PTR-Disney Dream June 24, 2012 5 Night Podcast Cruise 3.0

Disneyfun1

Walt Disney World Lover-DVC Owner Since 1/07
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at doing a pre-trip report so I hope I can do it so it's enjoyable for anyone reading this.

We are booked to go on the Disney Dream June 24, 2012 5 night sailing, with 2 stops at Castaway Cay, which also happens to be my birthday on June 24 where I will be turning 46, and it happens to be the podcast cruise 3.0, which we did not know about when we did our booking.

To start, there will be 3 of us on this cruise, Myself-Art, wife-Lisa, and our Daughter Meghan, who will be one month shy of turning 17 when we board.

We originally re booked while on board our 5th trip on the Disney Wonder in Oct, 2010. We had originally booked for May of 2011 on the Dream, but then later changed it to June 2012 to go on my birthday and go when school is out. My oldest son could not decide to go with us or not at the time, who is 21 now, and when he decided to go, it was too costly to add him on, get his airfare, etc, so he has opted not to go with us.

On this trip, we are leaving Phoenix, AZ on June 22 at 6 am, getting into Orlando about 4 pm, then staying 2 nights at Bay Lake Tower using our DVC points, we are actually doing night 1 in a studio, then night 2 in a 1 bedroom(due mainly to using all our points up previously!), and after the cruise, spend one last night at the Boardwalk Villas in a studio before flying back on June 30th that afternoon.

We have had some ups and downs with this trip already. We originally booked to be in a cat 8C and had a cabin all assigned and everything. Normally, we like to send DCL money just about weekly to go with payday, as we are not wealthy by any means, but we do ok and plan to go to WDW at least once a year as a family trip, something I never had growing up, so that is important to me. I was born and raised in Ventura, CA, just north of LA, so I used to go to Disneyland all the time while growing up, yet always wanted to go to WDW and could never seem to afford it. Well one year, we got a little money and I said, if we dont go now, Ill never get there, so I finally got there for the first time in 1999. Since then, I have now been 16 times, with this upcoming trip being #17 for me and cruise #6. I have said somehow I will get there at least once a year now and have, even buying into DVC at SSR and BLT.

Back to the cabin, all was good, we got it all paid off by Feb of this year ahead of schedule. We booked this to go on my birthday of June 24, the day we set sail, and after we booked it we found it it was also podcast cruise 3.0. We inquired about joining it, but could not unless we cancelled our res and lost our room credit, etc., so we were fine with that. Then right after we paid off our room, I got an email that we could join podcast cruise 3.0 and not have to cancel, just switch it all over to DU travel. I was so happy we could do this, but then we hit a snag. The only way to transfer it is if we had not paid off our room and owed money on it. So we came up with upgrading to the next cabin level of an 8B and just paid the extra amount which was not all that much, we were now part of PC 3.0!

When we upgraded, we had to take a GTY room, figured no big deal, we get an 8B or maybe better! So of course, everyday since, i log into DCL to see if we have a room yet, nothing showed up for weeks, then finally about 2 weeks ago, we got a room! Problem was we got an 8A Handicapped Accessible room. I found pics of the room we got assigned, and while its bigger, it has no divider curtain, no split bath that we wanted, and with my wife and 16 y.o. changing, that wasnt good for us. We tried to see if we could be moved at all and were told they would see what they can do. After a week, we were told there was no place to move us and would keep looking, which basically meant they did not want to give us a verandah room for free, which is fine, they certainly dont have to, we even would have downgraded to get a regular room, but they said there were none for us. So now we decided for us, it was better to pay to upgrade ourselves and now have a cat 5D verandah room, with a stateroom number we picked, only thing we really lost was the extra inside room we wanted and the round tub that was new for the family staterooms. We are still debating on paying to upgrade to the 4D and get the bigger room and round tub and should decide by next week.

So now after all that, our pre cruise plans are to arrive in Orlando on Friday, June 22 about 4 pm, go to BLT and get our room, then go to Downtown Disney to look around for the night, have dinner at T-Rex, then head back to the room later that night.

Day 2 so far consists of going to Magic Kingdom, checking our Fantasyland and the rest of the park, Lunch at Crystal Palace, then either stay in MK or maybe go to Epcot for a bit. Later that night, we have dinner at Chef Mickey's planned, then either to MK or Epcot after dinner.

Day 3, the day we leave for the port, I was hoping to do the exotic driving experience at WDW and drive a Lamborghini on my birthday in the morning ever since I found out about it. We now it just so happens, they are on vacation just before we arrive, and until we are on the cruise. Such a bummer, I have always wanted to drive one of those cars and the only other day they have it open while there is the day we head back to the airport and i think with the times, it would be too close to chance it. So our plans now are to get up, maybe have breakfast at The Wave at the Contemporary or just have a quick serve meal, then take the Magical Express bus back to the airport so we can catch the DCL bus to the port. We prefer to do it this way instead of having to rent a car, or to wait for the bus to get us from the resort because I was told they dont come until noon or so. We like to get to the port early to relax, take pictures, etc. We are hoping to get to the airport about 930 or 10 then take the bus to be at the port about 11 or so. We have a check in time at the port of 11-1130.

The rest of the cruise for now will go as follows:

Day 1-Board the Disney Dream

Day 2-Castaway Cay-try and do the CC 5K, Palo 2nd seating

Day 3-Nassau

Day 4-Day at sea, Palo Brunch

Day 5-Castaway Cay

Day 6-Off ship, back to Boardwalk Villas, then to Hollywood studios for lunch at 50's Prime time, hope our favorite server Mark is working that day, then go to Epcot at night and have dinner at Rose & Crown.

The next morning we plan on breakfast at Cape May Cafe, then heading to the airport when our time comes.

I will say I just heard of the CC 5k, and while none of us have ever done anything like this before, we want to give it a try, I may be walking it most of the way, but would like to try and see if I can do it, as does my wife and daughter.

On another note, we are going to WDW just about 1 year and 1 week after I was able to adopt my step-daughter, Meghan, Which I am very proud to have been able to do!

Today, we spent most of the day designing and printing up magnets for our stateroom door, I cant wait to put them all on and hope they look good!

This will also be our longest voyage on the ship, as so far I have not been able to talk my wife into a 7 night cruise yet, she wants to work up to it, so we have only done 3 and 4 nights so far, and now this 5 night cruise coming up.

I will try to update as things change leading up to our departure, or at least once a week. I just hope this doesnt drag on for the readers, as I like to read the reports myself so i can find things i may not have thought of to do.

Here is a pic of the 3 of us going to give you an idea of who we are.

Enjoy!!

IMG_0235.jpg

Joining in! I'm also on this cruise and look forward to meeting you and your family.

-- Dave

Looking forward to meeting you on board. We will know who to look for when we board. We will be at BWV afterwards as well until July 5th. Can't believe it's only 5 weeks away!

See you soon!

TTFN :tigger:

Hi! I'm on the cruise too but not part of the Podcast. Hey, I have the same shirt that your wife has on! :)

So just a quick update for today, mainly read the boards to see whats going on, checked our room on DCL( you never know, they still could upgrade us??!!), cut out more items for the door decorations, and went on two walks to try and get ready to do the CC 5K, though now I'm doubting whether I can do it or not. Went out last night almost 2 miles, just walking a quick steady pace. I got the worse shin splits!, Then went this morning, same thing, and tonight again just a mile, and got them again. I even iced it earlier, wore a wrap this last time, have taken anti-inflammatory, etc. I did remember tonight about 20 years ago I fell off some steps and went to a foot dr for rehab. he said no tendons or anything needed repair. but just wondering if that is effecting my shin splint, only in my left leg, the same foot i hurt earlier. I dont know, but ill still try to walk a little and maybe it will work itself out. I go back to work tomorrow, as I work 4-10 hour shifts a week, tues-fri from 630-5pm, so maybe after dinner we will take a short walk and see. Tomorrow will be 1 month from when we leave for WDW! It's getting closer!

Still debating on upgrading our cabin, but still have not decided clearly yet.

Great start!
We take our cruise right after you! June29
I was thinking of trying the 5k too, just worried about the heat,

HI All!!

Well as of yesterday, We have 4 weeks until we fly out to Orlando to start our trip! Can't believe its finally coming so fast now. Not a lot to report this week, today we decided to change cabins on the cruise, we switched from a 5D to a 4C, so now we have the deluxe family oceanview stateroom with verandah. This way, we get more room inside. It is originally what we wanted and booked with the 8C, but with the verandah. After the whole mess up with them assigning the HA room, and then us upgrading from that, we figured we might as well just pay the difference and get the room we really wanted, since we were so close in money for it anyways. We are now on deck 7 of the ship like we were originally booked on, and we are now just about in the direct middle of the ship.

I did learn yesterday that there will be a 3 day conference at the Contemporary and President Obama will be speaking the day we fly in, which is day 2 of the conference. We dont land until 330 or so, so i think he may be gone by then, but if not, maybe we can catch a glimpse of Air Force 1 at the airport as we are landing if we are lucky!

Hopefully the extra security and secret service wont be too much of an issue, as after we get our room, we are going to DTD for dinner and the night, then we will be walking to MK the next day from Bay Lake Tower.

Have not had a chance to do any walking this week for myself, as I was doing 12 hour days this week, so hopefully I can see how my shin splint will do when i go for a walk later.

Hope you all had a good week!

Looking forward to meeting you. Your pre-cruise report is great and is making me realize how close this trip really is and how fast it will come.

I think it is ironic that we requested a handicap cabin but there weren't any available when we booked so we took a regular verandah cabin. I am sure it will work out but I have a scooter that I will need to park in the elevator bay. I never thought about the bathroom not being split in HA cabin. My husband really likes the split especially when we are getting ready to go out.

Good luck on your 5K prep. Take it slow and steady and don't overdo it as there is much walking to be done in Disneyworld and you don't want to have aggravated shins.

See you soon,

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

Today, we are spending the day making Fish Extender Gifts for the rooms that have signed up. We finally decided on what we are going to make and give, for the most part! This is going to take some time to get so many done! Have to run back to the store today as well and get some things that go with them to make them. I only hope that I dont forget anyone!!

Have not had time to walk at all this entire week, but hoping to later today. It is getting closer to going! For us, it will be 3 weeks from this coming Friday!! I am so excited!

Looking forward to meeting you. Your pre-cruise report is great and is making me realize how close this trip really is and how fast it will come.

I think it is ironic that we requested a handicap cabin but there weren't any available when we booked so we took a regular verandah cabin. I am sure it will work out but I have a scooter that I will need to park in the elevator bay. I never thought about the bathroom not being split in HA cabin. My husband really likes the split especially when we are getting ready to go out.

Good luck on your 5K prep. Take it slow and steady and don't overdo it as there is much walking to be done in Disneyworld and you don't want to have aggravated shins.

See you soon,

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

That is very strange that they told you there were no HA rooms available, yet we got one assigned to us that we dont need, and they told us there were no other cabins they could move us to! They said they would 'keep looking' for us, We just decided to pay the extra money to move up to another room instead, so I know that HA room opened up when we did.

HI all,

Well not a lot to report this week, but it is getting closer! We leave 3 weeks from last friday, or only 19 days from now! Yea, we are finally in the teens! Did not get any walking in at all this week, too much at work with 12 hour days this last week, and it was so hot here in Phoenix, it was 110 on thursday here, and its barely june now! Yuck!!

Still waiting on items to arrive by mail for FE gifts to finalize the last of them.

And, once again, we did a cabin change this morning. I know, shocker! Well yesterday I noticed our original cabin cat had an opening, an 8B, with a room we could book, not a GTY room like last time. It is the same room we already paid to move up to, without the verandah. Sure the verandah would be nice, but we could save $500 to not have it. We thought about it and decided to change and take the money on the trip with us to use onboard or for rebooking fees. Only thing we didnt like was it was AFT and on the Port side, we really wanted Forward and Starboard side, but we took it anyways, so now we are in cabin 9154, unless we get moved, but i think it too late to hope for any disney magic of a free upgrade with only 3 weeks until sail date from today to hope for that.

Hope everyone had a great week!

Art

Joining in for your PTR. Can't wait until my kids are out of school so we can start our designing, and printing up of our magnets for our stateroom door.

Hope you have a magical vacation ! ::MickeyMo

Today, we spent most of the day designing and printing up magnets for our stateroom door, I cant wait to put them all on and hope they look good!

HI All!

Well we leave one week from today for Walt Disney World! In fact at this exact time, our plane will be taking off at 6 am from Phoenix, AZ, heading to a layover in Atlanta, then finally into Orlando.

Just trying to get ready around here. Unfortunately I developed either a sinus infection or inner ear infection, not contageous, but throwing my balance off for sure. Been on all types of med to shake it and its still here, I have go see an ENT dr tomorrow-can you believe they got me in on a sat morning!-and hope they can get rid of it for me, i dont want to be flying or on a ship with either of these, that will make me really seasick i believe!, so i have another week to lose this!

Been waiting for some final things we ordered to arrive for our FE gifts, they better arrive soon so we can put them together!

This weekend, we will start packing some of our clothes and items we need. After everyone said they were fine with swimsuits, we had to run out last weekend and get new ones! But I think we are set now. I have already done the pre cruise resort check in online for Bay Lake Tower, and on tuesday i do the post cruise online check in for boardwalk villas with a boardwalk view.

Luckily our cabin assignment has not changed since the last change, so we are still in the cat 8B on deck 9 Aft.

Lots to do today, hope you all have a great day!

What a busy weekend!

We finally got the rest of the items for our fish extender gifts in the mail, so we spent a few hours finishing up all the items to go to cabins. Started packing on sunday and monday and got as much as we could done with that. Still have to work the next 3 days(10 hour+ days this week) before we leave on friday.

We will have to put the final things in bags on thursday night/friday morning for the trip. Our flight leaves at 6 am friday morning, so normally we would arrive about 4 am at the airport since they always recommend 2 hours early, but we will have to leave by 230 am to arrive by 3 since my son has to be at work at 4 am that day, and he is saving us money by driving us so we dont have to park there. Did online check in this morning for the post cruise night at Boardwalk Villas!

I have not been able to do any walking running since I have been dealing with this ear infection i seem to have gotten. I had to go to an ENT dr on sat morning- could not believe they had an opening on a sat morning!-but it seems to have gotten better since then. My wonderful wife has been up each morning and out each night walking and running so she can do the 5K on CC, i am so proud of her! I will probably give it a try, but sure i will be walking it.

Not sure if there will be any more entries before we leave since its only 3 days away so if not, i hope you have enjoyed this and some of you i will see on the ship!

I hope your ear gets better before you have to fly. :goodvibes I can only imagine how much that could hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter