• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Protecting you phones from water

Umd115

Earning My Ears
Just checking to see what folks are doing to protect their iPhones from getting wet (splash mountain, kali rapids, the fl rainy season). I have a case for my phone but it is not weather tight. Was thinking of just bringing a ziplock Baggie or something. I have already lost one phone in a lake this summer. Would like that to be the only one I ever lose to water. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

Ziploc baggies are your friend. Light, small and easy to carry in your pocket. I usually double bag before going on a water ride, just in case there is a small hole in one of them.

I always keep a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag in my park bag to protect our phones if necessary.

Another ziplock user. Phones, cameras, keys... it works for everything.

I'm sure ziptops are fine. I personally use a lifeproof that I put on VERY carefully, checking to make SURE I've closed it all up (I've missed a spot sometimes even when I think I've done it! so I quadruple check). The Lifeproof is finicky and it's not an easy-on case, but it's working very well for me.

Just checking to see what folks are doing to protect their iPhones from getting wet (splash mountain, kali rapids, the fl rainy season). I have a case for my phone but it is not weather tight. Was thinking of just bringing a ziplock Baggie or something. I have already lost one phone in a lake this summer. Would like that to be the only one I ever lose to water. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

that's all I do.

Bring a ziplock for any water rides.

I've always collected all the phones and ziplock bagged them. However this year I have a lifeproof for my iphone looking forward to being able to snap pictures if it rains :-) (who am I kidding WHEN it rains lol )

Buying water proof is best IMO. But iphones not as lucky.

samsung.jpg

I have a cover on it (Otterbox Commuter) that has survived a toilet tumble, then ziplock baggie, buried centrally in my park bag, placed strategically on my lap to shelter. Sometimes under a cheap poncho. Never had a problem lol

We used waterproof pouches that we found at the store. We got ours at Target, but I've seen them in the camping section at Walmart as well. They come on a string, so you can wear them around your neck if you want. That's what I ended up doing. I just used that to carry my KTTW and other small stuff I wanted with me - some cash, a band-aid or two, etc. I just stuck my phone in there and closed it up on any wet rides.

I bought a Lifeproof case. They are waterproof to a depth of 6 ft and offer extremely good protection against drops. Your iPhone is guaranteed against damage. Just be sure NOT to buy one of the fakes sold on Amazon.

Lifeproof, you can even take underwater pictures. I second the thought, don't buy on amazon they are fakes. Expensive, but well worth the money.

I bought a Lifeproof case. They are waterproof to a depth of 6 ft and offer extremely good protection against drops. Your iPhone is guaranteed against damage. Just be sure NOT to buy one of the fakes sold on Amazon.

Lifeproof, you can even take underwater pictures. I second the thought, don't buy on amazon they are fakes. Expensive, but well worth the money.

Not all of them are fakes. You have to be careful what seller you're buying from, and IF you get a fake, let amazon know IMMEDIATELY! Their a to z policy will protect you, and they will get to work getting rid of the seller. They want fakes just as much as you do = not at all.

Not all of them are fakes. You have to be careful what seller you're buying from, and IF you get a fake, let amazon know IMMEDIATELY! Their a to z policy will protect you, and they will get to work getting rid of the seller. They want fakes just as much as you do = not at all.

Looking back at my post I guess it did seem like I implied that ALL the ones sold on Amazon are fakes, that is NOT the case. Basically if the price seems too good to be true, it is. Best to go to www.lifeproof.com and they have an article on the fakes sold on Amazon. Basically, if you buy on Amazon be sure to only buy from stores that state: "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com” or “Ships from and sold by LifeProof.

Before I knew about the fake stuff I bought a headphone adapter and docking adapter for the Lifeproof case from Amazon...both were cheap knock-offs and got tossed in the garbage.

iPhone 4S owner. Floridian. WDW frequent guest. Outdoor runner even in pouring rain... snack-size Ziploc for me :thumbsup2

I have a cover on it (Otterbox Commuter) that has survived a toilet tumble, then ziplock baggie, buried centrally in my park bag, placed strategically on my lap to shelter. Sometimes under a cheap poncho. Never had a problem lol

I am so happy to read I'm not the only one who does this! The only exception is I don't have an Otterbox. I double Ziploc it! My phone has been great so far. I also bring bags that are more water resistant, like my Longchamp nylon tote. I've used that in torrential downpours and nothing inside has ever been even slightly wet. I am thinking of investing in a Lifeproof though, just in case (I'm quite clumsy!).

A life proof case is a good idea but not everyone wants to shell out that kind of money (I prefer otterbox's waterproof case as it holds up to my seadoo weekends) especially if all you're trying to do is keep rain out at wdw not go diving with it.

We used ziploc bags on all of our iPhones/cameras in October. It takes 2 seconds in line to put them in a bag and you save a lot of $$$ vs buying a whole new case.

Also, life proof doesn't like to honor the warranty on the cases sold from Amazon so be careful.

jade1 said:
Buying water proof is best IMO. But iphones not as lucky.

I agree. I got a ruggedized water-resistant smart phone an I love it for the parks. No worries about moisture, submersion, or impacts. It's worry free and tough enough so far.

I use a quart-size freezer bag. I can use the phone through the bag in the rain. :lmao: On Kali (which I don't usually go on, I'm not a water ride fan), I just leave my phone in the locker with my purse. I've had a Lifeproof case and hated it. I don't even use my Otterbox anymore, I've gotten very used to a Mophie battery case instead. Your mileage may vary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter