Pro's & Cons of 1st week of Dec.

Crowd wise, the better time is the full week BEFORE Thanksgiving. The crowds are low, the MVMCP is earlier enough in the season that the locals aren't going yet, so they don't typically sell out.

The downside is that the Christmas decor is just starting to go up in parks (other than MK which is decked out because of the party) and the resorts. And of course all the great Christmas goings on in EPCOT (Candlelight Processional, Christmas Around the World) and DHS (Osborne Lights).

But...December also can be a bit colder than mid November (but then we have also been some years that December was still shorts and Ts).

I did see the crowd levels for that full week in November and I would have loved to go then but I am having enough trouble getting my husband to think we need to go back a year later. If I suggested that week it would be a def NO as that is his hunting camp week and he wont give that up. I have to pick the battles. ;)

I'd like to add also that for years we were 3rd week of September people (my favorite time to go!). As I said, the crowds were heavier (of course) but not bad, especially if you plan wisely and mind the crowd calendar. Even if the parks are heavier than they predict, they do steer you away from the heavier crowd parks (EMH days, parade taping, etc)

Following, I'm interested in the first or second week of December also.
We have been to the parks several times the first week of December. It was much more crowded this past December than in previous years. There were several people on our flight home that said the same thing. This used to be what WDW considered a down week but it certainly wasn't a down week this time.

been going the first week in Dec just about every other year since Dec 2000. Upside is that crowds are low, waits are low, Christmas decorations are all up, the Christmas entertainment is all over the parks just a very nice experience.
I have a picture (but can't find the file right now) of walking from Norway to China in Epcot in Dec 2013 at about 11:30 am and there was no one on the walkway ahead of us. No lie!
But later on the crowds did show up. Times for waits have gone up in later years , but never waited longer then 20 minutes for anything except Toy Story.
Weather has been all over the place. The 1st year on a Sunday we went to the HOB Sunday brunch and it was 60 when we went in and was almost 85 when we got out. DW got heat sick.
Down side includes Pop Warner and the cheerleaders teams. My experience with both of them have been negative at best. Both when are out at the parks at night act as if the own the parks and you need to get out of their way. I have talked to other visitors who stayed near them at the resorts and say it's even worse. Parents and couches both state that WDW owes them for POP to come to WDW because WDW would be empty without them.
Another down side is to avoid DTD on Friday nights, Saturday pms into the night and all day Sunday. This is when the locals come out. And that is the same for MK when the Christmas parde is being taped

We've done that time of year four times (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013). Weather, while changeable and subject to wide variations one day to the next, is great IMO. Generally not so hot that it saps your strength and you just want to get into air-conditioned comfort and not so cold that you freeze standing in line. You do need to be prepared for that wide variation of temperatures and for after dark temperatures. I never wear shorts even though occasionally it can get close to 80 degrees simply because after dark you will want long pants and I don't want to have to go and change. A fleece jacket or hoodie will normally get you through the evenings with a long short underneath; you can take the jacket off and tie it around your waist if it's really warm but I find that you'll still need that long sleeve. Pools or water parks are only going to be good during daylight hours (it still gets too cold after dark for water) and you don't really know in advance if that will be too cold. We always avoid pools and water parks in December. That is one con especially if you're staying at the Beach Club. We've never been able to take advantage of the cool pool there. We're always in the parks during the day and it's definitely too cold at night to swim.

We've always been able to get the hotels we want, ADRs we want and most attractions have much lower lines than at other times of year. Some still get quite busy, which is where we use FP+. For the last few years I've read people saying that the first/second week of December is busier than in previous years, but I didn't find that to be our experience last year or 2012 and 2011. Perhaps their expectations are different than ours or their previous experiences in other years were better but we thought that the time of year works great and will be our go-to time (in the process of considering Dec 2015). Perhaps its just that we compare it to our previous times when we used to go April/May.

Decorations are up, Osborne lights are up, different street performances some of which are focused on the holidays and some of the resorts have wonderful gingerbread constructions to see. Special or different fireworks displays and parades. We never bother with the candlelight processional - not our kind of thing so I can't say much about it other than to make sure you know when it starts in case you have to pass through that area during that time because it often gets blocked off. We've had to find an alternate route a couple of times to get to ADRs on time.

A friend of ours talked us into MVMCP in 2011 which we previous considered to be for children only (it's just the two of us). We've done it three times now and really enjoy it. We aren't parade people but we do love Disney parades - somehow they are able to make me like them and the MVMCP one is great. The fireworks are spectacular and then we spend the rest of the evening hitting the attractions as the attendance starts to drop off. The hot chocolate and cookies may not be five-star quality but it does somehow make it feel more like Christmas and presents an interesting contrast for us to the warmer weather (even when it's "cold" in Florida, it's considerably warmer than here).

The biggest con for us is that we get back only a week or two before Christmas and I have to start shopping and getting ready for the holidays. I really don't feel like it at that point and have little time to do it along with everyone else who has left it to the last minute. Everyone at work is starting to slow down while I'm trying to catch up and get things done so it's a bit frustrating. Then I have to work through the holidays since I used up my vacation and I can't take time off again even if I have days left and someone has to cover certain activities during the holidays and that's me. However, the pros (slow season, lower cost, greater availabilty of everything, decor, activities, and nice weather) greatly outweigh the cons.

Echoing the others, it won't be the low crowds you saw in September. This year (and for the last couple), the first week of December coincides with the week after Thanksgiving due to a late Thanksgiving date (unless you mean the first FULL week of December which would be the next week). Because there's one less week between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it becomes more crowded by default.

We usually go the week before Thanksgiving, so the benefit of this time of year is the holiday decor and events. Really special time. The negative for us has been that we have not had good luck with the weather. We also went during September before and did not enjoy the heat/humidity, but we've experienced more rain in November - the steady kind, versus the pop up shower you see in September. This past trip, we experienced cold temps, even record cold on some days. Mornings were in the 40s and 50s and cloudy, and didn't warm up to the 60s until much later in the afternoon. For about 3-4 days out of our week, we had hoodies/North Face jacket layers on with pants. We unfortunately weren't able to go swimming, and we couldn't enjoy sundaes from the Plaza, Dole Whips, or even some frozen drinks in the WS at Epcot. Too cold! We had said we'd almost prefer the heat to the cold - we were ice cubes after coming off outdoor rides. When temps did warm up, it was still cold in the mornings so you had to decide if you'd brave the cold in a t-shirt for a few hours until it warmed up or hassle with tying a jacket around your waist. You never knew how to leave the room. The weather was a bigger drag than I anticipated.

We've been the first week of December for several years now, and this year our experience was much like what Mambo Junkie described.

There used to be a huge difference in crowds between Thanksgiving week (last week of November) and the week after (the first week of December) but last year and especially this year the difference wasn't as much.

But it's still our favorite time of the year to go.

This was also our experience when we arrived the day after Thanksgiving and left on December 6th of 2013. The parks were busier than I had expected and MVMCP was sold out for the night we were there(we did have our tickets) and I was also glad we purchased a Candle Light Processional dinner package because the line formed at least two hours before the show. But with all that said, I loved this time of year and will certainly do it again. :goodvibes

We did Dec 2 to 6 this year (2014). We went to the Dec 2nd Christmas Party - crowds were ok, we waited about 20 minutes for 7 Dwarves and walked on just about everything else. It wasn't the lowest crowd level I've ever seen, but more on the middle of the scale. However, once the rain hit right around the fireworks, it was a ghost town which was really amazing. Though we didn't get much of the actual party experience - no parade, no snow, no meet & greets - because of the rain.

We went to AK & Epcot on Friday, and the change in crowd level was huge. It was probably the busiest I've ever seen AK (and I've gone Labor Day weekend). We skipped out on a lot of Epcot because the waits for Soarin & Test Track were over 2 hours (with no more FP+ available). It was really disappointing and I think between the combination of everyone planning on the parade taping (and therefor avoiding MK) and the start of the weekend crowd made both parks spike compared to the low crowds of the earlier part of the week. We spent Wed & Thurs over at Universal with almost no crowds. We walked onto everything, including Gringotts.

Weather-wise, it rained a bit every day except friday. Only Tuesday night was really bad, the rest of the time was just quick showers. It stayed in the 70's, and we were pretty comfortable in shorts and tshirts the whole week.

Last 3 years we've gone the week before Christmas - usually ranging around the 13th to 20th or thereabouts.

We've always had really good luck. The weather's been pretty good - we managed to get in some pool time even if we had to wear our winter coats to the parks some mornings.

This year was the highest crowds we've seen in all three years, probably because park attendance is up overall. So we would see standby lines at 7DMT or Toy Story of 120 minutes. However, other stuff you could walk on.

We really enjoy MVMCP but the early parade and show are CROWDED. I'd only do it with an older kid who can stay up late and take advantage of the later times.

Seeing the Osborne lights is a really big treat for us too.

So I was able to talk my husband into another Disney Vacation :) He says after this one not every year :( I am thinking it is going to be November 30th or maybe the 1st to the 8 or 9th.. I do have younger kids (8,7,and one who will turn 5 while we are there) and this past year we staying to 12am during the MNSSHP. We just took the day off, slept in and had the 2 younger ones nap and went there for 4:30. I am so excited and already want to start planning it. Got to hold out now until the hours and crowd planners come out on easywdw. Thanks for all you input... I am super excited to go and see all the Christmas stuff!!!!

We are planing to go 12-19 or 20th staying at movies. My DH voted Movies looks better, and gives us chance for free dining. Yes it might be a bit crowded however most days Touring plan says will be 3 and 4, the 6, 7, 10's start after the 20th.

We had thought of going 30-8th for my b-day but we all talked about it and think we want to go later.
The cold is something we will need to pack for, this year in AZ it has been colder as well so we will be ready for next Dec.

We visited WDW the first week of Dec. and stayed at the Dolphin. It was busier in the MK that we are used to in Sept/oct but not impossible. The only terrible crowds were at the Osborne Lights.....Yikes! We literally could not move at all! :scared1: Day times were pretty good, but it was COLD in the evenings! And it seemed like almost all of the MVMCP's this year were sold out, so plan accordingly. :santa:

We were there Nov 30th to Dec 5th, 2013 and it was busier than I hoped it would be. One of the nice things about that time of year is that there are a lot of Christmas activities like Candlelight Processional and the storytellers at Epcot. We wished we had more time to catch it all.

One of the disadvantages of that time of year is there are a lot of Christmas parties which close the MK for everyone except party guests. So that means the MK is extra crowded on non-party nights. But other than that it is okay.

I wouldn't add the water park passes until I got to Florida. The weather is not very dependable that time of year and even a 24 hour forecast can be really wrong.

This is the week I normally go.

Pros:

Lower crowds
Holiday decorations up

Cons:

Weather can be unpredictable. Could be warm (low 80's), could be pleasant (70's) or it could be colder (50's or 60's). And odds are if you are there long enough you will experience some of each.
Pop Warner football event --- though the impact of this is mostly at the All Star resorts where they stay.

So I was able to talk my husband into another Disney Vacation :) He says after this one not every year :( I am thinking it is going to be November 30th or maybe the 1st to the 8 or 9th.. I do have younger kids (8,7,and one who will turn 5 while we are there) and this past year we staying to 12am during the MNSSHP. We just took the day off, slept in and had the 2 younger ones nap and went there for 4:30. I am so excited and already want to start planning it. Got to hold out now until the hours and crowd planners come out on easywdw. Thanks for all you input... I am super excited to go and see all the Christmas stuff!!!!

:banana: Good for you, OP! Have a great time planning... you'll have a wonderful time being there during the Christmas season!

Congrats! You will love it! I just looked up our dates for the last trips: Dec 8-13, 2011; Nov. 29-Dec 4, 2012, Dec. 12-17, 2013, and Nov. 15-22, 2014. I definitely recommend going after Thanksgiving for the full Christmas effect. I really missed some of the holiday decor/events by going before Thanksgiving this year (no CP or Holiday storytellers in Epcot, most resort decor was not up etc.). As other posters have said, be prepared for any kind of weather--even if you check the forecast right before you leave. I have had temps in the 30's to the 80's during these trips, so winter gear is a must for me! Make sure you keep tabs of the room only discounts or free dining specials and check to see if you have any PINs. One year, I was able to use a pin for FD for dates that were blackouts for the public FD offer. MANY of the MVMVPs sold out this year, including Nov 20 (Thurs) and 21st (before Thanksgiving). I would suggest looking at forecasts and buying tickets ahead of time. We were hoping to go on the Thursday (crowd predictors had this as the 3rd or 4th lowest predicted party), but it sold out by Monday of that week. When we found that out, we got tickets for Friday, which then sold out also. Make sure you book your dining as early as possible if you are going during a free dining period. I was amazed at how many places booked up. I'm sure you'll be looking at the boards for tips for your trip as it gets closer, but make sure you take time for Osborne Lights. Also try to fit in some resort touring--especially Epcot resorts and GF:) It really is a magical time to visit. My DH said the same as yours about not going every year, but as you can see, he changed his tune (but we are traveling as a couple--kids are grown now and have been in college or working for these trips:) Have fun planning!

We are planing to go 12-19 or 20th staying at movies. My DH voted Movies looks better, and gives us chance for free dining. Yes it might be a bit crowded however most days Touring plan says will be 3 and 4, the 6, 7, 10's start after the 20th.

I respectfully disagree. It will START at 6 and go from there. This year the first week of December, which is slower, was easily a 5-6.

Keeping an eye on this thread for sure - as we're planning a holiday time trip as well.:thumbsup2 Crowd level predictors say the first week of Dec is a good one, but sounds like not as good as we would all love!

Hmmm, really want the full holiday experience. How much would we be missing if we went the week prior to Thanksgiving? Is it worth splitting the week - Going with low crowds mid-week the week prior and ending just before thanksgiving? :confused3

I'm a basket case trying to nail down our dates as well.. Leaning towards November 14 for 6 days (lower crowds???? hahah) or 1st or 2nd week of December. I don't need ALL the Christmas lights. but would love to see the AKL done as it is spectacular!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter