Pros and cons of Holiday Inn Orlando Disney Springs Area

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
Hi, can some please explain the pros and cons of staying in the Holiday Inn Orlando Disney Springs area as I may have IHG points? Do we get less benefits as not a Disney hotel, is it longer and more difficult to get to the dis theme parks?

The pros: 30-minute early-entry to the parks in the AM, walking distance to Disney Springs and cost.

The cons: You have to pay for parking at the parks if driving. The bus service won't be as robust as Disney transportation. You won't get the Disney theming.

Disney deluxe resorts also offer an extra couple of hours at MK and Epcot a couple of nights a week.

Can you stay at the Holiday Inn and have a great trip? Yes

The pros: 30-minute early-entry to the parks in the AM, walking distance to Disney Springs and cost.

The cons: You have to pay for parking at the parks if driving. The bus service won't be as robust as Disney transportation. You won't get the Disney theming.

Disney deluxe resorts also offer an extra couple of hours at MK and Epcot a couple of nights a week.

Can you stay at the Holiday Inn and have a great trip? Yes
Is the transport to the parks as regular as staying at the Disney hotels? Do you get a bus for Disney springs from the park to hotel or is there a bus just for holiday inn hotel like bus stops for all disney hotels at the parks?

Is the transport to the parks as regular as staying at the Disney hotels? Do you get a bus for Disney springs from the park to hotel or is there a bus just for holiday inn hotel like bus stops for all disney hotels at the parks?
https://www.hiorlando.com/transportation

Disney Springs hotels transportation is a completely different system and since COVID it has changed from it's prior operation, which was one system for all the hotels. You need to check with each hotel as to what is provided.

NO buses to/from Disney Springs and Theme Parks.

Bus Stops are usually a bit farther in the bus depots AND I believe for Magic Kingdom you drop at TTC then take the ferry or monorail.

https://www.hiorlando.com/transportation

Disney Springs hotels transportation is a completely different system and since COVID it has changed from it's prior operation, which was one system for all the hotels. You need to check with each hotel as to what is provided.

NO buses to/from Disney Springs and Theme Parks.

Bus Stops are usually a bit farther in the bus depots AND I believe for Magic Kingdom you drop at TTC then take the ferry or monorail.
The transport options for this hotel to and from the parks just don’t sound worth it in booking this hotel even if I do have points with IHG. A Disney hotel maybe a better option

The transport options for this hotel to and from the parks just don’t sound worth it in booking this hotel even if I do have points with IHG. A Disney hotel maybe a better option
I agree with you. I've stayed at Disney Springs many times in most the hotels but never used their transportation. We drove to the parks. Since I drive, their current price point is not worth it so we mostly we stay off property. I think it boils down to budget.

Not a popular opinion here, but FWIW... we are DVC, so most of our stays when visiting parks are indeed on site.
However, when not staying DVC, I just seek out the best deal where we want to be. Paying $25 to park is not the end of the world, and you may experience faster times from door to gate, honestly. Is $25 a day the difference in cost to upgrade to a WDW resort? What's the "reality" of transport at that resort?

That being said, if you aren't choosing that specific location for proximity to DS, you can get more value for your points at another IHG location, and many of them don't also charge resort type fees and parking.

I am very much a hotwire try it and find out type of person, lol, so I may be more adventurous in this arena.

We've stayed here a few times both cash and IHG points. Not too far to walk to D.S. The shuttle was convenient, but didn't run as often as Disney transport. Used Uber/Lyft more than anything else.

Why not? You need to leave more often than once an hour?! They are FREE with your stay, the drivers were fantastic and the double decker busses were always clean and fast to get there, the kids loved them.

So what if you have to walk a few extra hundred feet from the bus area, it wasn't bad for us at all pushing along a double stroller. Oh and the drivers were great loading and unloading that everytime. They were also flexible with the times of return, one time we didn't think we could make the 7 PM bus and chose the 8 PM instead...it's not a problem at all.

Why not? You need to leave more often than once an hour?! They are FREE with your stay, the drivers were fantastic and the double decker busses were always clean and fast to get there, the kids loved them.

So what if you have to walk a few extra hundred feet from the bus area, it wasn't bad for us at all pushing along a double stroller. Oh and the drivers were great loading and unloading that everytime. They were also flexible with the times of return, one time we didn't think we could make the 7 PM bus and chose the 8 PM instead...it's not a problem at all.
once a hour is not enough they should be more often like the Disney hotel buses. I’d rather leave my hotel for the parks whatever time I like and know a bus is only say 10/15 mins away not say 45/50 mins till the next bus

once a hour is not enough they should be more often like the Disney hotel buses. I’d rather leave my hotel for the parks whatever time I like and know a bus is only say 10/15 mins away not say 45/50 mins till the next bus

LOL, some of you are never happy no matter what options are given. I mean, that's what RIDESHARE is for then, if you can't *gasp* wait a few extra minutes at a bus stop and time your day accordingly. But sure, pay triple at an actual Disney owned hotel so you can have a bus every 10 minutes if that's what is most important to you!

LOL, some of you are never happy no matter what options are given. I mean, that's what RIDESHARE is for then, if you can't *gasp* wait a few extra minutes at a bus stop and time your day accordingly. But sure, pay triple at an actual Disney owned hotel so you can have a bus every 10 minutes if that's what is most important to you!
It’s called convenience and no on vacation I do not want to wait around an hour for a bus to the parks that’s valuable time in the parks I’m loosing. And yes if Disney hotels have better benefits I would rather spend more. Do you work or get paid by holiday inn as it’s like your really trying to sell it?

It’s called convenience and no on vacation I do not want to wait around an hour for a bus to the parks that’s valuable time in the parks I’m loosing. And yes if Disney hotels have better benefits I would rather spend more. Do you work or get paid by holiday inn as it’s like your really trying to sell it?
Which is better? Knowing the schedule and getting to the stop 5 or 10 minutes early? OR have no schedule and wait 30-40 minutes at a theme park waiting for a bus?

Ride share, taxi or rental car is the answer if you want convenience. Better yet stay at one of the EPCOT resort (including Swan Dolphin reserve) and walk to 2 parks.

If you are looking for the 30 minute early entry perk and don't want to pay the high Disney prices (even onsite values resorts are really pricey), the Disney Springs Holiday Inn IMHO a great choice (especially if you have points to use). The hotel to me too looks much nicer than the Disney values and would be my preference to one of those unless you have little ones who would get a kick out of Disney theming. (E.g. when my son was little and a huge Herbie the Love Bug fan, staying in the All Stars Movie Herbie the Love Bug building was so worth it lol. Now -- no not worth it.) Except for Disney onsite, this is going to be the option with the most frequent shuttle options. A shuttle every hour is pretty darn good. The shuttle option is especially nice if you have teens who would like a little independence and have people splitting up. And for those over 18 who don't want to wait, you can always use uber / lyft. Even doing this a little you are probably saving money vs. onsite and then for you with using your points that's even sweeter. In your shoes if you will use the 30 minute early entry perk (which I would do), I personally think this would be a wonderful option. I also like the look on the onsite dining availability at the Holiday Inn vs. the Disney food courts at the values which I really don't care for. Sometimes after a busy theme park day, it's just really nice to have to option to get food right at your hotel.

I you aren't going to take advantage of the 30 minute early entry, I wouldn't recommend Disney Springs. I'd go for a different offsite option that is not in Disney Springs and use the savings (as you won't have the shuttle to do uber and lyft to the parks or rental car and parking at the parks).

I'm an offsite girl, but gosh my last visit (first time I couldn't do rope drop just by avoiding parks with extra magic morning hours), I hated being behind the onsite and Disney Springs people. The early entry is a nice perk that puts you ahead of some of the crowd.

Yes the resort fees and parking charges are high, but even with these cost is less than onsite Disney value for a nicer place and even more so since you are using points. And if the bus schedule doesn't work or is not convenient enough uber / lyft or a rental car is an extra expense for added convenience, but still dollar wise you would be coming out ahead I would think.

Just spent 10 fabulous days at Holiday Inn....
***Pros***
-1) Close to Springs,and therefore access to entire Disney property with a short walk and some ingenuity when using the various transport options.
2) Tower rooms are nice and clean, great housekeeping service
3) Buses are superior (IMHO) to the Disney onsite buses. Why? B/c they're scheduled at EXACT times, so you know when you're going or leaving. Easier than standing and waiting for an unknown period of time with tired kids. Nice,plush seats, fun drivers, easy pickup and dropoff (with one exception,see cons list) The buses are just better, my whole group of 10 agreed.
-also) the buses were a bare 50 yeards past the Disney buses,ast Ak they were closer!
4)Nice easy access bar/qs place by pool.free drink coupons at checkin
5) free lemonade and cookies every day from 4-6 in lobby
6) Free coffee and tea in lobby every morning
7) microwave/fridge/coffeemaker in every room.
8)Pool area clean,kids had blast.
9) we used IHG points.
10) Every room has a balcony,which is awesome.
***CONS***
1)The walk to Springs is farther than Wyndham,Hiltons. It can feel pretty long in the hot afternoon.
2) Magic Kingdom dropoff is TTC,which is a pain. (can't stand the TTC)
3) Pool is fairly small overall, pool area also not super large,but adequate.
4) depending on your view, you may have a noisy highway as your view. We did, the kids thought it was fun watching the cars go by)
I'd recommend it to anyone,thought it was a great option- we had a family reunion , 3 groups, 3 different rooms,8 park days total. We all had a great time. Don't let the buses scare you, like I said, I prefer their setup. Very efficient.

I'll tell you the truth.... I've stayed at almost every Disney property over the years.... and a LOT of that time was spent waiting on buses. From my experience trying both, the HI bus system was more efficient,and MUCH less wait time than the Disney buses. (and more comfortable)

Thanks for everyone’s replies, do you have to pre-book with the HI when you want to use the buses too as that seems every off putting also (seems to suggest that on their website)? Why can’t you just get on one of the buses as and when like the Disney hotel buses? Seems daft to have to talk / rearrange with the hotel, should just be able to get on any bus whenever because I’m staying there like Disney hotels.

From HI website -
  • Reservations are required for your entire party and are limited to guests registered to our hotel
  • Reservations can be made at the front desk or using the QR code provided at check-in
  • Buses depart and return to all 4 Disney Theme Parks

Seems daft having to pre-book, at least when book Disney hotels you know as part of the stay buses will turn up anyway and not have the hassle of pre-booking your transport

Last edited:
… the offer Disney have on at the moment for uk residents for 2024 stays seems like a better deal than staying at HI at the moment :

Dinner and Merch credit yo to $2100

14 day ticket for price of 7

And £200 Disney gift card

There’s all my spending money at Disney taken care of

Thanks for everyone’s replies, do you have to pre-book with the HI when you want to use the buses too as that seems every off putting also (seems to suggest that on their website)? Why can’t you just get on one of the buses as and when like the Disney hotel buses? Seems daft to have to talk / rearrange with the hotel, should just be able to get on any bus whenever because I’m staying there like Disney hotels.

From HI website -
  • Reservations are required for your entire party and are limited to guests registered to our hotel
  • Reservations can be made at the front desk or using the QR code provided at check-in

Seems daft having to pre-book, at least when book Disney hotels you know as part of the stay buses will turn up anyway and not have the hassle of pre-booking your transport

With limited demand and supply, the reservation could be considered as being for your benefit. Otherwise, with the size of WDW, the wait time for "just missing" or encountering a "full bus" could be easily over an hour if the busses are running to multiple parks.

From HI website -

yes, and it's really easy. just scan the qr code the night before. you also choose a return time, but they don't hold you to that, you can return whenever you like. one day my sis tried to book the night before, it showed all buses full. She emailed the bus co, by 6 am the next morning they had opened up another bus to reserve. Again, this extra step seems to help the buses run so smoothly,I liked it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter