• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Propert division question

2forMe

DIS Veteran
I am looking for thoughts on division of property based on the following scenario.

* Property purchased 7 yrs ago for $427k with a $96k downpayment made by person A.
* Mortgage was obtained at $331k, 3.49% bi weekly payments. So currently 7yrs later mortgage is approximately $265k.
* After realtor fees etc the house would be worth approx. $510k

Assuming equal contributions to mortgage payments( by person A and person B)...and $96k down payment by Person A...how should the approx. $245k equity be divided?

Not marital or any type of property so that is not needed to take into account.

I would think the easiest would be to give the down payment back to person A and then split the rest up equally.

I would think the easiest would be to give the down payment back to person A and then split the rest up equally.
That is what I thought...but does the downpayment increase the percentage of equity? Because the $96k downpayment could have been invested elsewhere and gained interest...so worth more than $96k....

When A put down the downpayment, A "bought" 22.5% of the property ($96k/$427k). Today, 22.5% of the property is worth $114,750 ($510k*0.225). A should get $114,750 + half the remainder once the mortgage is fully paid off.

If the value of the property had decreased in the 7 year span, A should still get 22.5% of today's value, not the full $96k back. i.e. if the property is now worth half, A should only get $48k back from his $96k investment.

When A put down the downpayment, A "bought" 22.5% of the property ($96k/$427k). Today, 22.5% of the property is worth $114,750 ($510k*0.225). A should get $114,750 + half the remainder once the mortgage is fully paid off.

If the value of the property had decreased in the 7 year span, A should still get 22.5% of today's value, not the full $96k back. i.e. if the property is now worth half, A should only get $48k back from his $96k investment.

Agree with the above. “A” invested in the house. I was involved in something similar decades ago and this was the type of thinking we used then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter