Purchase of DVC membership

Primadona

Earning My Ears
My mother lives with me (adult daughter) and we want to jointly purchase a DVC membership. Is that possible or would one of us have to only be an authorized user?

Yep, confirming the above. I believe you can have anyone you want on the deed. My sister and I are on both our resale and direct contracts.

Yep, my wife,, my son who is an adult and does not live with us are both on the deed along with me. We are all DV-Y and considered owners with full access and seperate logins.

Yep, my wife,, my son who is an adult and does not live with us are both on the deed along with me. We are all DV-Y and considered owners with full access and seperate logins.

To add on to this, I think I vaguely recall reading that separate logins isn't just something that you can have; I think it's required if you each want to be able to have a digital DVC card on your phones. But I wasn't 100% paying attention because I don't have a joint owner so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Be careful how the deed is titled if buying direct.

My dad and I bought at BWV in 1998 as co-owners. Disney just titled the deed Mary and John. There is no designation such as JTWROS. My dad is now deceased. I can’t do anything with that membership or deed unless I probate it in Florida. About 15 years ago that was ~$5k. I can’t add on or sell. I wanted to add on and had to do an entire new contract.

My husband and I bought direct and I was surprised to see Disney titled the deed as Mary and Joe. Perhaps in Florida being married would take care of not having a designation such as JTWROS.

To add on to this, I think I vaguely recall reading that separate logins isn't just something that you can have; I think it's required if you each want to be able to have a digital DVC card on your phones. But I wasn't 100% paying attention because I don't have a joint owner so forgive me if I'm wrong.
Yes, that is correct. My wife had to create a DVC account once they implemented digital cards. She is on the deed with me, but when they had physical cards we both got one (and she never bothered with a login because I do all the booking and management etc.). But once digital cards came in to play, she had to set up a DVC account and a MDE account in order to get the DVC-Y digital card generated.

Be careful how the deed is titled if buying direct.

My dad and I bought at BWV in 1998 as co-owners. Disney just titled the deed Mary and John. There is no designation such as JTWROS. My dad is now deceased. I can’t do anything with that membership or deed unless I probate it in Florida. About 15 years ago that was ~$5k. I can’t add on or sell. I wanted to add on and had to do an entire new contract.

My husband and I bought direct and I was surprised to see Disney titled the deed as Mary and Joe. Perhaps in Florida being married would take care of not having a designation such as JTWROS.
JTWROS is titling a deed as joint tenants w/ rights of survivorship - which is how I hold title w/ my adult son so that when the time comes the DVC contracts will be 100% his w/out having to mess w/ and pay for probate in Florida & he can sell or keep them.
Married couples can hold title as tenants by the entireties which also avoids Florida probate. In looking at the OC controller site it looks like DVC typically grants deeds to John Doe & Jane Doe, husband and wife, to create tenants by the entireties.
I’m not an expert in Florida real property law but this site explains the options available.
https://www.deedclaim.com/florida/tenancy-entirety/

Last edited:
JTWROS is titling a deed as joint tenants w/ rights of survivorship - which is how I hold title w/ my adult son so that when the time comes the DVC contracts will be 100% his w/out having to mess w/ and pay for probate in Florida & he can sell or keep them.
Married couples can hold title as tenants by the entireties which also avoids Florida probate. In looking at the OC controller site it looks like DVC typically grants deeds to John Doe & Jane Doe, husband and wife, to create tenants by the entireties.
I’m not an expert in Florida real property law but this site explains the options available.
https://www.deedclaim.com/florida/tenancy-entirety/
Thank you for that info.
Disney really messed me up with the deed with my dad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter