• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pros/Cons----Packing Cubes

maslex

DIS Veteran
I've seen these around quite a bit but haven't bought any yet.

If you have them, do you like them? Are there any cons to them at all? What are you favorite brands and sizes?

Thanks!

I used them last year 2018 for the first time and loved them. When I travel to California I do a split stay, a few days in LA and a few days at Disney. I packed my LA clothes in 1 cube, my Disney clothes in another cube. This way I could keep things separate and not have to worry about planning outfits. It also helped when I was leaving LA and transferring to Disney, I didnt have as much repacking to do.

I bought set of 3 full size Eagle Creek cubes. Love them. I also use the promotional bags you get everywhere. Lightweight, you can hang them on hangers or hooks in the bathroom. Really helps when space is limited. Helps my husband to be more organized too! The cubes work good in drawers. And both the cubes and the promotional bags are so easy to pack into the luggage.

I used them for the first time this summer and I liked them a lot.

I travel a lot for work and personal, and I couldn’t live without my packing cubes. They keep things neat, organised, and definitely do reduce the volume of space that your clothes take up, even with rolling them.

I’m currently away for 3 nights and my husband and I have managed to get our clothes, including one nicer outfit and swimwear, into one standard cabin bag (between us) using packing cubes. They are amazing!

thanks for your replies. are there any brands better than the other? or are they pretty much equal?

thanks for your replies. are there any brands better than the other? or are they pretty much equal?

I have various brands but I have been happy with the Amazon Basics ones. Eagle Creek is the big “name brand” version in the US, though not in the UK (where I am), but having read lots of reviews, I’m not convinced they are worth the money. Just make sure you get ones with a mesh top (fully or partly mesh) so you can see what is in your bag. Handles are nice but not necessary.

I don't see any cons to them.

Since I've been using them I feel like I can pack more. Everything just becomes more organized and it's been easier to pack other things around them because my clothes are contained in the cubes that have a set shape.

Here's what mine looked like when I packed for Vegas several years ago:

Most of the time I organize the cubes by types of clothes. For instance the small one is used for socks, underwear and layering tanks, middle sized one used for slightly bulkier things and my pjs as well as shirts, large one used for pants, skirts, shorts and bulky things. Doesn't always work out that way but mostly that's how I do it.

Mine are Sharper Image brand bought at Marshalls several years ago but Amazon has a ton of ones to choose from and different sizes in the packs you can buy.

Ours look similar to those above, although I purchased them from Amazon. I also see no cons to them. :) Things stay folded or rolled much better in the cubes, which I really like, and things are less likely to get tumbled about or go missing. :)

I don't see how there would be any cons. We have a bunch of them. I bought everyone a different color set and we all use them when we travel. They makes organizing and finding things so much easier.

Only con is it takes more time to pack things.

On the trip I use one as the "dirty" bag to keep worn clothes separate from clean.

I see no cons either. I noticed the price jumped up on the 3 full size I bought so I guess I got a good deal. I don’t use them for the one or two dressy things I pack , but sure is helpful for organizing underwear socks, swim suits and coverups, nightgown and light robe, gym clothes, Columbia shirts and tee shirts.

I use them and can't imagine traveling without them. I started with the Eagle Creek brand and they have held up for years with no issues. One of the advantages that I have found is that if security feels the need to go through your luggage or even if you need to get something out of your suitcase while traveling, the packing cubes keep all of your items together, making repacking easier. My 10 year-old son had his suitcase pulled aside on our most recent trip. The security agent opened his bag, lifted the packing cube of clothes, found his scuba mask sitting underneath it, replaced the cube, and sent him on his way.

As for what sizes of cubes I use, I use the Eagle Creek medium (M) cube for my t-shirts and pj's, the small (S) cube for underwear and socks, and the slim cube to hold my hair straightener, brush, and miscellaneous items in check. If I ever traveled with more than casual wear, I would definitely look into getting a packing folder as well.

All of my cubes are in black, but I did buy a bright red extra small cube (XS) to use for a minor emergency kit, so it is easy to locate. It has things like band-aids, an eyeglass repair kit, duct tape, a small sewing kit, pain relievers, etc. in it.

The Pac-It Sacs (different sizes) are great for keeping your seat items together on a plane (book, headphones, charger, lip balm, snacks) and are also moisture-proof, so they work if you need to bring a damp bathing suit or exercise wear home with you or if you want to protect items from moisture on a rainy day. They are also good if you want to keep all of your cords and cables together in one place (we travel with a USB hub with chargers for electronics, FitBits, etc.).

In the same vein as packing cubes, but an item that I don't see mentioned as much, are the personal organizer toiletry bags (L.L. Bean has several sizes and their bags come highly recommended online). I have always just tossed all of my bathroom items into a random toiletry bag when I travel, but after my daughter traveled with us this last trip and brought her "improved" toiletry bag with her, I admit that I am sold. I will preface this by saying that if all you need when you travel is a toothbrush and a razor, then this might not be a must-have item, but if you are like me, being responsible for carrying all of the little toiletry items for your family that they expect you to have (nail clippers, file, dental floss, cotton swabs, make-up wipes, etc.) then this might be the kind of bag that you need. There is something to be said for arriving at your destination, unzipping your toiletry bag, and using the sturdy hook to hang it from the door of the bathroom or even the shower bar, giving the whole family access to the items they need inside. This is especially great during camping trips where the organizer may carry your bath items as well. If you have the TSA Pre-Check, that is even better, as your liquids can be left inside the bag without having to be sorted into a quart bag and are right where you need them when you arrive.

All this being said, would I consider packing cubes a NEED? No. People have been direct packing their items into suitcases for all time with few ill-effects and, let's face it, cubes are an investment. But, if you like the organization part of it, want to fit a bit more into your suitcase, or just want to make unpacking easier when you arrive, then cubes and other items in the various packing systems might be something you want to look into.

We had never used them until last March. College aged son had a trip to Costa Rica for one of his classes (Tropical Field Ecology). They were there for 10 and stayed in 4 different lodges/hotels. The packing cubes made it much easier, since he basically lived out of his duffle bag, rather than packing/unpacking every couple of days. He put all similar items together, and was able to live out of his bag instead of having to root through the whole thing every day to find what he needed.

I also agree that there are no cons to the packing cubes. I often find myself changing where certain items for the family will go repacking from one suitcase to another. These are a lifesaver. Also if you are doing a split stay it makes it much easier as well. The only con is maybe it takes you a little longer to pack, but the time cost is pretty insignificant.

I really like the packing cubes. Everything is organized by clothing type and easy to locate. I also got toiletry bags which I organize by type too such as shower, shampoo etc in one, a first aid kit in another, makeup in another, and over the counter meds in another. It makes finding things so easy. I just take out each bag and put it on the sink shelf. When it is time to pack to go home, just put them back in the suitcase. It does take awhile to pack them at home but so worth it.

I used them for our trip to England this summer, and I will NEVER go back to plain packing again. I bought these on a whim: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IB8QFLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gone 10 days and was able to use a carry-on size suitcase -- used 1 large one for capris/jacket, 2 medium ones for shirts, small one for lingerie, and another small one for my cords and electronic stuff.

I travel frequently for work, and this was the first I'd even heard of them. Sounds dumb, but I watched a few YouTube videos on how to use them, and it was really helpful.

I use the packing cubes for clean clothes and take a travel vacuum bag (the kind you roll the air out) for dirty clothes coming home and can’t imagine traveling without them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter