Putting in for vacation time at work

I’m a teacher and we only are allowed to take up to five personal days a year, and yes, we can take them all at once, but I can never take off more than a week, and I wouldn’t want to honestly; I hate missing work.

My DH gets 22 vacation days a year and he can take as many as he wants at one time. We just got back from a two week vacation and we took a two week vacation last summer, too. My DH often thinks about leaving his job, but his company is so flexible with vacation time, leaving early for appointments, etc. that he’s almost afraid to quit because he doesn’t know how the new job would be with all that stuff.

I work 12 hour shifts so the holidays are calculated by hours. Standard days holidays are 22 days that is 25 working holiday plus 8 bank holidays multiplied by 8 and divided by 12 getting 22 days. I have been with my firm for 21 years so get another 4 days holiday for long service. Mind you sick pay is different to USA as well as from October 2021 to April 2022 I had 6 months sick leave due to having a work place accident (I broke 5 ribs) on full pay do you get much sick pay in USA?

DH can take off as much time at once as he wants. It's on him to make sure his projects are completed or at a stage where he can put them on hold while he's off, or he has to have one of his minions complete what needs to be done while he's gone. (He calls them minions to me, not to anyone else; they are the lower level drafters he supervises and trains.) He's sitting on about 6 weeks PTO right now; he's taking 11 days (maybe 12) next month.

And no, he doesn't go get it approved. He simply tells his boss and HR that he will be gone; he doesn't have to give a reason, but he usually does. They know his work gets done, and he is always available via text or phone if really needed. (Well, except for next month, because NO CELL PHONE OR WIFI CONNECTION IN BELIZE FOR US!!!!! :dogdance::yay::cool1::banana::cheer2: )

He's in a bit of a unique position, though. He is a regional CAD coordinator for his company, in addition to being a senior designer; and he does all the assessment tests for drafters/designers for his company's potential new hires. He does all the new hire training for his office, and travels to the other offices in the region to train drafters how to do things the way the company wants them done. He also helps set the company guidelines for the way their designers and drafters do their work. He refuses to be the CAD manager, though; he's done that twice; the first time, he ended up getting laid off due to the recession; the second time, he left because the company didn't want a CAD manager, they just wanted a scapegoat when something went wrong on one of their designs, without allowing him to make any decisions to fix the issues...

Never being able to have more than one week off at a time is a very restrictive policy, especially for such a long-term employee who should be highly valued. Does your husband make a lot of money at this company? Is this his industry's standard? If the answer to one or both of those questions is "no", then he might want to look elsewhere for employment.

My company is very generous with PTO. I get 28 PTO days a year. I like to take 2 weeks plus 1 additional day (Friday before the full 2 weeks off) every year for a real vacation. My current department always just says have fun and see you in 2.5 weeks. My old department was totally fine with the 2 weeks, but the 1 additional day needed VP or CMO approval. It was crazy and felt like I was asking to use all 28 days at once. But it was approved every time I asked --- just needed that extra approval. Same company, different departments, totally different views on the PTO usage policy.

I work 12 hour shifts so the holidays are calculated by hours. Standard days holidays are 22 days that is 25 working holiday plus 8 bank holidays multiplied by 8 and divided by 12 getting 22 days. I have been with my firm for 21 years so get another 4 days holiday for long service. Mind you sick pay is different to USA as well as from October 2021 to April 2022 I had 6 months sick leave due to having a work place accident (I broke 5 ribs) on full pay do you get much sick pay in USA?
I’m sure every US company has slightly different sick pay policies, but I’ll tell you how mine worked. I missed 6 months in 2021 (Feb to August) due to a knee implant and bone infection. I’m a school teacher at a private Catholic school. First I had to use all my paid sick leave. I earn a number of paid sick leave days each year, and they roll over from year to year. Plus my 3 unused Personal Days converted into 1.5 sick days each. I’d been there for 10 years and hardly ever been sick, so I had lots of sick days. I also didn’t have to use sick days for school holidays or breaks. I was only charged a sick day when I would have been at work. At some point I had to transition to Short Term Disability (STD), which is 60% pay. Luckily I had enough paid sick leave to get to when STD kicked in. If I had run out of paid sick days before STD kicked in, I’d have had to wait through the gap of unpaid days. I had 22 weeks of STD. If I was still unable to work at that point, I would have been placed on Long Term Disability and terminated. Thankfully I was cleared to come back to work on my very last day of STD, so I can’t tell you how LTD works.

Nope. Neither my husband or I can take more than 5 consecutive work days off. I also can't take the first or last month of the week off as we are closing our month at that time and I am the manager. Its actually in both of our employee handbooks.

I’m sure every US company has slightly different sick pay policies, but I’ll tell you how mine worked. I missed 6 months in 2021 (Feb to August) due to a knee implant and bone infection. I’m a school teacher at a private Catholic school. First I had to use all my paid sick leave. I earn a number of paid sick leave days each year, and they roll over from year to year. Plus my 3 unused Personal Days converted into 1.5 sick days each. I’d been there for 10 years and hardly ever been sick, so I had lots of sick days. I also didn’t have to use sick days for school holidays or breaks. I was only charged a sick day when I would have been at work. At some point I had to transition to Short Term Disability (STD), which is 60% pay. Luckily I had enough paid sick leave to get to when STD kicked in. If I had run out of paid sick days before STD kicked in, I’d have had to wait through the gap of unpaid days. I had 22 weeks of STD. If I was still unable to work at that point, I would have been placed on Long Term Disability and terminated. Thankfully I was cleared to come back to work on my very last day of STD, so I can’t tell you how LTD works.
Interesting. Not sure why, but my former employer automatically put you on Short Term Disability after 5 consecutive sick days. .

I hope it works out for you!

My husband was able to take a month off when our son was born this past October. Between his paternity leave and vacation time it was a full 4 weeks. It was awesome. His manager didn’t like it because of the work they’re in. Apparently he told coworkers he couldn’t wait for my husband to come back! But I sure loved having him home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter