at how this works, and I'm hoping if enough members complain, they will do something about it!

I just did that and it worked out well! I still have plenty of points left too, wouldn't have had them had I paid with points.

I don't understand how they could say they are sold out until October 2012? Do that many people really book cruises with points?

I don't understand how they could say they are sold out until October 2012? Do that many people really book cruises with points?

Yes and the new ships are extremely popular and sailing full. With the new itineraries for the Magic and Wonder, those have been booking quickly also.

No more DVC bookings for DCL until Fall 2012. They are already booked up until then.

Yes and the new ships are extremely popular and sailing full. With the new itineraries for the Magic and Wonder, those have been booking quickly also.

No more DVC bookings for DCL until Fall 2012. They are already booked up until then.

No more DVC on any ship til next OCT? Or is it just on the Dream and Fantasy?
I swear I called 10 days ago, MS was reading off a whole list of sailings still availible to book on points.

I'd bet the cruise booking was part of the reason for no longer allowing resales access to the Disney Collection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter