question about concierge tips....again? I know right?

My wife and I just got back from the September 7 Fantasy Sailing. We tipped the Concierge staff $75 each, for a total of $225. That included our tip for the cabana at Castaway Cay. We gave the bartender $60 in cash.

We thought the service level was outstanding.

There is a good concierge staff on the Fantasy, and that's part of the problem. It's hard not to tip them well, when they are cordial and never seem to say "no." I had pretty much decided $10 per day per person was where we would come down, so this is close to that. Sometimes it's tough to tip them heavy when I realize how much work the cabin stewards do and no one seems to sweat over those tips as much. I guess it is the lack of guidelines that makes it tough and knowing we will likely see the concierge staff again and don't want to jeopardize future service.

There is a good concierge staff on the Fantasy, and that's part of the problem. It's hard not to tip them well, when they are cordial and never seem to say "no." I had pretty much decided $10 per day per person was where we would come down, so this is close to that. Sometimes it's tough to tip them heavy when I realize how much work the cabin stewards do and no one seems to sweat over those tips as much. I guess it is the lack of guidelines that makes it tough and knowing we will likely see the concierge staff again and don't want to jeopardize future service.

We had the same conundrum - the cabin stewards do work very hard - and we gave them extra as well. But, the skill level required to be a concierge host is likely much higher than the skill level required for cabin stewards.

My wife and I just got back from the September 7 Fantasy Sailing. We tipped the Concierge staff $75 each, for a total of $225. That included our tip for the cabana at Castaway Cay. We gave the bartender $60 in cash.

We thought the service level was outstanding.

We were on the Sept 8th Fantasy sailing as well and we ended up tipping a bit more than I had planned. I had planned on tipping right at what you did for the concierge hosts as I did not expect for them to do much for us as I had already booked almost everything we wanted before I upgraded us to concierge in June. I was surprised how much they ended up doing for us, from getting us the "express" elevator to getting us more nights at Palo, changing our Palo dining times to early seating times when they had been booking for our 2nd seating dining times, and a myriad of little odds and ends on a daily basis. We found them very tuned into their guests and pretty much had a great store of pixie dust to make things happen it seemed! pixiedust:

I had prepaid our regular gratuities before we sailed but gave "P", our cabin steward extra cash right up front as our room was easily double the size of our usual Cat 5 or 6. Our stateroom was kept spotless and only 1 day was I surprised that our room was not made up after being out of the room for over 3 hours one morning. The only other thing I was surprised about was that they did not change our bed linens once during the week. I kept meaning to ASK them to at least once and would forget (was having too much fun! LOL).

We also struggled the last day about tipping. We were not aware that the concierge host were supposed to be tipped. For the premium you pay for the concierge cabins, I would think it should be included.

There was a time when you were not supposed to tip the the concierge host. I am not sure when this changed but I wish this was still the case, it would decrease the stress and increase the enjoyment of the cruise, ditto, Palo and Remy. At the cost Disney charges for concierge one should not need to add on individual tips.

Magical_Suitcase, I disagree from the standpoint that you are coming from because Disney is setting the price high that you shouldn't tip. When I go concierge, wherever, I am tipping because these people go way above and beyond what's even expected for concierge. Each time I go, I am wow'd compared to other cruise lines as well as hotels. I always plan on wherever I am going to have plenty in reserve for tips, that way I never have to stress out.

Magical_Suitcase, I disagree from the standpoint that you are coming from because Disney is setting the price high that you shouldn't tip. When I go concierge, wherever, I am tipping because these people go way above and beyond what's even expected for concierge. Each time I go, I am wow'd compared to other cruise lines as well as hotels. I always plan on wherever I am going to have plenty in reserve for tips, that way I never have to stress out.
I think you misunderstood me. :) In the past, Concierge host was considered a non-tipped position. I wish that was still the case so there would not be this debate of how much to tip. We tip. And we tip well, especially for folks who expect nothing from the hosts other than a good morning smile, but if the expected "tip" could just be built into the concierge cost - such as it used to be, it would decrease the stress of how much one should tip.

I apologize I admit I totally miss understood you. I should have also noted too that tipping should always be something each person decides for themselves and should not be pressured to do so. I feel like I was harsh and apologize.

I apologize I admit I totally miss understood you. I should have also noted too that tipping should always be something each person decides for themselves and should not be pressured to do so. I feel like I was harsh and apologize.

No worries. My students often misunderstand me. Or maybe I just talk in circles. ::yes::

Enjoy your evening and do not stress about the miscommunication.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter