Q: how long does it take to scan "Mickey" to "Mickey?"

ekatiel

DIS Veteran
A: Too long. We just finished our Spring Break trip. Everywhere we went, there was line backed out of Fastpass entrances b/c people take too long to scan their bands/cards. There has got to be a better way. Can't rfdi pick up signals from a short distance? In theory, couldn't we just casually walk by the sensor and it would pick up whether or not our FPs were valid? I'm assuming they are already using this technology because you don't scan out when you leave a park-- you simply walk out. They have to be keeping track of guests leaving, right? Anyhow, I saw these bottle necks as one of the main problems with FP+. The other main problem I saw was having to use the kiosks to get 4th fastpasses. This week, the lines in the kiosks were often 10 minutes long. Waiting in line so we didn't have to wait in line was a lot of fun.

Last week we definitely noticed how long morning entrance to each park took to get people through the turnstiles. Tickets seemed faster. I liked the magic bands, but it doesn't seem the most efficient to enter the parks with a lot of people trying to get through. In the FP lines it didn't seem too bad as there's not that many people in queue at a time.

Yes, we noticed at the turnstiles, too. Definitely slower than the old turnstiles.

There has got to be a better way.
There was. :rolleyes1

A family of 6 could fan out all 6 of these and get through the FP line in about...oh....half a second.
fastpass.jpg

The problem isn't the bands. The problem is the people. For the most part.

So many people get to the turnstile entrance or fast pass entrance and are busy fumbling around with their bands or not lining the Mickey head up or who knows what else.

I've never spent more than 1-2 seconds at a fast pass entrance when scanning my band. Rarely do I even have to come to a complete stop to scan it and go through.

If people had the Mickey head lined up on top and were immediately ready when it was their turn, lines would go faster

Yea, definitely user error here. The paper could be bad too cause I'd watch people in front of me dig them out of their pockets and hand em to each of their 10 kids. Just as aggravating. And the bands everyone acts surprised how it works, like, not that hard to figure out.

At the park entrances, the bigger time waster was how people first scanned their tix and then SLOWLY scanned their finger after. Scan both at the same time, people!

At the park entrances, the bigger time waster was how people first scanned their tix and then SLOWLY scanned their finger after. Scan both at the same time, people!
I do agree with you. But the last two times we were there, I heard CMs tell people to scan their bands then their fingers. I don't know why. I didn't. I do both at the same time.

And then you have people like my dad (I was trying to act like I didn't know him) who forgot about halfway through our trip which finger he'd used for the scan...

I do agree with you. But the last two times we were there, I heard CMs tell people to scan their bands then their fingers. I don't know why. I didn't. I do both at the same time.

One CM told me the same thing last week, even though both can scan perfectly at the same time. (That's to ticket-scanning like FP is to waiting in line! An expeditor.)

I noticed a lot of reasons for the hold ups. I was behind a family who had like multiple cards and one parent scanning them. There are people like my mom who forget to scan when using the FP+ lane. Making the Mickey on the MB more noticeable may help, like outlining it in a different color.

Your blaming people who don't undersrand the simplistic scan and go system for too long scanning?

When I went it was people who for some reason could not grasp the concept of scanning their tickets / bands it was mostly family groups but those who did was in and out very quickly. I was rather impressex

I just wanted to say that was our " slogan" our past trip.. We would shout "mickey mickey" when we scanned our bands!

Definitely user error. I've mostly been stuck behind people who 1. didn't have a FP and should have been in the standby line or 2. were too early for their return time

Noticed the same thing last week. Long lines just to get into the FP+ queue for numerous attractions. Call it user error but it doesn't make the line any less long.

Can't rfdi pick up signals from a short distance? In theory, couldn't we just casually walk by the sensor and it would pick up whether or not our FPs were valid?

It still needs to connect to the account to see if you have a FP, though. If you are there and waiting (I have tried to do mine mid-stride and end up almost tripping because it's still circling around when I think I should be able to go) you can see the color it turns and IF you're allowed to continue.

Every time we have been stuck is because people are trying to to use a FP that is expired, is not their time window or they don't have a fp.

Or it is backed up because people want to discuss fp or how to get fp or where to go to get fp. It gets ridiculous. People need to read a map in any of the numerous translations offered.

Or it could be the MB. Our trip in Dec, took three trips to front desk and once to Guest services at MK, before we stopped having problems.

But I agree, being able to scan while fairly close to mickey head would be nice. Having to need to tap mickey to mickey takes a little more skill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter