• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PS?- allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

KYmommy

Mouseketeer
We will be in WDW in June with our DS (5) who is severly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. I have made PS (with a note of the allergies), DH plans on calling the chef within the week, we will call 7 days prior of our arrival and then speak directly to the chef when we get to the restaurant. But I was wondering, Can anyone tell me if they have been to any of these restaurants recently and what your experiences (good or bad) where with the staff and your allergic family member? I was wondering if maybe I have made bad choices with my PS's. I thought I was very careful. I looked at the menus before making my choices. Thanks so much for your help. Everyone here is wonderful and full of great information.

Chef Mickey's
Crystal Palace
LeCellier
Rainforest Cafe (AK)
Cindy's
SciFi
Liberty Tree
Concourse
Boatwrights

Thanks for your help,
Kris

:badpc: :earseek: :banana:

For our wheat-allergy special-meal requests, we had great experiences at Chef Mickey's and Concourse. In fact, all the Disney-managed restaurants were very well-prepared to help with our needs. LeCellier and Rainforest Cafe are managed by 'participants', not Disney. Though not these places specifically, we found the WS restaurants were not informed or ready to handle our requests; nothing was available except from the menu.

We went four year ago when my DS was 2. We went to Crystal Palace for Character dining w/out PS; the chef was wonderful by coming out and taking my DH to buffet and showing him exactly what he could and couldn't have.
We are going the end of this month with DS6, DS3 and DD1 all are allergic to all nuts. We have PS at CRT, CM's, & WC with a note about the allergies. I will post the results when we get back if that will help.

My 8yr dd is severely allergic to pn/tn also. We had the best dining experiences while at WDW. The chefs are great and will come out and speak to you about your options. They really are allergy aware and know all about cross contamination issues as well. You'll love it. My dd cried when we were leaving MK on our last night because she was sad that she had gotten to enjoy eating in so many restaurants and knew she wouldn't be able to when we got home.
Have a great trip!

Kris,

I've made PS's at almost the exact same restaurants as you - my 3 yr old is PA/TN and also a type 1 diabetic. The only place I'd wonder about is the Rainforest Cafe - just not sure how well they handle it.

As for Le Cellier I have a PS there and one of the chefs actually CALLED ME (!) about 6 weeks out from our trip. It was right before we went out of town for spring break and I still have to get back to him but I was impressed that chefs have actually called me rather than me calling them.

I'm interested in the comment about the WS restaurants only providing menu items for folks - was there a good choice already on the menu or ??? Of course LC is in the WS but I haven't talked to that chef yet. I'll be interested in what he says.... DS could probably eat well off the menu at most places as long as there were lots of choices....and that dessert was available. We seem to have the most problem finding desserts he can eat since we can't just stop for a cookie somewhere.

Thanks for all the help. Yes, I would love updates on trips before June.
I thought that all WDW restauants were managed by WDW. What is the deal with Rainforest and LeCerrier? Do you think it is safe?

Carol, Wow! That is great that a chef called you. Please let me know if there is a problem.

Any other help out there? YOu all are a great help.

Kris

I've read negative things about Rainforest - perhaps not specifically the one at AK. I can't point to anything specific and I haven't eaten there with DS since his allergies were diagnosed.

I will post and update for you after I call the chef at Le Cellier and see what he says. My DS is only 3 so not like we need a complex meal. I guess one thing that I'm perplexed by is that they are willing to make stuff for him so I don't know whether to only request things that I'm 100% sure he would eat or what. I never know exactly what he'll want to eat from day to day (some days he loves bread - some days not for example). I guess I have to mix it up but since he is diabetic he does need to eat a certain amount to help him stay steady.

Anyway Kris, I'll follow-up with you - hoping to call LC today if I get a chance.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Carol- I would love to know what they say. They are now on my ? list of PS's. Thanks for your help.

Anybody else eating at any of these places recently? I would really appriecate your help. Thanks.

Kris

I am allergic to tree nuts and have had good experiences all over WDW. Specifically from your list, we have eaten at CRT and Le Cellier and had good experiences at both. A word of caution - to anyone who might be considering Boma at AKL - even though the chef came out and gave me a guided tour of the buffet, it is so extensive that there are multiple chefs in charge of different types of foods. I was told by the chef that a certain dessert was ok - but my gut was telling me not to try it. DH tasted it and sure enough, there were nuts in it (confirmed also by a CM at the buffet). I found that nuts were a "hidden" ingredient in so many dishes (even the main courses) at Boma that even though DH really enjoyed it, we don't plan to go back because it was my most stressful meal in terms of the allergen avoidance.

HTH

I finally spoke to a chef at Le Cellier today and it sounds like they will be able to accomodate us with no problems. Most of their breads (at least the ones you'd really want to eat like the pretzel bread) are "may contains" and there are other items that are may contains but they do not use peanuts in their cooking so anything made there in the kitchen is fairly safe in the sense that there aren't peanuts around or peanut butter. They use a very high standard for saying things are safe to eat (the chef at LC was still worried a brownie that other chefs consider nut free could be a problem - trying to trace the source of the cocoa used in it). He offered me several alternatives for a dessert (DS is also a type 1 diabetic). We plan to touch base again in another week or two and I'll talk then to the Chef who will actually be working that night (the one I got today is working but has a meeting so won't be there while we're eating).

All I can say is that compared to 99.9% of the restaurants you might eat at with your child, they seem well informed, prepared and willing to help.

Carol- Thank you so much for letting me know how it went!!
Have a wonderful (and safe) trip!!
I cant wait. 53 more days for us. We have a countdown at our house. :cool1:

Kris

My DD5 is severely allergic to peanuts and we avoid tree nuts as well. We have had outstanding service in terms of her allergy in the following restaurants:

Cinderella's Royal Table (character breakfast)
Artist Point
Narcoosees
California Grill
Flying Fish

We found the chefs at these restaurants especially helpful and, most importantly, cautious.

I want to mention, however, one restaurant where I felt the information and concern was sorely lacking -- the ESPN zone on the Boardwalk. They seemed unable and unwilling to answer my questions.

Have a safe trip!

DVCDawn ::MinnieMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter