Prom Dress photos?

ncarrier

Hooked on pixie dust
i have searched everywhere and emailed Disneyland directly but I can't seem to find any official answer. My daughter is graduating high school in the spring and would love to have her grad photos taken around Disneyland. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm mostly concerned about whether her dress would be allowed. It will be a long dress but not touching the ground ( I've already been googling ways to shorten dresses temporarily just in case lol). We are not planning on her riding any rides, more like heading to the parks first thing in the morning and snapping some quick photos around the parks before leaving so she could change into regular clothes. We will also be going during Easter so Dapper Days is not an option either.

I've already been thinking of a plan b where she can maybe wear the dress under the sorcerer hat at the DLH, GC lobby etc but ideally we would be in Disneyland for the photos. Anyone advice is greatly appreciated!

You can wear a long dress if you want, but you can't have a professional photographer take pictures without a permit. You can take your own photos, though. Depending how "professional" your equipment is and how much attention you're drawing to yourself, you may get questioned.

My friend did some engagement photos there a few years ago, but she had a friend take the pictures. If I recall correctly, security did come and talk to them, but let them continue. I remember her talking about it but don't recall all the details.

Professional photographers are definitely not allowed without a permit. (See below.) This spring, I personally saw a couple dressed in prom gear with a photographer get stopped by security. They had been taking photos in DL and I was surprised it was allowed. They were stopped by security at the entrance to DCA and were turned away. I think they got lucky to not get stopped at DL.

That being said - I have done shoots with my daughter at DLR with no issues. But she wasn't dressed in a prom dress. I think you need to be prepared to prove that you are her mom taking photos and not a professional.

There are photographers that provide that service if you want professional photos. But I would imagine that they are expensive and I suspect that Disney charges them for the permit.

From the Disney website:
Equipment used for unauthorized photography, videotaping, recording, broadcast or transmission of any kind for commercial purposes is not allowed. Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting the Disneyland Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Disneyland Resort properties, or icons for professional purposes must request permission and make prior arrangements with appropriate Disneyland Resort representatives. Permission for any recordings or broadcasts on the premises are within the sole discretion of Disney.

Our photography equipment includes one older dslr camera, an iPhone and two enthusiastic but inexperienced parents lol. We will definitely need to do our homework for better usage of our camera!

To be honest we have always left most of the family photos to photopass photographers as their quality is usually much better than what we do. I know there will be people in the photos and by no means are we looking at setting up any equipment or blocking any areas. Just looking for my girl in her dress and the smile of joy on her face from having Disneyland in the background. I just am worried that the dress won't be allowed. It's not that often my daughter even wears a dress, let alone one that has pastel blues and pinks lol!

Thank you so much for the responses! I've been feeling like I'm setting ourselves up for disappointment with this as I have not been able to find hardly any information about fancier dresses in the parks. I'm up for many planning challenges but this one is beyond me!

No need to worry about the dress, there is nothing in the rules about how fancy you can dress in the park and the Dapper Day crowds have no issues. As long as you aren't impersonating a character, you're good to go.

There is a special photo package that you can buy that gets you a private photo session with characters in ToonTown first thing in the morning. I don't know if this package is still available, but you can ask Disney about it.

You guys are amazing as always with your advice and insight. I feel like cast members should be required to do some homework on the disboards prior to starting in the park with the wealth of knowledge here!

I was actually feeling pretty discouraged about the whole thing so I am really relieved to hear feedback like this. In all our trips to a Disney, I never really noticed anyone wearing a fancy dress other than at Dapper Days so I wasn't sure if it was allowed. I did notice a lady wearing very high heels just because I was flabbergasted that she could walk in them let alone spend a day at DL in them!

One more question- would we be better off having our daughter wear the dress into the park, or bring it in a bag and change once there? With all the family going on this trip it will be our first time since 2008 staying offsite, and we've never stayed outside of walking distance before so this will be the first time we have to either use the ART or drive to the parks. Just wondering if I should try to limit the amount of time Murphy's law has to play with the dress as she'll still need it for prom night lol. Thanks so much again!

This sounds like such a special gift for your daughter! I'm tagging @mom2rtk for you. She has taken many photos of her daughter in full-length princess dresses in the park. I'm sure she'll have some good advice for you.

You guys are amazing as always with your advice and insight. I feel like cast members should be required to do some homework on the disboards prior to starting in the park with the wealth of knowledge here!

I was actually feeling pretty discouraged about the whole thing so I am really relieved to hear feedback like this. In all our trips to a Disney, I never really noticed anyone wearing a fancy dress other than at Dapper Days so I wasn't sure if it was allowed. I did notice a lady wearing very high heels just because I was flabbergasted that she could walk in them let alone spend a day at DL in them!

One more question- would we be better off having our daughter wear the dress into the park, or bring it in a bag and change once there? With all the family going on this trip it will be our first time since 2008 staying offsite, and we've never stayed outside of walking distance before so this will be the first time we have to either use the ART or drive to the parks. Just wondering if I should try to limit the amount of time Murphy's law has to play with the dress as she'll still need it for prom night lol. Thanks so much again!
Is it easy to walk in? Is it comfortable. That's all I'd base my decision on.

You can definitely wear a fancy dress.

I sometimes go to Disney for the evening in a fleece dragon "onesie" because why not? As long as you're not impersonating a character or violating the dress code, you're fine.

I also agree with PP who mentioned working with Photopass. Let them take good pictures for you!

i have searched everywhere and emailed Disneyland directly but I can't seem to find any official answer. My daughter is graduating high school in the spring and would love to have her grad photos taken around Disneyland. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm mostly concerned about whether her dress would be allowed. It will be a long dress but not touching the ground ( I've already been googling ways to shorten dresses temporarily just in case lol). We are not planning on her riding any rides, more like heading to the parks first thing in the morning and snapping some quick photos around the parks before leaving so she could change into regular clothes. We will also be going during Easter so Dapper Days is not an option either.

I've already been thinking of a plan b where she can maybe wear the dress under the sorcerer hat at the DLH, GC lobby etc but ideally we would be in Disneyland for the photos. Anyone advice is greatly appreciated!

I honestly don't think you'll have any trouble. Just be prepared that if you look professional, someone *might* question you, but honestly, you're not breaking any rules. You're not a professional, it's not a paid shoot. You'll be fine.

I'd let Photopass take some shots, but honestly there just aren't enough of them around the parks for that to be enough (if it was me). And the quality is too hit or miss.

You might want to have shorts and a tee in a bag just in case they ask her to change, but I think the likelihood is really low.

Go. Have fun. Make some memories. And please share some shots here when you're done!

This sounds like such a special gift for your daughter! I'm tagging @mom2rtk for you. She has taken many photos of her daughter in full-length princess dresses in the park. I'm sure she'll have some good advice for you.
:wave: When I did my last princess gown shots of my daughter, she was over the allowable age (I think the rule was "under 10" at the time). And all I ever got was fun interaction from CMs asking about the gown.

Thanks so much again for the info, and if all goes well I will definitely post some photos!

Right on, mama! My mom took my senior pictures on some of our family's property with just a little point-and-shoot and they turned out fantastic! No need to spend $500-$600+ on portraits that turn out the same. My friends spent that much and I thought mine turned out way more natural and fun. If I was your daughter, I would be wanting Disneyland as my location as well! Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly!

Better late than never, sorry it took so long to post! We had amazing luck getting DD’s grad photos taken. We had a photopass photographer actually take pictures with us right from the beginning of Main Street all the way down to the hub. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I feel so blessed that I and my family got to experience. Thanks to all for your help! 63DE7AA8-1818-4893-9F4A-D38BCCA51609.jpeg7B94DDA2-1571-4AFB-9184-BD7C39FD33E1.jpeg1A57FE89-6B81-4BF0-A7BE-AB23205D0A30.jpeg1A098244-893A-423B-B691-C05223152297.jpeg6A31DA58-4D2F-4E7B-838B-6A4559FD601B.jpeg

Better late than never, sorry it took so long to post! We had amazing luck getting DD’s grad photos taken. We had a photopass photographer actually take pictures with us right from the beginning of Main Street all the way down to the hub. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I feel so blessed that I and my family got to experience. Thanks to all for your help! View attachment 343240View attachment 343241View attachment 343242View attachment 343243View attachment 343244
Those are awesome! What great memories. Thanks so much for sharing them!

As long as you aren't bringing professional photography equipment you will be fine. In fact, I would ask for help from photopass any place they are.
I rock pro-gear, and I would be seriously upset if Disney tried to prohibit me from taking pics of my family.

Better late than never, sorry it took so long to post! We had amazing luck getting DD’s grad photos taken. We had a photopass photographer actually take pictures with us right from the beginning of Main Street all the way down to the hub. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I feel so blessed that I and my family got to experience. Thanks to all for your help! View attachment 343240View attachment 343241View attachment 343242View attachment 343243View attachment 343244

Those turned out beautiful! Thanks for giving an update!

As a follow up for anyone out there like me who searched all over for info lol- we went first thing and used our magic morning in Disneyland for photos. It paid off by having relatively no crowds for a lot of the photos and every single photopass photographer spent a lot of time with us. Nessa was the photographer who we came across as soon as we entered Main Street and took us down Main Street, off to the side in the flower market area, all over really! And once we reached the hub she made sure that the other photopass photographer could take over from there. We even had cast members calling us over to point out great photo spots and poses. It was an amazing morning, made even more so when a little girl around 5 or 6 years old asked her dad if she could have her picture taken with my DD. Big smiles all around in that picture :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter