Proposing on a Budget

TheNotSoEvilQueen

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall....
My brother wants to propose to his girlfriend of 10 years at Magic Kingdom. He lives a very modest life and can't afford to book an engagement experience through Disney. So here I am asking other frugal disney experts for idea's and suggestions. How can he pop the question without breaking the bank???

Just buying a park ticket for the day and picking a spot that is special to them should be fine. Doesn't cost anything but the park ticket.

My friend proposed by taking his now wife to the wishing well which was a family tradition of hers. While she was saying her wish into the well like snow white he got down on one knee behind her.

I saw a guy propose at dinner at Be Our Guest. I'm sure he could drop to one need just about anywhere. Does anything at the Magic Kingdom have special significance to them?

Maybe at the Tomorrowland Dessert Party? While the fireworks are going off? (Obviously more $$ than just a park ticket).

During dessert at CRT? (assuming a reservation is even possible).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Magic Kingdom does not have any significance other than the bride to be loves Disney!! lol. All things Disney! I tried to get reservations at CRT (My treat) but no such luck with a reservation.

Another idea is to get a photographer to take their pic in front of the castle, and then he can propose then. He can get it recorded in that sense. I'm sure if he gave the photog a heads up they could make it happen.

ETA: Maybe he can buy the wedding Mickey/Minnie ears ahead of time and give them to her after they're engaged?

I've seen two proposals at WDW. One was in front of the castle. They got in position for a photopass picture and then he dropped to his knee and proposed. The other was in front of the little waterfall outside the Tangled bathrooms.

Cinderellas wishing well is a very romantic spot
9043d63da989fb9abe84e3d698e61f34.jpg

Also look at Magic Kingdom Mini portrait sessions
http://disneyfineartphotography.com/portraits/enhanced-mini-portraits.php
$195.00

Mini Magic Kingdom Portrait Session
You are here making memories together….seize the moment and let us capture the magic. This limited time mini Magic Kingdom Session is a quick way to capture casual photos with Cinderella castle as your backdrop. Taken with one of our photographers with stylistic posing and additional lighting your photos will be something to remember.

Limited Time Offer Jan 23rd through May 26th on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday’s between 9am – 4pm (Except Jan 27th)
15 minute casual photo session with professional photographer and assistant
Disney Creative Portrait Staging: Stylistic Posing & Studio Lighting
A designated location within Disney’s Magic Kingdom Theme Park with Cinderella Castle as your backdrop (See Map)
Archival and low resolution
Package includes
Digital images sent via a link to the guests email within 24hours
Must provide own admission into the theme Park
Maximum of up to 10 guests allowed for this session

Last edited:
As a newly engaged person, it doesn't have to be anything expensive as long as it is heartfelt. I would recommend a quiet place near the castle (maybe the wishing well?). He should plan for a special dinner reservation after to celebrate. Maybe be our guest if he can get it? For us, any table service would be a special occasion. Depending on the couple, it doesn't need to be expensive.

Get an early reservation to Crystal Palace on a day when the park does not have magic hours. You will get into the park before the crowds and can propose to her in front of the castle with the masses rushing by.

Get an early reservation to Crystal Palace on a day when the park does not have magic hours. You will get into the park before the crowds and can propose to her in front of the castle with the masses rushing by.

That isn't the case any more with the new opening show. Mainstreet is open to all startinf about an hour to an hour and a half before rope drop now.

My step daughter got engaged at CBR on the beach. Doesn't have to cost extra to ask someone to marry you. My H proposed in the living room.

As long as it's not in the middle of POTC or any of the roller coaster rides, I think he has a good shot of doing the job right. There are some quiet paths near the castle if he wants that setting or some bang-for-the-buck in front of crowds. Depends on what he's comfortable with. Maybe he can hang onto the ring and decide once they get there. And budget wise? Even splitting a turkey leg after a proposal is pretty wonderful. Or a corndog. :upsidedow

You could also propose to her at Magic Kingdom at the end of the night after most of the people have left.

My husband proposed to me on a hammock at my favorite resort...the Polynesian. It was just us, no hoopla...photographers, family, onlookers.

It was perfect. I don't need all the glitz and glam.

He carried the ring around with him that whole day (we flew in that day), and we went to downtown Disney that night (this was 1999). He wasn't sure where or when but knew it was going to be that trip and I think that day.

My brother wants to propose to his girlfriend of 10 years at Magic Kingdom. He lives a very modest life and can't afford to book an engagement experience through Disney. So here I am asking other frugal disney experts for idea's and suggestions. How can he pop the question without breaking the bank???
I haven't read the replies yet but wonder why he needs to plan anything more than just being in MK? I know proposals (and even promposals) are a big to-do now, but it's the future that counts imo. DH and I have been married almost 20 years and he proposed by asking if I wanted to go ring shopping over the weekend. May not have been hip, but it was all I needed to say yes. (Sorry if I am being a Debbie Downer)

I haven't read the replies yet but wonder why he needs to plan anything more than just being in MK? I know proposals (and even promposals) are a big to-do now, but it's the future that counts imo. DH and I have been married almost 20 years and he proposed by asking if I wanted to go ring shopping over the weekend. May not have been hip, but it was all I needed to say yes. (Sorry if I am being a Debbie Downer)
I wish I could like this post several times!
Plus, you can be elaborate and thoughtful and memorable and romantic without ever spending a single penny. I understand the desire to make it special but I don't think that requires that any money be spent on the proposal at all.

I wouldn't be too eager to buy into Disney's plan to take every special moment and somehow stick a price tag on it and call it an "experience". The simplicity of love shines in this scenario.. nothing else will enhance it IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter