Purchasing FW Cabins DVC

What are your purchase plans for the Fort Wilderness DVC cabins?

• I have already purchased points for the cabins

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I will purchase points later on and/or if they get a better incentive

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • I have no interest in purchasing points for the cabins

Votes: 172 72.3%
  • I’m waiting to purchase Poly 2 instead

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have enough DVC points and don’t intend to add on ever again

Votes: 27 11.3%
  • Waiting to purchase on the resale market down the road

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Other - tell us your plan

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Only if the dues weren’t so high

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters
For everyone complaining about location and transportation, it’s got pretty much the same as WL/CCV/Boulder ridge, which are pretty popular. Plus FW has so many more activities than most other resorts. The pools not as great, but beyond that I really don’t get why everyone hates it so much. I plan on staying here, though not buying, simply because I have more than enough points already and I agree with everyone on the lack of incentives and dues, but the location/transportation/amenities complaints I don’t understand.
WL/CCV/BRV if you want to get on transportation you just get on the bus outside the building or get on the boats. At the Cabins you would need to first use the internal bus loop (or walk really far) I think.

We’re much more interested in Poly but if we were going to buy CFW, I’d definitely buy a fixed week 100% for sure.
If the dues spread stays about the same (and prior evidence suggests it might get worse over time), then you will literally pay 50 percent more over the life of the contract for CFW versus an equivalent points contract poly. That is absolutely ludicrous.

Most? I don’t know how many people like sleeping in a bed that hundreds of dogs have slept in. There’s a reason pet-friendly hotels are few and far between, and are almost always the “lower-end” offerings.
The last time I checked the Yacht Club was a deluxe resort and not "lower end".

Disney has 4 pet friendly resorts - Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, The Cabins at Fort Wilderness and the Yacht Club.

Plus the campsites at Fort Wilderness Campground are pet friendly.

For everyone complaining about location and transportation, it’s got pretty much the same as WL/CCV/Boulder ridge, which are pretty popular.
Everyone has their own list of important things when picking a resort but this is why we have no desire to stay at WL/CCV/BR.

Everyone has their own list of important things when picking a resort but this is why we have no desire to stay at WL/CCV/BR.
Exactly. This is why we LOVE staying at the Lodge. For us, the Monorail loop resorts are just way too crowded with day guests wandering through the lobbies, stopping in just to shop or eat, etc. Full disclosure, we're guilty of it too. Same goes for Epcot resorts, although we did get some points at BCV for a F&W trip each year, so zero transportation needed.

We actually like the fact that we can go back to the Lodge, and decompress from all of the "Disney", at least for a few hours, if we want to. That MK is a 5-minute boat ride away (and the Monorail is a few steps from the MK boat dock) is plenty. I will admit, we almost always rent a car anymore, regardless of where we are staying, but that's because we hate taking the busses and find that driving to and from the theme parks is easier and takes less time (except of course MK, but we have the boat for that one).

Does any one think that DVC estimated the cost correctly so that they would not have to raise so high in the future? That the cost of running these large projects keeps going up and the other DVC projects will have point charts to match (Or at least much higher) in a few years?

Exactly. This is why we LOVE staying at the Lodge. For us, the Monorail loop resorts are just way too crowded with day guests wandering through the lobbies, stopping in just to shop or eat, etc. Full disclosure, we're guilty of it too. Same goes for Epcot resorts, although we did get some points at BCV for a F&W trip each year, so zero transportation needed.

We actually like the fact that we can go back to the Lodge, and decompress from all of the "Disney", at least for a few hours, if we want to. That MK is a 5-minute boat ride away (and the Monorail is a few steps from the MK boat dock) is plenty. I will admit, we almost always rent a car anymore, regardless of where we are staying, but that's because we hate taking the busses and find that driving to and from the theme parks is easier and takes less time (except of course MK, but we have the boat for that one).
We love WL/CCV resort! We drive, but the car stays parked for the most part. We do a grocery run and maybe drive to the waterpark.

We love WL/CCV resort! We drive, but the car stays parked for the most part. We do a grocery run and maybe drive to the waterpark.
The car is great for AK, Disney Springs, and for hitting the Target at Flamingo Crossings.

I've just found that even under ideal conditions, the bus requires an extra 30 minutes minimum at the beginning of the day, and even longer at the end of the day. That's an extra hour of my time. Unless your timing/luck is perfect, you're going to wait some amount of time for the bus at your resort, then the first bus might be full, then there's the bus ride. Coming back, depending on how long you stay, you could be waiting almost 30 minutes to get on the bus back to your resort, plus the trip. If I can walk out to the car, not worrying about what time of day it is, or how many people are also wanting to ride the bus, drive 5 to 10 minutes to the theme park, and then pay the extra $20 for preferred parking (making a shot walk to the front gate and no tram ride), then enjoy the same flexibility at the end of the day, I'm happy.

Last edited:
Does any one think that DVC estimated the cost correctly so that they would not have to raise so high in the future? That the cost of running these large projects keeps going up and the other DVC projects will have point charts to match (Or at least much higher) in a few years?
I think there is potential the dues may come down slightly in the future. There is an interesting note in the operating costs budget for the cabins:

‘Since The Cabins Resort Use Plan is the only trust use plan currently in the Trust, this cost component also includes costs and expenses for administering the Trust and Association at the Trust Level, including the annual trustee fee.”

Make of that what you will…

There is a pretty big price jump from where things were just a few years ago (RIV calculations in 2021 were still in $11 range for direct). Now CFW’s over $16pp between buy-n and dues, and VDH a similar story after including ToT tax. Where will Poly2 costs end up?

Maybe the plan is to put active direct resorts at higher prices, so offering some kind of Trust Plan (with multi home priority but stricter terms) at a slight discount could make it the most attractive option. If they want to sell the most contracts this way possible, the appearance of the Trust being the lowest cost choice could help.

Maybe none of this but it does seem like something new is on the horizon and DVC enters a new phase.

Am I the only one who's not really a fan of CCV/BRV's boat/bus transportation and by extension CFW's transportation? For MK our only options were the monorail resorts because idk on a hot summer day in Florida I don't really want to be outdoors as much as possible. If CCV were on the monorail I'd probably have bought there just because I love the Peter Dominick resorts. I know, pretty hypocritical considering we own AKV with it's bus only transportation but we wanted 1 resort in each area. But anyways that, in addition to the dues that are second only to VB make CFW a hard pass.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who's not really a fan of CCV/BRV's boat/bus transportation and by extension CFW's transportation? For MK our only options were the monorail resorts because idk on a hot summer day in Florida I don't really want to be outdoors as much as possible. If CCV were on the monorail I'd probably have bought there just because I love the Peter Dominick resorts. I know, pretty hypocritical considering we own AKV with it's bus only transportation but we wanted 1 resort in each area. But anyways that, in addition to the dues that are second only to VB make CFW a hard pass.
I love the boat transportation at WL, I find it so relaxing. The beauty of DVC is there something for everyone. We will definitely stay at CFW, but I think we will do it for a resort only trip instead of going to the parks.

I hate the boats to WL as well… we always seem to get stuck or have to wait a long time. It is sooo slow.

I'm with Don. I love the boat from WL, and find the Lodge area to be very peaceful because it is around the bend from Seven Seas.
For MK our only options were the monorail resorts because idk on a hot summer day in Florida I don't really want to be outdoors as much as possible.
My solution to this problem is to never visit Orlando in the Summer.

I'm with Don. I love the boat from WL, and find the Lodge area to be very peaceful because it is around the bend from Seven Seas.

My solution to this problem is to never visit Orlando in the Summer.
That's probably the best solution. Unfortunately I will be living there later this year 🙃
I hate the boats to WL as well… we always seem to get stuck or have to wait a long time. It is sooo slow.
Same. I wasn't a fan of waiting on that dock without any shade and then going on the boat with the loud engine humming in the background and normal Florida humidity but anyways to each their own. I do admit the views were great of Contemporary and MK but yeahh not for me =/

I’m going to assume you meant CFW cabins but I’m surprised you would pick VB over this. The points while overpriced because of the high dues are still direct points. At the same time though depending on the CAGR on dues I could see these become the first DVC points on WDW property to become worthless in a distant future.
Nope...

If I had money to, I would buy 2 weeks in Copper Creek Cabins... Those are delightful.... I especially love the idea of a hot tub built into the unit. Sadly, I am not in the tax bracket that makes that possible.

I find the CFW cabins in my price range for two weeks, but then I'd be stuck staying in them.

VB is a delightful resort, that offers you direct oceanfront access. That appeals to me. We love going there.

Staying in a trailer with the bunk beds in the room and no privacy from the kids, a huge number of people crammed in together, etc. no thanks!

Nope...

If I had money to, I would buy 2 weeks in Copper Creek Cabins... Those are delightful.... I especially love the idea of a hot tub built into the unit. Sadly, I am not in the tax bracket that makes that possible.

I find the CFW cabins in my price range for two weeks, but then I'd be stuck staying in them.

VB is a delightful resort, that offers you direct oceanfront access. That appeals to me. We love going there.

Staying in a trailer with the bunk beds in the room and no privacy from the kids, a huge number of people crammed in together, etc. no thanks!
Sorry I'm dumb misinterpreted lol but yeah agreed completely

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter