• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Propane and Motor Homes at the Fort

MommaluvsDis

DIS Veteran
Quick history. DH and I camped with a small group at the fort for three weeks. Our party consisted of two motor homes and a 5th wheel. During our stay the other motor home ran out of propane. They had to unhook and drive to the nearest facility. Now, I realize that if you have a tank you can detach you can go to Meadows and have it filled but the mh doesn't have a detachable tank.

It would be nice if there was a refill service that could come to us saving the unhook/hookup process. Here at home, the local service comes to your home and fills your mh up. They add a service fee but then you're ready to camp. Why doesn't Disney offer a service like this?

Quick history. DH and I camped with a small group at the fort for three weeks. Our party consisted of two motor homes and a 5th wheel. During our stay the other motor home ran out of propane. They had to unhook and drive to the nearest facility. Now, I realize that if you have a tank you can detach you can go to Meadows and have it filled but the mh doesn't have a detachable tank.

It would be nice if there was a refill service that could come to us saving the unhook/hookup process. Here at home, the local service comes to your home and fills your mh up. They add a service fee but then you're ready to camp. Why doesn't Disney offer a service like this?

Not an enjoyable thing to happen while you are camping, to be sure! We have never run out of propane, but having two tanks, it automatically switches over and give us enough time. There are mobile RV companies that you can call that will come out and 'service' your RV, so would think they would also be able to either take propane to you, or pick up your tank to refill. IMO would not think Disney would have enough demand for that type service to offer it - the Meadow's refill service would suffice most people.

. . . at home, the local service comes to your home and fills your mh up . . . Why doesn't Disney offer a service like this?

1) There are LOTS of mobile propane service companies in/near Orlando.
. . . do a Google
. . . look up in Yellow Pages
2) Many will service MH's at The Fort.
3) As far as on-site, why add the cost of a tanker?
. . . purchase or lease cost
. . . repairs
. . . upkeep
. . . maintenance & PM
. . . insurance
. . . fuel
. . . drivers
4) Filling at your camper is fraught with potential liability
. . . there could be a catastrophic accident against property and/or persons
. . . people can "claim" WDW did damage to the propane receptacle
. . . people can "claim" WDW did damage to the MH or other camping equip
4) Whereas, a simple tank exchange/refill is easy, neat, clean, and safe.

A friend on mine uses one of these kits on his motorhome, cost is under $100. Once installed it allows you to use smaller 20 gallon propane tanks when the main motorhome tank runs dry, works great in pinch when you don't have the time to go for a refill on the main tank. Google "Extend-A-Flow Kit" and your will find it at many locations like Camping World.

The Extend-A-Flow Kit consists of a brass adapter tee and hose which may be quickly and safely connected between the L.P. tank and regulator of a recreational vehicle to fuel appliances. The 12´ Extend-A-Flow Hose, fitted with swivel end fittings that are compatible with all high pressure appliances. Both the tee and hose are equipped with valve and "O" ring seal so that no gas flows until all connections have been completed. For use with motorhomes

Most of the internal tanks are about 100gal. That usually lasts quite a long time even under moderate/heavy use. If you top off before arriving I think you would be hard pressed to drain a 100gal tank unless you are staying for months.

I guess my point is that I have to wonder how much gas your friend who ran out started with. And, to agree that it wouldn't be worth it for the Fort to have a mobile service available since barely anyone would use it for mounted tanks.

That auxiliary tank adapter is a cool idea though just in case! :thumbsup2

The nice thing about an extend-a-stay is that you can hook up your grill or whatever to it and not have to carry around the little green tanks or a spare bulk tank for grilling. We had one added when we bought our class C for just that purpose...but it is nice to know it is there for it's true purpose if we ever find ourselves parked somewhere for an extended length of time.

My 35' Motorhome has a 31 GALLON permanent mount LP tank - that equates to about (31 gal x 4.2 lbs) 130 Pounds of LP or equal to 6.5 typical removable 20 lb tanks (4.717 gallons) found on many 5th Wheels and TT.

I understand the liability concerns that Rusty mentioned with having LP tanks being filled at sites. While many campgrounds sell LP, they have a separate area to fill LP tanks - whether in a TT, 5th, or MH. So even in a CG that sells LP, the OP's friend who ran out at their site still would have had to break camp and drive to the LP filling area. I'm not so sure personally I would want a big LP delivery truck parked in the loop filling my neighbor's MH LP tank.

I treat checking the LP level as just part of my normal trip prep like checking tire air pressure, engine oil, fresh water, etc. LP level is very important if I am traveling during a time of year when I 'think' I may need to run the gas furnace for heat.

-Russ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter