Pulling kids out of school for a WDW trip

Oh my goodness that would make me livid!!! How do you schedule around that as a parent? Presumably a ton of families have kids in both elementary and middle school. Is this some sort of phased in transition period or something, or is this the way it is for the long term? Ugh!

Even worse for those who work in the district and have kids in the district, but not on the same plan. I’ve never understood the logic behind this.

Interesting..My sister moved to a city outside of Charlotte, NC. Her children attend the public schools there, and she works in one of the elementary schools. A frustrating thing she has to deal with each year is that the elementary schools run on a different schedule than the middle and high school schedules. Same total number of weeks per year, but the elementary schools have two weeks off in October, and two extra for Christmas--four 'extra' weeks. However, they have four fewer weeks in summer. Essentially, she and her youngest are on a different schedule than her two older kids. I always wondered why they would do this.
Our district did this for a while many years ago. Eventually they figured out the high school was taking a huge hit in attendance on days the elementary schools had off and high schools didn't. Parents would keep the older kids out to babysit the younger kids. Since funding is based on attendance, it was costing them money. And only because of that they finally aligned the days off in all the schools again.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness that would make me livid!!! How do you schedule around that as a parent? Presumably a ton of families have kids in both elementary and middle school. Is this some sort of phased in transition period or something, or is this the way it is for the long term? Ugh!
She's lived there for over 10 years and that's how its been since she's lived there.

The schedule is mostly frustrating for them as a family to plan for the middle school/early high school kids being home for a month after school starts at the elementary level in July, with the older kids going back at the end of August.

Too old for a sitter, too young to drive/work- but, not happy to be home alone for a whole month. I have off over summer, but live in another state. We usually work out something where I go there a bit/kids visit here a bit. Not everyone has someone to help them out though.

Not all the districts in the area are on that schedule, so I suppose people could move if they were really upset about the schedule- or not buy into a home there.

I hate it because I work through the end of June up here in New York, and my sister goes back to work two weeks later. We have a short window to plan any sort of summer family vacations. Oh, well.

Our district did this for a while many years ago. Eventually they figured out the high school was taking a huge hit in attendance on days the elementary schools had off and high schools didn't. Parents would keep the older kids out to babysit the younger kids. Since funding is based on attendance, it was costing them money. And only because of that they finally aligned the days off in all the schools again.

They really should have them all on one schedule- the extended or regular.

As to the sports issue- My sister's kids all participate in school sports, and are there during summer and breaks for conditioning and practices anyway. Lacrosse games started before classes, I believe.

Personally, I wouldn't mind an extra week or two off during the year, and lose them over the summer- but that's just me.

I've only seen one person complain about the consequences. (The poster who disagreed with the 0 policy)
Instead, most parents are saying that they've taken their kids out and haven't had a problem, and that they deem the consequences to be acceptable for their family.
What makes you think people don't accept the consequences?

I have not offered an opinion on the subject or heard anyone say they are not willing to accept the consiquinces. However I have been one to mention that what you do is purely up to you and they are your kids so go for it. I am just close to the subject by virtue of the fact my wife worked as an Attendence Clerk/ Registrar for 14 years and got yelled at a lot by parents that were not willing to accept the rules.

I feel like children can learn so much more travelling than they would sat in a class room for a week. Back when I was in high school (second to final year) I missed two weeks to visit WDW. I worked hard to do the work I’d be missing before we left and did fine when I returned to school after the trip.

That said, in England we can now be fined for taking children out of school for a holiday - £60 per parent per child. Schools no longer have much authority to grant special exceptions. So, while I wouldn’t worry about my child missing school for a holiday, I would feel far more uneasy worrying about being given a fine.

Our district allows you to take your children out of school for an “educational trip” with prior approval. The days cannot be during state testing days (most of those are in April). If the trip is approved (I’ve never heard of one that has not been approved), the kids are allowed to make up the work. If the absence is not approved beforehand the kids are supposed to get zeros on all missed work. Teachers will not give work out beforehand; it must be made up afterwards.

We have rarely taken our kids out of school, although I am not against it if school policy allows it and/or parents are okay with the consequences and the kids are doing well academically. DH and I are self-employed so we can take time off when the kids are off which usually means we vacation in the summer. Disney trips are the exception though. I hate extreme heat and crowds which means I don’t want to go to Disney in the summer or at Christmas. So since the kids have been in school, most of our Disney trips have been short trips in the fall. They usually get a few days off in early November for the end of the first nine weeks/teacher conferences/Election Day. A few times we have managed to do a 4-5 day trip with no school missed. A few times they have missed 1 day. One year the school calendar was approved for students to have a Thursday, Friday and then Tuesday off. Yep, they were supposed to be in school on Monday. I thought if the school board was dumb enough to approve that they deserved to have a lot of empty seats in school on Monday. My kids weren’t there. I still shake my head when I think about it.

That being said, we haven’t been to Disney since November 2015 when my oldest was a freshman. My younger girls now play volleyball and club tryouts are usually that first weekend in November and although I might have taken them out another day or two when they were little, 2 are now in high school with a ton of AP and honors classes that they both have to work at in order to do well and school is more important at this point. We all miss Disney though so we are going to tack on a few days to our beach trip this summer and I am hoping not to melt by 9 AM.

I have posted up before that we take our kids out and see nothing wrong with dong so but after 3 years in a row of dong it, I received a letter after we took them out this past September. The letter was pretty nasty with the threat that we, the parents, would be held liable and could be dragged into court so we decided from now on we will go during school breaks with maybe extending the break by a day or 2 at the most.

I have posted up before that we take our kids out and see nothing wrong with dong so but after 3 years in a row of dong it, I received a letter after we took them out this past September. The letter was pretty nasty with the threat that we, the parents, would be held liable and could be dragged into court so we decided from now on we will go during school breaks with maybe extending the break by a day or 2 at the most.

How long were you taking them out for at one time before the letter?

Did they miss many days before that?

We’re been leaving for our summer trips during the last few days of school. They’re half days, there’s no testing, there’s no learning...Not a single teacher has cared yet. We get out just before the summer vacation rush.
At the high school level in my district all finals are scheduled for the last three days of school. So annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter