Pros / Cons -- Between Christmas and New Year?

Quam

Earning My Ears
Okay..we have booked a family trip between Christmas and New Year (Dec 27-Jan 1). I am concerned about the crowds and if the magic will be lost. We are staying on property and are seasoned Disneylander :). I want to hear all the pros and cons of going during this time-- risks, benefits, etc ..

Traditionally the busiest week of the year at the parks and pre-reservation system would be common to have intermittent park closures due to capacity that week.

Not too may pros IMO.

We did that last year. Our oldest was a senior in high school, and we're not local, so you do what you have to do sometimes, with the rare schedule openings that you get! No regrets. Not counting ticketing/security, Downtown Disney was the worst for crowds, IMO, followed by Tomorrowland. I felt like you could get away from people pretty much everywhere else, if you wanted to.

We used mobile order, which a LOT of the day trippers apparently aren't aware of, b/c we had near-instant returns almost every time and would walk past huge lines of people waiting to order in person. We had a few ADRs as well, largely b/c I wasn't really sure if we'd need them that time of year due to excessive quick service waits (esp with allergies).

We had genie+, which helped a lot. I have teens only, and they were morally opposed to rope drop. We got pretty close on our first day, but the crowds were horrific. We did the shocking thing and decided to arrive more like 9:30-10am from then on, and it was much more pleasant. YMMV, but with ride breakdowns happening all day long and so many people there anyway, it only meant we lost a couple Genie+ slots. Sure, some things will be booking very late at that point, but honestly - it didn't end up mattering, due to the ride breakdown multi-passes. Also, with all adults/teens, we had more night-time staying power, of course.

I guess the biggest risks are really tied to expectations. Ex: if you have a big Space fan, they aren't going to get on that a few times a day. (Heck, we had a hard time with once, b/c it kept breaking down.) If everyone understands in advance that lines are going to be long and you have to be flexible, you'll be ok. Make a list of priorities and work around that.

In terms of benefits: 1) it was great to see the Christmas decorations and HM overlay for the first time. We could never take teens in early Dec or some 'slow' time with the decorations up. 2) It rained some (which worked to clear the parks out one evening), but the temp was very pleasant the whole time. 3) It felt like it was staffed up to meet the expected crowds. (This sounds odd, but we went to WDW in a weird off-season time in Feb a while back, and lines were sooo sloooow b/c they were lightly staffed. It was somehow more painful, to have so few fellow guests around but endure so much waiting.)

It's really one of the craziest weeks of the year. I would go the week leading up to Christmas or after 1/1 if I was going at that time of year.

we will be there too! managing expectations will be key and I plan to book one table service a day.

We've had to adjust our trip to the 23-27 and I plan on going in with a different mindset. We're focusing on enjoying the food, the ambience, the decorations, and with Genie+ can (hopefully!) get on everything once. I think you can have a good time.

Make your ADR's as soon as possible

Don't leave Disneyland Park on NYE in the afternoon *if* you want to be in the park for fireworks. Because the one year we were there the park reached capacity & no one ended up getting in for the rest of the day from what I recall.

Rope drop with EE will be your friend!

Make your ADR's as soon as possible

Don't leave Disneyland Park on NYE in the afternoon *if* you want to be in the park for fireworks. Because the one year we were there the park reached capacity & no one ended up getting in for the rest of the day from what I recall.

Rope drop with EE will be your friend!
Is NYE the only day you'd worry about closures between Xmas & New Year's?

Is NYE the only day you'd worry about closures between Xmas & New Year's?
Yes, with the reservation system the only day I would worry about not getting back into the parks is the afternoon of 12/31 and Disneyland specifically. It will be busy the rest of the time but people will come and go between the parks and their hotels etc. The afternoon of 12/31 people will get in Disneyland and stay/camp out on Main Street for the fireworks so there will be very little outflow.

Didn't this kind of thing stop with the advent of park reservations?

If I'm not mistaken, the only thing that they've done in the last few years was one NYE where they stopped people with DCA reservations from park-hopping into DL. But a DL reservation should guarantee you access throughout the day into that park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter