PTR - Will Disney cheer me up in August 2010? FINAL UPDATE 9/2/10

Just call me VegasVick :cutie: I am a HUGE Disney nut and my dear family supports my addiction (up to a point). As you can see from my signature, we go to either WDW or DLR on a regular basis. We just spent the week before Christmas at WDW (which is another story). The Disney experience is my favorite vacation, followed closely by cruising.

Me...Minnie ears and all.
232323232%7Ffp53397%3Enu%3D56%3C4%3E372%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A5749955329nu0mrj

My DH, Joe, will join me at WDW. He is not a fan. Probably couldn't care less if we never went to a Disney park ever again. But, he loves me so he suffers through. He always has a good time when we go, but does have a tendency to go commando...which is so not necessary considering how many times we've ridden everything, etc.

Joe
232323232%7Ffp53387%3Enu%3D56%3C4%3E372%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D343%3B723%3B%3A2329nu0mrj

My DD will be with us on the drive to Florida, but won't be joining us at Disney. I'll explain this in the next installment ;)

My DD and I currently live in Illinois and my DH has taken a new job in Texas, so our household is in a bit of an upheaval. My oldest DS no longer lives at home. We usually drive to Florida. This trip is no exception. DH will fly up to St. Louis and travel down with us. However, the main reason for the trip is to bring DD to college. Yup...my youngest is going to be a freshman at Florida Southern College in Lakeland. She moves in on Saturday, August 21st.

DD - My Sunshine State Gal
232323232%7Ffp53373%3Enu%3D56%3C4%3E372%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D3434%3C96582329nu0mrj

You probably better understand my PTR title now...I am going to be sad, very sad...:sad2: But DH is a quick thinker and a pretty smart guy. He says to me "since we'll be in Florida anyway, would you like to see your mom and spend a few days at WDW after we drop DD off at college? It's your favorite place and it'll cheer you up." Just like that. Of course, I said yes.

But, I like to celebrate special occasions at Disney, so...my 50th birthday (aargh!) is in September. We have nothing special planned, so I'm turning the August trip into my "50th Birthday Trip to Disney". Maybe that will justify some of the expense?

So the conversation about WDW was at the end of February...this did NOT leave me alot of time for planning IMHO. And so, I began the hunt for the best place to stay. Can you say room rates with a 40% off military discount? I can :cool1: As military, we often stay at Shades of Green (SOG) but with this discount, I couldn't pass up staying at a moderate for less money! We've stayed at Coronado Springs, which is just too big. After reading lots of reviews and recommendations, I chose a king bed room at the Port Orleans-French Quarter (POFQ). It sounds small and intimate. Since we'll have the car, transportation is not an issue, but I hate parking at DTD so the boat from POFQ to DTD sounds great! Okay then -- Arriving August 22, 2010. Staying 5 nights at POFQ, with check-out on Friday, August 27, 2010.

Tickets are easy too. Disney is having another fabulous military salute this year! 4-day tickets for $99, with hopping and water parks available at $25 each. That's only $149 for a 4-day hopper with water parks...I haven't bought the tickets yet because I don't know if we need the hopping or the water parks. The resort has a beautiful pool and we're only there for 4 days, so one park per day...What do you think?

Tickets are easy too. Disney is having another fabulous military salute this year! 4-day tickets for $99, with hopping and water parks available at $25 each. That's only $149 for a 4-day hopper with water parks...I haven't bought the tickets yet because I don't know if we need the hopping or the water parks. The resort has a beautiful pool and we're only there for 4 days, so one park per day...What do you think?

Even on short trips, DH & I prefer to have park hoppers... since we tend to eat a lot of our meals at Epcot. Since we typically make rope drop (well, on the last 2 trips anyway), we also find that we're done in one park by 2 or so, can go take a break at the resort, and then try a different park after our break. On a short trip, I wouldn't get water parks & more... although for that price, I'd be tempted to add it just in case. :teeth:

On a short trip, I wouldn't get water parks & more... although for that price, I'd be tempted to add it just in case. :teeth:

That's kind of how I'm leaning...since it'll be in August, the weather should be perfect water park weather. Thanks for your input :)

Five days and five nights...just the two of us...what to do for ADRs and food? I usually make one ADR per day and this trip has turned out a little different.

Monday - Snagged a 12:45 p.m. lunch ADR at Le Cellier in EPCOT. We haven't eaten there since our trip in 2006. We really like it and I always try to eat there, but staying off site can be a disadvantage when trying to get ADRs.

Tuesday - 8:45 a.m. breakfast at the Kona Cafe. In all the trips to WDW, I've never had the Tonga Toast...that will be rectified this trip. I'm thinking a nice, hearty breakfast since dinner isn't until...7:40 p.m. at the California Grill in the Contemporary. This restaurant is our favorite at WDW. It's a must when it's just the two of us...the very end of the observation deck is my absolute favorite viewing site for Wishes (even better than the Terrace after the dessert buffet). And by the time we're seated, have cocktails, appetizers, entrees, dessert & coffee, I know it'll be close to 10 p.m. when Wishes starts.

Wednesday - Sci-Fi Dine-in for a light lunch at 11:30 a.m. I'm thinking milkshake, soup, and ice cream sundae. Will eat offsite for dinner.

Thursday - 2 p.m. Afternoon Tea at the Garden View Lounge. I went here with DD and FDIL at Christmastime. We absolutely loved it! My DH appreciates a quiet break from the parks and good food. This is both. I think going together could also be pretty romantic :love:

My girls enjoying tea
232323232%7Ffp53396%3Enu%3D56%3C4%3E372%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A5748%3B66329nu0mrj

Late dinner ADR at Raglan Road in DTD...one of our favorites and a great way to end the visit.

The rest of our meals will be food court, counter service and snacks. I also plan to buy the refillable mugs because I drink lots of coffee and too much diet soda :rolleyes1

We'll be at Disney the same time you are! I love POFQ!

It just sounds like a great place for couples. Would you agree? I see you're staying at the Poly...I have always wanted to stay there. Maybe next time.

August 19-29, 2010:

Thursday, August 19th: Get up EARLY and drive and drive and drive...the goal: Tifton, Georgia.

Friday, August 20th: Get up EARLY and drive and drive and drive...arrive at the Jameson Inn, Lakeland, Florida. Head to St. Pete Beach and dinner on the shore.

Saturday, August 21st: Continental breakfast at the hotel. DD to FSC in the morning. Attend all family functions, meals, etc. as scheduled in the Orientation.

Sunday, August 22nd: Continental breakfast at the hotel & check out. Attend all family functions, meals, etc. with DD until they make us leave at 1 p.m. Stop at Port Orleans-French Quarter (POFQ) to check-in, etc. Travel to Oviedo in the afternoon to see Mom. Early dinner at restaurant of her choice. Head back to WDW and use Ticket day #1 = MK at approx. 6 p.m. until midnight closing (Extra Magic Hours). Time in park = 6 hours.

Monday, August 23rd: Breakfast at the food court or in EPCOT. Ticket day #2 = EPCOT at 9 a.m. rope drop. Spend morning in Future World. 12:45 p.m. lunch ADR at Le Cellier. Afternoon break at POFQ, thinking at the pool and hot tub. 6 p.m. return to EPCOT via International Gateway. Spend the evening in World Showcase. Counter service dinner and try out the new tequila bar. Stay for Illuminations. Exit via International Gateway; explore the Boardwalk...Time in park = 7 hours.

Tuesday, August 24th: No major theme park today. 8:45 a.m. ADR at Kona Cafe for breakfast. Spend the day at one of the water parks...both open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lunch at water park counter service. 7:40 p.m. dinner at California Grill, wait for a window table for Wishes, or watch from the observation deck. Time at water park = 5 hours.

Wednesday, August 25th: Ticket day #3 = 9 a.m. rope drop at DHS. Spend the day; early lunch at Sci-Fi Dine-in at 11:30 a.m. We've never eaten there...onion rings sound yummy. Take a late afternoon break. Going to try Roy's Restaurant on Sand Lake Road for dinner. Time in park = 6 hours.

Thursday, August 26th: Ticket day #4 = MK at EMH 8 a.m. rope drop. I got Joe an 8 a.m. tee time at Oak Trails for 9 holes. He can come to MK when he's done...2 p.m. ADR for afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge. Return to MK for a while or just go to POFQ for a swim. Finish the day with a boat ride to DTD, with shopping and an 8:30 p.m. dinner at Raglan Road. A perfect ending to a relaxing trip (I hope!)

Friday, August 27th: Get up EARLY and drive and drive and drive. Goal: Bent Creek Village (for two nights) in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

Saturday, August 28th: SLEEP IN. Breakfast at the condo. Golf in the a.m.? Relax at the pool? Go to the movies? It's a day of rest.

Sunday, August 29th: Bring Joe to Nashville International Airport for his flight back to San Antonio. From there, it's 5 hours north to home.

Sounds like fun :rotfl2:

You're going to love the food at V&A! We ate there for our anniversary last year. The food was amazing. But, don't be early! We were the only people in the restaurant from about 5:45 (they seated us very early, almost as soon as we checked in) until about 6:15 when the rest of the 6:00 reservations began to show up & get seated. It was kind of uncomfortable, having that many people with nothing to do but stare at us. :lmao:

But, don't be early! We were the only people in the restaurant from about 5:45 (they seated us very early, almost as soon as we checked in) until about 6:15 when the rest of the 6:00 reservations began to show up & get seated.

No chance of that! DH will probably be late to his own funeral :laughing:

I was looking at the calendar and realized that I have 98 days until we leave for Florida...that's DOUBLE DIGITS! And, 101 days until WDW...which is poetic :cloud9:

I guess it's time to decide on what tickets to buy and begin my park touring plan...woo hoo!!

BTW - DD graduates from HS in 8 days :sad2: and DS is home from college for 10 days before he starts his summer internship in Chicago :yay:

Well, Joe and I discussed tickets this past weekend. We decided that for only 4 days we really don't need park hoppers, so will save that added expense. But, he really wants to go to one of the water parks, so we will be adding that on. Total cost of two tickets, no hopping, with water parks, etc. is $248.

With that in mind, I have tweaked both my ADRs and my Itinerary.

And as of today, I have only 92 days until we leave for Florida! :thumbsup2

Well, my DD graduated on Saturday. It was short and sweet...I only "almost" cried 3 times :thumbsup2

232323232%7Ffp53374%3Enu%3D56%3C4%3E372%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D34854%3B%3C9%3A%3A329nu0mrj

As of today, 85 days until we leave for Florida...OMG!

Congrat's to your DD!!

How fun will V&A be?! I thought about it for this past May but decided I just couldn't pay that much to eat. Maybe for my 50th!! :)

Congrat's to your DD!!

How fun will V&A be?! I thought about it for this past May but decided I just couldn't pay that much to eat. Maybe for my 50th!! :)

Thanks! I am sooooo looking forward to V&A!! I am putting money aside every payday just to pay for it :rotfl2:

Gonna pop over and subscribe to your TR...

Hello again. So, I had a "Disney" talk with Joe yesterday. Lo and behold, he wants to golf (because it's included in the water parks & more option) and skip Animal Kingdom (because he only likes Expedition Everest). :confused3

So, now I'm fiddling with the itinerary again, and thinking about park hoppers...with only 83 days to go...

I should add that I do NOT want to golf and am leaning towards MK on our original AK day...or EPCOT because it's my favorite.

but who's counting? :lmao:

Are you "green" with envy?

Hope everyone is having a great start to their summer! I always find this limbo is the hardest...all ressies and ADRs made, but too early to start touring plans...just waiting :rolleyes1

Well, I am so disappointed!! I was looking forward to the return of one of my favorites, the Main Street Electrical Parade, but just found out that it will be gone mid-August, right before we go.:mad: I'm not much of a parade person...but this one is special. Is anyone else lucky enough to get to see it this summer?

I am super excited about Captain EO. :woohoo: We've never seen it, so it will be new to us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter