Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

QOTD: Do you do any of that? How does one get started as an adult?
No, but I've always wanted to learn. I still have the blanket one of my grandmothers knitted for me as a baby.
I have a aunt who quilts and another aunt who is quite good at knitting.
As far as learning, sometimes independent yarn stores will have classes.
One of these days I'm going to do that -

took up weaving for a while (classes)

The weaving was something I first saw my grandmother do. She had a blanket loom and she carded her own wool and spun it into skeins of yarn plus dyed it. As kids we helped clean the wool and get it ready for the spinning process.
Oh man, what a wonderful skill to have, that must have been neat being able to take weaving classes. What a lost skill, you don't hear about to many people these days doing that.
We've got a few of those alpaca places around here that sell items I think.

Long story short, I went dress shopping again. Resisted the urge to buy slacks, my mantra today was "make a damn effort for once" ha ha. I entered the changing room with 12 dresses, walked out of the store with 3 of them! I'm going to live with them for a day or so and try the on again and make a final choice.

It was blowing a bit of snow this AM, and it's cooolllllddd outside! To windy to get in hot tub and enjoy it unfortunately, since it's a treat on cold nights. Oh well - tomorrow is another day.

I saw something odd today, I was in a Food Lion grocery store in Smyrna, DE this afternoon picking up a few things, one of which was laundry detergent. Well they had the majority of the laundry detergent - but not all of it - that was pods in bags in those plexiglass type containers, like you sometimes see electronics in. So - it was weird - if I wanted to buy a smaller bag of Tide pods I had to take it in the case up to be undone. But the larger bag of pods was there NOT in the case. Some of the containers that had laundry pods were also in cases, some were not. And it wasn't brand specific either.

Dinner was /is hoagies from Wawa. Not sure about tomorrow, I did pick up a whole roaster with the intention of cooking it and breaking it down for lunch meat for this week. I might do it in the crock pot, or perhaps a good old fashioned roast chicken dinner. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Switching between Harry Potter & The Football...husband wants to brave the wind and hot tub after all ...what the heck, only live once. Off I go!

Went to Costco this afternoon for some storage bins that were on sale and also grabbed a rotisserie chicken for dinner. As usual, it was bonkers there on a Saturday afternoon. I saw the sander trucks driving in tandem on the highway but thankfully I made it back home before the snow started.

Wishing you all a cozy evening!

Inspired by all of your talk about knitting or crocheting (and sewing, all of that stuff).

QOTD: Do you do any of that? How does one get started as an adult?
Maybe you have a friend that could teach you or a local fabric store like JoAnn's if you have them around there. Or maybe a Michaels or Hobby Lobby or some crafty store.

I was taught to sew and crochet by my mom's best friend, Ann, when I was young. She lived across the street from us and my sister and I grew up with her kids. We're still friends with them. I haven't crocheted in several years but get the urge occasionally. Because of Ann I went on to take Homemaking in Jr. High and High School. I won an award in Jr. High for a hot pants outfit I made in class. It was a pair of shorts (not too short) and a top that went down below the bottom of my shorts. Was all the rage back then. I began making a lot of my clothes in high school but it petered off after I graduated. I made my sister's wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses. I also made my wedding dress. I made other dresses for my mom and MIL for special occasions. After I got married I stopped sewing clothes and did craft stuff mostly. I've only hand quilted a pillow but have machine quilted throws as gifts.

I've tried my hand at cross stitching, embroidery and needle point and enjoyed all of that. I've never tried knitting.

I've been watching the Endeavor series on Prime. I love the British crime series!

Stayed home all day today. Did some laundry. Made some Cheeseburger Soup from a packet I bought at a Christmas market last year. It has a funky smell. DH said it's okay when you get past the smell but I'm not going to try it.

DD took the kids to KidZania today in Frisco. They had a great time. She said it was pretty crowded so I'm glad I didn't tag along.

Good morning. Chilly and windy here today. I just took my first walk. Now off to Trader Joe's in a bit.

Jeff came by yesterday and moved Chris' urn to the walk in closet. I told Chris he has a change of scenery. The doggies are with him too. Jeff also did a couple of maintenance items. I could have done one of them but I cut my right index finger on a knife and can't do anything that puts pressure on my finger. We had a nice burrito bowl lunch. We went over my financials. I am so impressed at how smart he is. Then we just talked for a bit, my favorite. He talked me out of my anxiety about moving. He told me that staying here is not the right thing to do. I am not stupid for buying this place. Now I know what I need and all he wants is that I find what makes me happy and to be happy. I don't see being happy again for quite a while if ever but I do want to be comfortable and feel a sense of peace and calm where I live. I am lucky to have 2 good sons and I am grateful.

I am the least creative person I know. I am more a practical person. My mother was fantastic at knitting and crocheting. She made vests, skirts, sweaters, afghans, mittens, and hats. She could do a great cable knit sweater. She tried to teach me to knit but I just frustrated her like crazy. It could have been that I am left handed and was right handed but I think I just don't have the brain connections to make it work. I have done embroidery and some sewing. I made Chris some bathrobes and pajamas. I made maternity tops when I was pregnant as well as nightgowns. I was mediocre at best. I can hem pants and sew on buttons.

The real estate agent sent me a couple of condo listings but they were not to my liking and were in an area that is too far west and south of the area where I want to live. Please send good thoughts that I can find just the right place to live in just the right area. I still would like to look at the complex my agent likes but nothing is for sale right now. The pictures look like some place I would be interested in looking at.

Have a good day.

Good morning everyone. Husband got up with pups at 5 which allowed me to sleep in till 7:45 which is LATE for me, what a treat!
I've got 3 mini loaves of banana bread in the oven, loaded the dishwasher the rest of the way and ran it. Next up, laundry.
Have a good morning everyone.

Good morning. It's not just chilly outside, it's downright cold, it's only 22. Going to 40 later.

Summer texted me last night that she got a call from her Orthopedic Doctors' office yesterday afternoon. They want her to see him asap. She has an appt on Tuesday. They told her that the spinal stenosis may be causing her bladder problems. Of course, she sat down and looked online, and only worried herself more. The most likely solution is surgery, and she says she won't let them do that. So now we wait, again.

I forgot to mention yesterday Pea asked about knitting, crocheting, etc. My mother didn't have the greatest eyesight, yet when I was young, she knitted an entire wardrobe for my Barbie dolls. She also made my prom and wedding dresses. She made me take sewing and modeling lessons so I would know how to do both. Like I would ever be a model? The thought was hilarious then and still is. I made a velvet dress that won first place in the runway show they had afterward, lol. I think I might have been 11 or 12. I can still picture that dress in my mind. I only sew these days when necessary. I did make the curtains for our bathroom when we moved in here (oddball-sized windows) and will probably make new ones when the bathroom gets remodeled. Still waiting for that phone call, guess I have to call again and remind him tomorrow.

Thankfully we have gotten approvals for free meds for 3 of Don's and 2 of mine. Just waiting for word on the rest of them.

I noticed this morning when filling the bird feeders, that the house behind us is now for sale. The lady passed in July. Hopefully whoever buys it takes care of the awful hedges that separate their yard from ours. From the street in front of us, it looks like they are ours, but they aren't. She told us when we moved that her husband had put them there before he died. The house is up on a hill, the front facing the back of ours. Then there is a driveway across the front, and the hedges are in front of that. They are way too tall, and out of control. There are poison ivy, honeysuckle, and several trees growing out of it. We used to take care of them when we first moved here, but it got to be too much for Don and they are too tall for me to do. Then they came to expect us to do it, and that was the end of it. They got snotty with us about it, so we stopped doing it at all. I don't mind the wall of hedges, but they need to be cut a bit and straightened out. Some of the trees are touching their power lines. The only way we got them to have them trimmed a few times was to call the County and complain. Then they stopped doing it even after the County commissioner came and told them to. That's when we stopped speaking to them.

Football playoffs are again today, which means Don will be glued to the tv all day. I just can't sit and watch tv that long, especially teams I don't care for. Bucs play tomorrow night, so I will be watching that one.

Have a nice day

a9088c729f613b7084cb5529de8c0c10.jpg

Good morning. It's not just chilly outside, it's downright cold, it's only 22. Going to 40 later.

Summer texted me last night that she got a call from her Orthopedic Doctors' office yesterday afternoon. They want her to see him asap. She has an appt on Tuesday. They told her that the spinal stenosis may be causing her bladder problems. Of course, she sat down and looked online, and only worried herself more. The most likely solution is surgery, and she says she won't let them do that. So now we wait, again.

I forgot to mention yesterday Pea asked about knitting, crocheting, etc. My mother didn't have the greatest eyesight, yet when I was young, she knitted an entire wardrobe for my Barbie dolls. She also made my prom and wedding dresses. She made me take sewing and modeling lessons so I would know how to do both. Like I would ever be a model? The thought was hilarious then and still is. I made a velvet dress that won first place in the runway show they had afterward, lol. I think I might have been 11 or 12. I can still picture that dress in my mind. I only sew these days when necessary. I did make the curtains for our bathroom when we moved in here (oddball-sized windows) and will probably make new ones when the bathroom gets remodeled. Still waiting for that phone call, guess I have to call again and remind him tomorrow.

Thankfully we have gotten approvals for free meds for 3 of Don's and 2 of mine. Just waiting for word on the rest of them.

I noticed this morning when filling the bird feeders, that the house behind us is now for sale. The lady passed in July. Hopefully whoever buys it takes care of the awful hedges that separate their yard from ours. From the street in front of us, it looks like they are ours, but they aren't. She told us when we moved that her husband had put them there before he died. The house is up on a hill, the front facing the back of ours. Then there is a driveway across the front, and the hedges are in front of that. They are way too tall, and out of control. There are poison ivy, honeysuckle, and several trees growing out of it. We used to take care of them when we first moved here, but it got to be too much for Don and they are too tall for me to do. Then they came to expect us to do it, and that was the end of it. They got snotty with us about it, so we stopped doing it at all. I don't mind the wall of hedges, but they need to be cut a bit and straightened out. Some of the trees are touching their power lines. The only way we got them to have them trimmed a few times was to call the County and complain. Then they stopped doing it even after the County commissioner came and told them to. That's when we stopped speaking to them.

Football playoffs are again today, which means Don will be glued to the tv all day. I just can't sit and watch tv that long, especially teams I don't care for. Bucs play tomorrow night, so I will be watching that one.

Have a nice day

View attachment 732039
I have a hedge wall between myself and one of my neighbors.

No poison ivy or other trees but it can get taller than we like very fast. They are Leyland Cypress and I specifically planted them because I didn't like one of the renters that came to live there. She was a screaming shrew.

The house has had 3 owners and 4 or 5 renters, with the 3rd owner there now. This family is wonderful and I try to trim each year and they have my permission to trim any part that bothers them.

But, having experienced a less than ideal neighbor I am keeping the trees!

On the other side are people who don't disturb anyone. There is a fence between our yards that belongs to me. I have Yorkie and I wouldn't want him wandering around. The fence is on both sides of the yard but does not extend to the street in front hence the former need for the tree hedge.

If my neighbor moves, I may consider a preemptive hedge or fence on that side also. Fences do make good neighbors.

Lynn, I love Coco! :lovestruc Summer needs to keep an open mind about things and not go in with her mind already made up before she even hears what they have to say! We postponed DH’s [minimally invasive] back surgery for years and afterward, regretted it. It turned out to be relatively simple but it was life changing for him. Gone was the sciatica and pain that was causing him to be miserable, even after years worth of PT and steroid shots, etc. I would also get a second opinion and plan to go to the absolute best place she can go if she decides to go forward with it. But first step is to at least to hear what they have to say and hear their explanation for how they would help it. Waiting can sometimes make things worse and it definitely wears on your psyche.

My experience with spinal stenosis is with two of my German Shepherds. Both were on wheels because of it. Lost use of rear legs and incontinent of both bowel and bladder. There is no surgery for that for dogs (at least there wasn’t at that time; who knows for the future.) But it was heart breaking. Everyone thinks it‘s the hips, but it’s the spine. The pressure on the spinal nerves is what causes all the problems. And it makes sense to me that that could be part of her problem with the bladder. Nerves need to be functional in order for our bodies to work properly. This is her chance to get some help, perhaps. It’s ok to be nervous, anyone would be, even just to talk about these things, let alone surgery. But she needs to (said lovingly) put her big girl panties on, take a deep breath, and deal with it.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/lumbar-spinal-stenosis

Getting my hair cut today. Will probably do some lunch somewhere afterward. It was so cold and rainy yesterday we didn’t feel like going out so I did an online grocery order, which worked out pretty well, though of course I forgot a couple of things. Going to try to do the cabbage roll soup today got everything but the tomato sauce. 😬

Family went out this morning - kids have to get blood drawn for their physicals and then they‘e doing something with the dogs. DD had to give a urine sample there but forgot and went before she left. It takes her a long time to get one, but she was drinking a big cup of water as she was leaving. She just sent me an exchange between her and her brother from the lab.

A49D9EE6-B2B3-4972-A128-C839AF334B18.jpeg
:lmao: Classic.

I feel like there was something else I wanted to say, but forgot. Oh yes, thank you for all your shares about crafting! You are a creative bunch! It’s not for me, it’s for DD. Once she finishes her Master’s program (just four more classes to go!) she will have time on her hands (finally) and she was talking about wanting to try knitting. I saw there were a couple of places that offer classes, maybe I could get her a gift card or something. YouTube might be something she likes, too.

I learned to crochet a little bit from my park rec dept when I was young. I made a lot of potholders, lol. But I never pursued it more. Life got busy for me. Sewing? Forget it. My mother could hand sew and she sewed most of what I needed. My MIL was a great seamstress and she worked magic for me many times. She started to teach me the basics of sewing but I couldn’t get it. I took it in HS Home Ec, also, and everyone was wearing the items they made and I was still fumbling around with patterns (that I never quite understood). I think whoever said you have to have the brain for it is right. The most artsy-crafty thing I did - and I was glad for something - was photography. I felt sort of bad for DD when she was little as she loved crafts but it wasn’t my thing. She got to do them in school and with friends, though. (We did lots of other cool things, though - I taught her photography, for instance, and I’d say she’s a better photographer than I am today. And I taught her how to be a nurse! 😊)

@PollyannaMom If you google Big Mac Pizza near me there are a few places that have it. I would not recommend getting at the place we got it (in Weymouth; DH: “Where’s the beef?”). True, there was hardly any hamburger on it. I feel like if it’s done right it’s probably pretty good, especially if you’re really hungry, lol.

Have a good Sunday, everyone! 🐥

Good morning everyone.

@lynxstch - Hope Summer finds some answers.

@Snowysmom - good luck with the condo search. I hope you can find what you want.

@Judique - I understand neighbor issues. My daughter and I were talking about some of the horrible neighbors we have had over the years yesterday. The original neighbors next door were wonderful people and sadly she died too soon. We then got the skinheads who infested our row of houses, that wasn't fun. Next a young couple who were more insane than the skinheads and threatened to kill my daughter-in-law and grandson because he played in MY driveway. Then we got a very nice couple who were never home and only had 1 child but the house was to small. After that we had the neighbor who terrorized me for the entire time he lived in the house. Literally terrorized me to the point that I became a bit of an agoraphobic. He called every city agency to complain about us for the most trivial reasons - didn't like the color of my house, didn't like my choice in flowers, etc. The kicker was when he decided to sue me because he had a dent on his car. I didn't do it but he decided that I should be blamed for something he did. He lost in court. The happiest day of my life was seeing the For Sale sign on his lawn. The couple that bought the house were very nice but when housing prices started to go up they sold. Now we have a lovely couple living there. When we had snow last year he actually helped me shovel. They don't speak much English and are gone most of the time, I know she works as a nail stylist, but I am happy.

The school district postponed the school choice announcements. I found out that my Ella and her friend Ella both applied to a High School close enough that they can walk if they want. It is about 2 miles so they will qualify for the bus pass. The school offers multiple learning programs including Health Technology. My Ella wants to go into nursing so it would be a good fit. Now to wait some more to see where she was accepted. The other friend is moving outside the city and the 3 Musketeers will be no more, at least in their minds. She isn't moving so far away that they can't get together once in a while but sadly that may not happen as she makes new friends in her new school.

I had a busy day yesterday. First it was watching Wyatt wrestle, Ben was sick, but Wyatt did really well again and won both matches. Then I went to Peddlers Village with the girls, and we had fun, but it was COLD!!! We all had frozen toes by the time we left. I got some Bacon on a Stick for us to share. It was surprisingly very good, but it was bacon, how could it not be good. I wanted to treat to dinner, but the restaurants had 4-5 hour wait lists. We went to McDonalds on the way home. We all agreed we would like to go again, maybe some time when it's warmer and a weekday when it would be less crowded. We could barely walk by the time we left as the crowds were insane. I told them in the spring when they have off and we can stop in New Hope also to look around. It's 5 minutes away and on the Delaware. It's another quaint little town. It was nice to spend some time together. We also talked about our trip and made some plans for what we want to do in Disney. Mostly it involved ways to save some money on food. We are going to get an Uber the first day and go to Walmat or Publix to get some breakfast foods and snacks as well as bottled water. Ella doesn't like tap water. I came home to Jim watching 3 different sports on TV. It makes me dizzy so I headed to bed early.

Not sure what is in store today other than football. I will find something else to do as I am not really ion the mood for football. I may clean out the fridge as I think there are some leftovers that have seen better days. Other than that I will be playing with the computer and trying to figure out how to get my pictures of Scotland off of the memory card. I know it can be done, just not sure how.

Have a good day all.

Good morning everyone.

@lynxstch - Hope Summer finds some answers.

@Snowysmom - good luck with the condo search. I hope you can find what you want.

@Judique - I understand neighbor issues. My daughter and I were talking about some of the horrible neighbors we have had over the years yesterday. The original neighbors next door were wonderful people and sadly she died too soon. We then got the skinheads who infested our row of houses, that wasn't fun. Next a young couple who were more insane than the skinheads and threatened to kill my daughter-in-law and grandson because he played in MY driveway. Then we got a very nice couple who were never home and only had 1 child but the house was to small. After that we had the neighbor who terrorized me for the entire time he lived in the house. Literally terrorized me to the point that I became a bit of an agoraphobic. He called every city agency to complain about us for the most trivial reasons - didn't like the color of my house, didn't like my choice in flowers, etc. The kicker was when he decided to sue me because he had a dent on his car. I didn't do it but he decided that I should be blamed for something he did. He lost in court. The happiest day of my life was seeing the For Sale sign on his lawn. The couple that bought the house were very nice but when housing prices started to go up they sold. Now we have a lovely couple living there. When we had snow last year he actually helped me shovel. They don't speak much English and are gone most of the time, I know she works as a nail stylist, but I am happy.

The school district postponed the school choice announcements. I found out that my Ella and her friend Ella both applied to a High School close enough that they can walk if they want. It is about 2 miles so they will qualify for the bus pass. The school offers multiple learning programs including Health Technology. My Ella wants to go into nursing so it would be a good fit. Now to wait some more to see where she was accepted. The other friend is moving outside the city and the 3 Musketeers will be no more, at least in their minds. She isn't moving so far away that they can't get together once in a while but sadly that may not happen as she makes new friends in her new school.

I had a busy day yesterday. First it was watching Wyatt wrestle, Ben was sick, but Wyatt did really well again and won both matches. Then I went to Peddlers Village with the girls, and we had fun, but it was COLD!!! We all had frozen toes by the time we left. I got some Bacon on a Stick for us to share. It was surprisingly very good, but it was bacon, how could it not be good. I wanted to treat to dinner, but the restaurants had 4-5 hour wait lists. We went to McDonalds on the way home. We all agreed we would like to go again, maybe some time when it's warmer and a weekday when it would be less crowded. We could barely walk by the time we left as the crowds were insane. I told them in the spring when they have off and we can stop in New Hope also to look around. It's 5 minutes away and on the Delaware. It's another quaint little town. It was nice to spend some time together. We also talked about our trip and made some plans for what we want to do in Disney. Mostly it involved ways to save some money on food. We are going to get an Uber the first day and go to Walmat or Publix to get some breakfast foods and snacks as well as bottled water. Ella doesn't like tap water. I came home to Jim watching 3 different sports on TV. It makes me dizzy so I headed to bed early.

Not sure what is in store today other than football. I will find something else to do as I am not really ion the mood for football. I may clean out the fridge as I think there are some leftovers that have seen better days. Other than that I will be playing with the computer and trying to figure out how to get my pictures of Scotland off of the memory card. I know it can be done, just not sure how.

Have a good day all.
I'm in a happy place with my neighbors right now.

I can't even imagine being sued by any neighbor. I'm really sorry you had to endure all that.

The most likely solution is surgery, and she says she won't let them do that
Oh no- why not??? She’s been wanting a solution. Is she apprehensive about surgery?
Excellent to hear, what a pain you’ve got to go thru this every year.
She just sent me an exchange between her and her brother from the lab.
🤣🤣
Then I went to Peddlers Village with the girls, and we had fun,
We’ve only been there once, and it was years ago! I’ll have to think about going again one of these days.

Well, we’ve gotten a fair bit done around here today. Husband installed new heating element in oven, so I’m back to two ovens again yippee! I’m roasting a chicken in there now. Some we will have for dinner w/ a mushroom risotto. I’ll shred a fair bit for sandwiches and/or chicken salad lunches this week, and I’ll make some chicken soup for the freezer.

I’m finding it difficult to muster up the interest in doing much else today! I better get inspired.

@tazdev3225 , how did I miss the Peddlers’ Village reference! We lived in Yardley Hunt, Lower Makefield. ( you dont live in Yardley, unless you live in Yardley, so, I always qualify.). We loved particularly the **** ‘n Bull” restaurant.

Down the road from Peddlers’ Village was Buck’s County SPCA, and that’s where we adopted our first dog, a 2 1/2 year old lab mix, Midnight. Our $5 dog wound up costing hundreds of dollars because when we took Midnight to the vet, we discovered she had heart worms. The treatment is very serious and very expensive, but after two nights in our house, there was no question, she was getting it, and happily she survived, and she lived with us for 8 years.

Last edited:
I've now got 4 nights booked at Hilton Head and 6 nights booked at Disney World. In between I have an additional 2 nights at a chain hotel.

Haven't made the first park reservation, restaurant reservation or anything. But, guess what? I'll have a wonderful time! I have my no expiry tickets so I'll go where there's space and hop later if I feel like it. I'll eat a bagel or biscotti and some cheese and coffee for a very early breakfast and find some counter service for lunch.

If I feel like dining, I'll crash a spot and if they won't let me in I'll try another. I won't starve because if worse comes to worse, there's always food somewhere. I won't be buying any Genies or lightning lanes as I'm not likely to want to do anything wild and fast or swirley.

I get up very early and even more so at Disney. I usually walk around the Boardwalk carrying my Disney coffee mug to start my day, being passed by all the people out running and jogging. During the day if I'm not in a park, you might find me near Tampa visiting a State park to walk the beach and bird watch. Usually when I do this I book a night somewhere on the Gulf Coast, but I haven't done that yet. Could still do it - I'll wait and see.

My last night will be at Animal Kingdom Lodge in club level DVC. It's worth it to me! I love the Lodge and viewing and having snacks available for nibbling. It will be wind down time.

Since I'm driving I'll be keeping track of the mid atlantic weather. Don't want to drive back into a snow storm! In a situation like that I will find a room at any assortment of spots I'm familiar with that can put me up til any snow melts! I would probably head back to the Savannah or Hilton Head area as there are loads of places there.

@Judique, we had CL at Jambo January 1 and 2 this year, and thoroughly loved the experience. It’s something I try to get every few years.

Enjoy your visit!

We fly tomorow, and this trip includes VB, BCV, a DCL Pixar cruise, and ends at SSR with three girlfriends. We have Cirque with good friends who live in FL. For me and Tom, the tickets were our Christmas gift to each other! Plus, we have plans to meet Disboarder, Simba’s Mom!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter