Quarantining Cruise Ships

Husker Mike

DIS Veteran
I have this feeling that many experts now realize that the quarantines of the Princess cruise ships were disasters that likely made the problem worse than better, because cruise ships are simply not designed for these situations.

With that in mind, and seeing how society is now turning to shutting down large public gatherings (basketball tournaments locking out fans), is the idea of quarantining a cruise ship now unfeasible moving forward? Will they evacuate the sick people to hospitals, and release the people on boards with instructions to isolate themselves, because you can't isolate yourself on a cruise ship?

The problem with sending people home to self quarantine means they still have to travel to get to their homes, thereby potentially exposing people. That’s why they are moving passengers to military bases for quarantine.

The problem with sending people home to self quarantine means they still have to travel to get to their homes, thereby potentially exposing people. That’s why they are moving passengers to military bases for quarantine.

I’d say that depends on where you live. My husband and I will be sailing out of Tampa and live in Orlando, so we could easily self quarantine without taking up valuable space. However I know that many do fly for cruises which would mean a military quarantine.

I’d say that depends on where you live. My husband and I will be sailing out of Tampa and live in Orlando, so we could easily self quarantine without taking up valuable space. However I know that many do fly for cruises which would mean a military quarantine.

we are driving to port canaveral, And not flying so could self quarantine at home, but I’m more concerned about being quarantined away from home for a long time near people who may have the virus.

And this is why I see them putting a moratorium on all cruises for a while. You either have to quarantine the whole ship immediately or you just let everyone loose and hope for the best.

And nobody wants their communities flooded with thousands of potentially exposed cruise ship passengers. The governors of CA & HI have both said they want to see if there is a way they can prevent cruise ships from docking in their cities. I think it’s a matter of time before ALL disembarking cruise ship passengers will be treated as possible exposures ... asked to self quarantine, required to stay home from work & school, placed in isolation or masked the second they step into any healthcare facility for any reason.

I think that not if, but when another passenger tests positive that they will ban cruises for a while

The issue with quarantine is that you have to have a facility to handle those people and a way to get people there. It's now been proven that quarantining people on the ship failed.

And this is why I see them putting a moratorium on all cruises for a while. You either have to quarantine the whole ship immediately or you just let everyone loose and hope for the best.

And nobody wants their communities flooded with thousands of potentially exposed cruise ship passengers. The governors of CA & HI have both said they want to see if there is a way they can prevent cruise ships from docking in their cities. I think it’s a matter of time before ALL disembarking cruise ship passengers will be treated as possible exposures ... asked to self quarantine, required to stay home from work & school, placed in isolation or masked the second they step into any healthcare facility for any reason.
I just took a look at CDC’s website regarding exposure to CV and cruises. The page requested we self quarantine for 14 days and report symptoms, IRRESPECTIVE of where the ship traveled to or from.

One more quarantined cruise ship will lead to the shutdown of all cruise lines. The government does not want to continue to have to get involved. I also think that the cruise lines don’t need/want additional negative headlines. Having the government make the call will divert the blame away from them for inconveniencing passengers.

There's good news and bad news to cruises being completely cut off for any amount of time.
Good news: Some lines will probably offer sweet deals to coax people back.
Bad news: ALL lines will jack up prices for upcoming new releases to make up for lost profits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter