Question about cast members taking your phone to add Magic Key discount to bill.

I found this post on another travel forum I visit - another reason not to let someone take your phone away:

High tech pickpocketing - beware
Apr 27, 2022, 12:52 PM

When we were in California a young person approached us and asked us if he could use a phone to call his mom as he was lost.

My husband dialed the number for him but then handed him the phone to talk (on speaker) - I know you are never supposed to give anyone your phone but husband does what he wants! - and the young person was on the line for a while explaining where he was and then hung up and walked off.

I have since found out that this can be a scam where individuals use a number of quick keystrokes to access Venmo or Apple Pay accounts and transfer funds to themselves. We don’t have any of those apps enabled so we were fine and nothing happened.

https://abc7chicago.com/high-tech-pickpocketing-venmo-scam-transfer-good-samaritan-scammed/11578240/

Honestly I was more afraid of the physical phone being taken but as my husband is quite physically imposing this was unlikely to happen and I think he felt he was helping a kid out given our son is the same age. However handing over your phone is always a bad idea.

However, after reading about these scams I am even more alarmed. Just thought I would warn people about this as coming from Europe I didn’t know about it at all until this happened and I looked it up.

No bad intentions. It is similar to the credit card feel. If uncomfortable ask to walk up to the scanner with them or as many servers did when magic keys started, had you write that 18 digit number on the first receipt. I figure anything important on phone will need my finger or password and doubt they care much to look at all my photos.
Yeah, I didn't think they had any bad intentions. I just don't love the way it's being done. And wondered if it is common practice, or a fluke and we ended up with servers doing it their own way. Sounds like it's just the way they do it though.

I had heard of this issue from day one of magic key use. I always let them know I am a magic key holder and then firmly but politely tell them I'm not going to let them handle or take my phone but I will show it to them and I'm happy to write the magic key number down for them if they need me to. I'm actually surprised that this is still happening. When we went to Lamplight Lounge in February our waiter had a handheld scanner he could use right at our table which eliminated the need for him to take my phone or for me to write anything down. I had hoped that this was becoming the standard.
It feels like such a strange way to do it. I like your strategy and will write it down from now on. I just wasn't sure if they had to actually scan something in. I wish they wouldn't charge for the physical pass.

We've had this happen a few times ... it is weird and uncomfortable. It is, to me, a bad business practice. We far prefer when the server simply takes down our number and re-works the bill. However, even that is weird and prone to errors. Why can't they electronically scan to validate the Magic Key at the table??? Oh, my.
I agree. It seems so bizarre to me that they can't! So strange.

Thank you for posting this! I'm a software engineer and this makes me very nervous knowing what little it takes to snag information off a unlocked phone.

I will be going old school and taking a screen shot of the barcode to set as the phones lock screen. That way it's locked if they grab it and when they turn it on they still have the barcode that's scannable but won't be able to get past the lock screen.
This is so smart. Fantastic idea!

This would make me uncomfortable also, especially since I have never have a screen protector on my phone and would be scared someone would drop it. If you go often enough, I would make a business type card or something that had my name and magic key card number on it and then get it laminated to just hand over when they ask for it. Just a suggestion
I think this is a great idea

I found this post on another travel forum I visit - another reason not to let someone take your phone away:

High tech pickpocketing - beware
Apr 27, 2022, 12:52 PM

When we were in California a young person approached us and asked us if he could use a phone to call his mom as he was lost.

My husband dialed the number for him but then handed him the phone to talk (on speaker) - I know you are never supposed to give anyone your phone but husband does what he wants! - and the young person was on the line for a while explaining where he was and then hung up and walked off.

I have since found out that this can be a scam where individuals use a number of quick keystrokes to access Venmo or Apple Pay accounts and transfer funds to themselves. We don’t have any of those apps enabled so we were fine and nothing happened.

https://abc7chicago.com/high-tech-pickpocketing-venmo-scam-transfer-good-samaritan-scammed/11578240/

Honestly I was more afraid of the physical phone being taken but as my husband is quite physically imposing this was unlikely to happen and I think he felt he was helping a kid out given our son is the same age. However handing over your phone is always a bad idea.

However, after reading about these scams I am even more alarmed. Just thought I would warn people about this as coming from Europe I didn’t know about it at all until this happened and I looked it up.
The whole thing makes me uneasy. And you're right, there are reasons to not hand it over that haven't even occurred to me. Handing over my unlocked phone to a complete stranger to walk away with isn't alright with me.

I sure appreciate the fantastic suggestions offered. I will be using them to make sure it doesn't happen again. From the responses, I can see that this wasn't a fluke, it is common practice, so I'll just have to come up with an alternative plan to pass along my pass info. It truly is shocking to me that this is the system that's in place!

Not for the discount, but I used email gift cards that I had screenshot pics of the barcode and each time, the servers asked for me to come with them to scan it. So if you really don't want them even touching it, print it out.

Does anyone know if CM's will accept a copy of your printed out Magic Key with the numbers on it? Like, you could show them the phone briefly and they can confirm it matches the number on the printed document, then they take the printed item to their register?

For restaurants, the first thing I would try would be to just write your MK number on a piece of paper and hand that to the server. That seems to be the one thing they need - I had one server tell me that was all he needed (and was planning to write it down before I handed him the following). A printout might be fine, too, though it'll depend on the server.

Some places will not accept a printout. But I'm betting if they can confirm a printed number matches the one on your phone, they won't need to take your phone.

On the other end of the spectrum, I made my own Magic Key card using a screenshot of the barcode and some photo paper. The restaurant CMs I've handed it to have accepted it. It might be because it looks and feels quasi-legit, so your mileage may vary. (I usually make a point of telling them that it's homemade.)

Btw - I removed it from the picture below, but my card does have the MK # underneath the barcode.

Someone mentioned that the only official card that they're allowed to take is the paper one that you can pay for at a ticket booth. The gate CMs don't like my card - which is fine by me - but the LL CMs and restaurant CMs seem to be okay with it.

(More about mine in the MagicBand thread.)

fakemagickeypass-jpg.664940

Carnation Cafe waitstaff now has personal barcode scanners so they can scan the code at the table. This should be rolling out more widely.

I also have had them write the number down. I once handed over my phone, but decided after the fact that it made me more uncomfortable than I realized it would.

Carnation Cafe waitstaff now has personal barcode scanners so they can scan the code at the table. This should be rolling out more widely.

I also have had them write the number down. I once handed over my phone, but decided after the fact that it made me more uncomfortable than I realized it would.
This is how I felt as well. I had the same reaction after handing over my phone at BB and won't do it again.

Probably an odd follow up but does this one look like the ones the print for you? Are they just on standard paper or is is heavier like cardstock.

I'm thinking if it looks like the ones they print they probably won't bat an eye at it.
The thickness and the texture of mine makes it feel a lot like an old AP card. (It's stiff if you try to bend it.)

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what sells it - I've had a couple of servers assume it was the real thing when I handed it to them. ("Oh, I didn't know they were making these!") I always tell them it's homemade if they say anything about it.

I've never seen the paper ones they offer, but I'd wager the design would be more like a standard ticket, printed on normal ticket stock: printed name, "Magic Key (Level)", and the barcode. (Total guess, though.)

ticketid.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter