Pros and Cons of picture packages on cruise

Personally I believe that if you take a lot of photos, have a family or you don't cruise that often with Disney it might be worth it purchasing the picture package. For me as a single cruiser I usually compare the photos castmembers have taken with my phone/camera to the professional ones. If they are close I don't purchase them but typically I might purchase three or four individual pictures.

Sounds like the kind of approach I'm expecting for myself -- how much do the individual photos cost you? I couldn't find it on the DCL site; all I found was info on the packages for purchasing all photos taken of you or the photo book, all of which seems excessive when I'm going by myself. Might want a handful of photos, though, since the character meets are part of why I'm going and it can be hit or miss getting good photos on my iPhone.

Couldn't find any info on a 10-picture prepurchasable package, either, unfortunately, as I might actually consider a package that size if the price was right.

Sounds like the kind of approach I'm expecting for myself -- how much do the individual photos cost you? I couldn't find it on the DCL site; all I found was info on the packages for purchasing all photos taken of you or the photo book, all of which seems excessive when I'm going by myself. Might want a handful of photos, though, since the character meets are part of why I'm going and it can be hit or miss getting good photos on my iPhone.

Couldn't find any info on a 10-picture prepurchasable package, either, unfortunately, as I might actually consider a package that size if the price was right.
8X10 photos cost $19.95 (those are the ones from formal night, and roving photographers in the dining rooms)
6X8 photos cost $14.95 (character photos).

My husband and I love the all pictures deal. I carry my camera to take pictures of the ship and stuff around me but enjoy that while doing to character pictures I don't have to worry about having my camera set up right for the attendants to use. The Shutters photographers are really good and do a nice job.

We did character meet and greets every day and did the Studio shots set up all around the atrium most nights. On our last 7day cruise we ended up with 669 pictures. Since they stopped doing the prints of all shots they have increased the number of non staged shots taken. I liked getting all the prints even though we don't do much with them but keep them in a notebook but enjoyed looking at them and was not happy when they stopped. However, the upside is the casual shots that they now take as you are walking up to or walking away from the characters that you did not get before.

We did a 1 - 2 - 1 pattern when doing all shots so that we get what we want without taking up excess time for the characters and the photographers and the folks waiting in line behind us. When it is our turn I go in and meet the character and get some shots then my husband joins us and we get shots as a pair and then I step out so they can get a couple shots of just him. It works great and we get lots of good interactions and pictures.

We were planning on buying the photo package of 20 photos, but when were on the ship we could not pick just 20 so we bought the unlimited package while on the ship. I regret not pre-purchasing the package to save some money, and taking a few more pictures while on board.

With the unlimited package you are buying the rights to print your photos when you get back home, so you can print as many pictures as you want.

You are able to do that with the purchase of 10 or 20 photos as well.

Depends on how much time you want to spend in line to have your pictures taken. Or if you will be doing a lot of character meets. We just got off a 7 night cruise and only liked a few pics, so just bought them individually and I’m totally fine with that decision. We didn’t have that many pics on our account (maybe 60? And that is with 6 people in a nuclear family across 2 staterooms). Most of them were too cheesy for me. We spend $$$ for quality family photos at least once a year so I just didn’t know what I would do with these lower quality pics. I’ll mostly just use them for the photo book I’ll make of our trip (that includes all of our pics in ports and before/after the cruise). They are happy to take pics with your camera too.

Hello all-
24 days and counting till our 1st Disney cruise. So, looking for advice on these picture packages. They are like crazy expensive! Blows me away. Need advice on whether it is worth it or not. I can order it before the cruise and save 10%, but then cancel it if I don't like the pictures? can anyone tell me how many you get (approximately). We are doing a 7 night cruise (merrytime).

Thank you
We've never purchased the package and never missed it. A CM will take pics during most shoots with your camera if you ask, and you can take pics of your child(ren) during shoots, too. I looked at the prospective photo package photos at the end of our cruise, and wasn't impressed with the photos. I wouldn't prepay for unseen photos just to save 10%, unless you're the type to always buy photo packages on trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter