question about Canadian pennies

marli

Mouseketeer
We just booked a totally unexpected trip to Disney-YIPPEEE! I've been reading all about the pressed penny machines and think it would make a neat souvenir for my kids. Can anyone tell me if Canadian pennies can be used or if there is a reason to use US pennies only. Thanks.:D

Canadian pennies will work, but will press out with a silver streak from the zinc content. :eek: American pennies before 1982 do not have any zinc and make the best presses. :cool: I do not know what year the Canadian pennies started with the zinc but the older the better.
We always save our change and before we go we sort out the best pennies and give them a good cleaning to get them all shiny. :sunny: We also put them together in a bag with the two American quarters that you need to press a souvenier, they also have quarter machine pressed coins that cost 1 dollar plus a quarter to press.
We stick to the pennies, good hunting. :crazy:

When we were there (in 2002)Canadian pennies worked most of the time but once in a while they slipped through and did not get pressed.Which means you loose the two quarters you put in.It was usually just as we were running out of quarters(we have 3 kids) and my dh had to go change some bills for more quarters.To calm whichever child wasn't getting there selected penny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter