Pro's & Cons of 1st week of Dec.

Shrimp332

Mouseketeer
Hello,
After going to Disney this past September 11th to the 19th, I want to go back so bad. We had an amazing time loved the very low crowds, did the MNSSHP (amazing). We had 4 day park hoppers with WP&M staying 8 days at Shades of Green. The only bad part of our trip was how Hot and Humid it was. So I am looking for another slow time with cooler weather. We would like to hit another party MVMCP. So can anyone give me some first hand knowledge of the first week in December. Is it worth getting the water parks at this time of year? How crowded would the weekday parties be? Do they normally sell out around this time? All pros and cons are welcome!!! Thanks

Hello,
After going to Disney this past September 11th to the 19th, I want to go back so bad. We had an amazing time loved the very low crowds, did the MNSSHP (amazing). We had 4 day park hoppers with WP&M staying 8 days at Shades of Green. The only bad part of our trip was how Hot and Humid it was. So I am looking for another slow time with cooler weather. We would like to hit another party MVMCP. So can anyone give me some first hand knowledge of the first week in December. Is it worth getting the water parks at this time of year? How crowded would the weekday parties be? Do they normally sell out around this time? All pros and cons are welcome!!! Thanks

We were there the first week in December in 2013. All MVMCPs were sold out that week. But, all parties except for Tuesday's were sold out the following week.

The weather was very warm that year. We didn't even need to wear a sweatshirt during the parties and DDs were in shorts throughout that week.

Because Neil Patrick Harris was hosting during the Parade taping, the other parks weren't very crowded. We entered DHS at 3:00ish on Saturday and the streets were very empty from the entrance gates all the way to ToT. Waited about 5 minutes to ride ToT. The Parade taping is traditionally that first weekend in December (except for this past December) so it could keep the crowd level down in the other parks.

We thought it was a great time to go crowd and weather-wise.

We are always September people as well. I think we were there about the same time last year. We surprised our "kids" (teenagers) a few years ago and left the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. We have ALWAYS wanted to go during the lights. It was beautiful but cold. We are from Ohio and it was -5 here today so we know cold. To walk around Disney with gloves and hats on was kind of different. Made for some interesting outdoor rides. The crowds were so/so, not as light as we were told that they would be. We hit the ground running and didn't stop. We also did the MVMCP and loved it. We saw the parade, fireworks and did rides, no shows. That is where all the people were. We got to stay on Splash 3 times without getting off, but again , it was cold out. We wore rain ponchos as not to be soaking and freezing! The next year we went during the same time again, a little warmer, it was great during the day to wear Capri's (we always wear flip-flops so they knew we were from up north) and it was still pretty cool. The weather that time of year goes back and forth. As for Water parks pass, well we do that in September but did not in December. They turned out to be closed all the days but one for cold weather. I wouldn't add it until you got there if you decided to go. Now I will also say that Pop Warner starts coming in so lots of players and cheerleaders around but they were at games and events. I heard it really affected the week after we left as they were eliminated. The Christmas Parade was also taping during this week at MK and it was CRAZY. I will never go there again on a Saturday that they are taping. We thought it can't be that bad and it was! They estimated the time to eat counter service to be at 1 1/2 hrs and we left and ate at the CR, which was great. I encourage people to go, as the Osborne Lights are worth ever second, gives me goosebumps every time I think about it. If you have any other specific questions, let me know but I know it has picked up in crowds as they are not offering free dining during that time last two years.

We went last year (2013) from Dec 5-9 a short trip but a very nice trip. We had moderate crowds nothing crazy. We went during pop warner weekend and one night at the MK noticed more pop warner people, other wise nothing crazy. Crowds were great for us!

Weather for us was good but I wouldn't bank on that we had warm days and could have done the pool or water park but friends who went this year said it was freezing! I would skip the water park pass but that's just me... If you get warm days the pool will be plenty.

I loved the Christmas decorations, including the Osborn lights, which was very crowded but well worth it! We skipped the party so I can't comment but I'm trying to convince DH we need to hit the party next year (2016)

Enjoy!

We went in 2012 and 2014. 2012 was very nice, not too crowded, had some rain, but not much, temperatures from 60s to high 70s. MVMCP was a delight, we did lots. The new Fantasyland was just beginning to open, and the only thing they had was the Ariel's grotto area.
This past year (2014) was a lot more crowded, but if you use the fp+ for the hard to get rides, you could get those done. Actually MK was crowded; the other parks, not so much. We also made the mistake of going to HS on an EMH night, so if you read the crowd calendars, you can avoid some of it, but it was busier than the calendars predicted.
We did MVMCP on Dec 2nd ( a Tuesday) which I highly recommend. The weekends are much busier, and Thursday was packed ( as I heard). On our night, I was able to do quite a bit. **Note** I made the mistake of booking the Tomorrowland Terrace Wishes Party for my MVMCP night. Do not do that! It cuts into your party time. If you must do it, choose another night. Lines weren't very long. We arrived the day after Thanksgiving, and Friday, Saturday were pretty busy. Rest of the week, not so much. I think if you follow the advice of go early, leave mid day, come back later you'll have a great time. We also had 2 little ones with us, so we burned a lot of time getting autographs. The wait on the party night for Jack Skellington was relatively short. I had heard of 2, 3 hour waits, and ours was 30 minutes or less. He really interacted with each person, so that took time, but it was great! The decorations are very pretty, and it snows on Main Street as well as HS back in the Osbourne Family Lights area. Temperatures ranged from cool (first couple of days - 60s) to mid 70s and a couple of days high 70s. Very pleasant. This year, from my experience and reading other trip reports, it seemed bo be a bit of rain. I'd say overall, it was more crowded than I expected. We still had a great time with the girls. I'm not crazy about the new fp system but I'll leave it at that; that's just me and my touring style. If you enjoy it and know how to work it, even better! I recommend going, at least once. A good break: there was no free dining that week. It stopped before Thanksgiving week and I don't think it started back up until around December 12th.

ETA: If you are interested at all in going to the Candlelight Processional. Neil Patrick Harris is usually there from the end of November (29th, 30th - Dec. 1st, 2nd) If you book the 30th or the 1st, you pretty much hit it; assuming, of course, he's going to narrate in 2015. If not, they have other wonderful narrators!

The parks are generally fairly slow at that time, DVC is very crowded but other than that it is fairly empty. Also the weather is very up and down it can be 75 degrees or 30 degreeas and might be both over the the course of a day.

Thanks... We are from NH and was just -25 the other day but with added wind child it was -45 so I know the cold. 50/60 sounds wonderful right now :) We have to buy specific tickets in advance and not sure we can easily change it because they are the military tickets.. From what I have read I would def. stay away from MK when the taping is happening.. I like moving freely about.

Thanks... We are from NH and was just -25 the other day but with added wind child it was -45 so I know the cold. 50/60 sounds wonderful right now :) We have to buy specific tickets in advance and not sure we can easily change it because they are the military tickets.. From what I have read I would def. stay away from MK when the taping is happening.. I like moving freely about.

Per Steve at the military website (http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Disney-Armed-Forces-Salute.html), you CAN add on the WP&M option after you get there. You would just buy the Salute w/hopper at your base, and if you decide you want to upgrade after you get to Disney, you can.

When we were there in 2012 we were there from Dec 1st - 8th. I remember taping was going on a couple of days. We were planning on spending our day at another park, but we buzzed over there to stand on the train station platform and watch a while (saw cheerleaders and Stormtroopers) before heading out.
This past year, we were there from November 28th - December 5th. As far as I know, there was no taping that week. It didn't start until the following week which, I hear, is a busier week. When they are taping, they have more groups in (cheerleaders, bands, etc)

Hello,

We arrived in 2014 on 12/11, which is the second week of December. We had cold weather during our stay. Highs in the 50s and low 60s, low about 40. Waterparks were closed. However, the week before it was in the low 80s. You just won't know until the forecast comes out for your trip.

I think the first week in December will have lower crowds than when we went. Our arrival day of 12/11 had relatively low crowds which steadily built as the week went on.

Hi ! I've been at WDW the first or second week (usually the first) every year for 10 years!!

Weather can be ANYTHING from low 90's to highs in the mid 50's.

Crowds have been thicker each passing year. This year headliners had waits of 55-70 min at 11:00 am.

Still, it is a GREAT time to go with all of the Christmas decorations an events!

For the poster who asked about the second week, my experience has been that starting about the 12th, crowds increase each day.

I like the first week of December. The weather is great... not sure if it is warm enough for the water parks. We started the day with a hoodie and then it would get warm in the afternoon. Crowds are not bad either. Enjoy!:hippie:

This past year (2014) was a lot more crowded, but if you use the fp+ for the hard to get rides, you could get those done. Actually MK was crowded; the other parks, not so much. We also made the mistake of going to HS on an EMH night, so if you read the crowd calendars, you can avoid some of it, but it was busier than the calendars predicted.

I think if you follow the advice of go early, leave mid day, come back later you'll have a great time.

This year, from my experience and reading other trip reports, it seemed bo be a bit of rain. I'd say overall, it was more crowded than I expected. We still had a great time with the girls. I'm not crazy about the new fp system but I'll leave it at that; that's just me and my touring style. If you enjoy it and know how to work it, even better!!

DITTO!!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We've been the first week of December for several years now, and this year our experience was much like what Mambo Junkie described.

There used to be a huge difference in crowds between Thanksgiving week (last week of November) and the week after (the first week of December) but last year and especially this year the difference wasn't as much.

But it's still our favorite time of the year to go.

I'm looking at going this week also. Anyone waited to see candlelight processional (without the package) how long did you wait?

I'm looking at going this week also. Anyone waited to see candlelight processional (without the package) how long did you wait?

I did but I walked up 5 minutes before the first CP began and stood at the landscaping curbing in the back. Had a great view but stood for the complete show.

This past December, wristbands were given to those choosing to Standby for CP. They didn't have to wait in line forever and returned at a designated time.

I did but I walked up 5 minutes before the first CP began and stood at the landscaping curbing in the back. Had a great view but stood for the complete show.

This past December, wristbands were given to those choosing to Standby for CP. They didn't have to wait in line forever and returned at a designated time.

Wristbands sound like a great thing to me. Much better than standing in line for hours. Thanks!:thumbsup2

We arrived in 2014 on 12/11, which is the second week of December. We had cold weather during our stay. Highs in the 50s and low 60s, low about 40. Waterparks were closed. However, the week before it was in the low 80s. You just won't know until the forecast comes out for your trip.

I think the first week in December will have lower crowds than when we went. Our arrival day of 12/11 had relatively low crowds which steadily built as the week went on.

This was our experience as well. We arrived 12/9 and left 12/17. The crowds were way higher than September (we are typically September people) but the crowds were not awful. We felt we were able to do pretty much everything we wanted to but not quite as much as in September.

The decor at that time of the year was beautiful!! We loved it, and really enjoyed the MVMCP.

Weather was definitely cold. We needed jackets, hats, gloves, scarves, etc. We are from CO so we know cold weather also. And it was definitely on the chilly side!

I think if you are looking for a change of pace from September and don't mind slightly higher crowds and cooler temps, early-mid December can be a lovely time to go.

We were there the first week of December 2014. I usually carried a light sweater with me but most days did not need it until after dark. The temps during the day was in the 70's most of the time. The crowds were moderate in my opinion. Depending on where you were in the parks depended on the crowd level. I would definitely go again at that time.

I can't tell you anything about the water parks since we did not go there but one day we had a non park day and was visiting different resorts. The bus we were on stopped at Blizzard Beach and picked up a couple in their late 50's/early 60's. They said that BB was great, hardly anyone was there. It might be worth looking into, maybe the water is heated?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter