Projected attraction closures for February 2017

choirboy501

Yankee Racers - Founder
Where's the best place to look to find what attractions might be closed for refurb/construction? I'm planning a visit to DLR in late February, and am curious about what might be closed in addition to what is already down as they work on Star Wars Land.

Additionally:
- Is it too early to expect DLRR to be operating again?
- Will MSEP be running in DL by then? And will there be any nighttime show dining packages (obviously not for Fantasmic or PTN) in DL? I usually do a BB show package each time I'm there.
- Will HSM still be running, or is that overlay going away?

They typically begin to announce refurbishments about 3 weeks before, but they are subject to change up until the day they're scheduled to close or reopen. IASW is always closed in early February for holiday overlay removal, so you can count on that one. They haven't announced any date for MSEP or any information on dining packages. They only started offering those in DL at at BB less than 2 years ago. They probably wouldn't want to lose the revenue, but we'll have to see if they do it at BB specifically.

Last edited:
As for the railroad, and the related Rivers of America closures, they are trying to get it done for a July reopening of Fantasmic!, but they have also stated :trying:, and not promising. So that makes the Rivers and DLRR opening in around June.

Wikipedia has an opening date of Jan 20, 2017 for MSEP, but I have no idea where they got that from!

That is a weird date, unless they are trying to tie in the NAMM Show (Music Industry) into the event, and offer a private showing.

It also happens to be the day that the new President of the US will be sworn into office, so as a "Media" event, not the best date to be looking for coverage.

Really looking for info on POTC. I'm quite nervous as I expect it to go down at some point prior to the 50th Anniversary in mid-March.

Really looking for info on POTC. I'm quite nervous as I expect it to go down at some point prior to the 50th Anniversary in mid-March.
Yep, I read that on another board that it would go down in the winter for refurbs before the big anniversary. It makes sense since it could definitely use some TLC.

I'm also curious about ride closures for February. I heard Splash Mountain is usually down for refurbishment during this time. Have others found that to be true?

OK, we have three rides that are water based, Pirates, small World and Splash Mountain. All three need time to dry out and have their boats/logs repaired.

The current schedule has the drying out of small world after the Christmas season to match the removal over the overlay.

The other two have been changed a bit,but they only do one of the three at a time. I was surprised that Disney didn't adress Splash Mountain last month when they closed the area for Star Wars Land improvements.

But it seems they don't want anything closed from mid March to late April due to Spring/Easter Break.

So right after "iasw"re-opens, Pirates might close down. Alas, Disney has been shortening the time they announce their refurb projects.

Shoot. Splash is kind of a dealbreaker for us. If it's closed I may need to reevaluate things.

OK, we have three rides that are water based, Pirates, small World and Splash Mountain. All three need time to dry out and have their boats/logs repaired.

The current schedule has the drying out of small world after the Christmas season to match the removal over the overlay.

The other two have been changed a bit,but they only do one of the three at a time. I was surprised that Disney didn't adress Splash Mountain last month when they closed the area for Star Wars Land improvements.

But it seems they don't want anything closed from mid March to late April due to Spring/Easter Break.

So right after "iasw"re-opens, Pirates might close down. Alas, Disney has been shortening the time they announce their refurb projects.
About how long is IASW usually down for?? We will be there Feb. 1-5th & don't want to miss out on Pirates or Splash.

Sounds like I can guarantee either Pirates or Splash being closed Feb. 18-25? I'm looking for the annual refurb schedule but I can't find it.

I sure hope they don't close pirates at that time. It was closed the last time I went. Ugh!! Was really hoping to ride it when I go in February.

Other than overlays there is no annual refurb schedule. They don't tend to take down the mountains between Memorial Day and Labor Day, unless it's a major, months long refurb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter