Professional Internship Spring 2012

Lani2125

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! :)

After lurking for a while, I finally decided to register and start a thread for PI 2012. I think it will be useful to talk to people that have done the program in the past, and connect with people that are thinking about it for the spring.

First off, a little about myself, my name is Lani. I'm graduating (hopefully) this Fall with a double major in Marketing and Management. After successfully completing a CP, I have decided that I would like to continue with Disney after I graduated.

Although I will have a major in management, I think that I would want to go after a marketing PI. My main concern is the compensation portion. I know that management is salaried, so they have pretty good compensation. What about the other PIs? Can someone give me an actual dollar amount range? All I keep reading is that "it depends".

Anybody else thinking of applying?

Hi Lani!

I applied for the PI for Fall 2011 and didn't get in. I would like to try again, but I will also be applying for CP. I graduated in May 2011 with a major in Accounting. Currently, I'm working full time, and taking two classes.

Hi! I'm Kayla and I'm applying for the Lodging Management PI. I'm curious about the compensation for the internships!

I'm also going back and forth between Disneyland and Walt Disney World. I finished the Spring CP this past spring and was offered to extend to Disneyland, but I turned it down for financial reasons.

Hopefully this thread gets hoppin' soon! Looking forward to talking with everyone!

Thanks for starting the thread Lani :)

hey kayla, im applying for spring cp, but after wards i was hoping to apply for the lodging managment PI also, what role did you have when you did your CP, was it helpful, any hints or suggestions on who i should be "friendly" with while im there?

hey kayla, im applying for spring cp, but after wards i was hoping to apply for the lodging managment PI also, what role did you have when you did your CP, was it helpful, any hints or suggestions on who i should be "friendly" with while im there?

I would say just try really hard to have a positive reputation in your workplace and amongst your leaders. Let your managers know you're interested in the PI and ask for their advice on getting in to management. They may know people in lodging management that you could possibly set up a meet and greet with. The majority of CM's and leaders have worked in several areas and locations at Disney so I'm sure you'll find someone with a contact somewhere.

I'm Marissa, applying for a PI for Spring 2012 :) I'm graduating in December, majoring in exceptional student education (special education.) I completed a CP in Spring 2009, and ended up moving down to Orlando and transferring to UCF after loving life down here. I'm applying for most of the education-related PI's, as well as services for guests with disabilities.

My name is DK and i'm also trying to apply for the PI in management. I need all the advice I can get!! I graduated in May with a degree in business management and will love to pursue my career in Disney. I'm currently a CP over at the Wilderness Lodge. :D

Hi Lani!

I'm actually a marketing major too, and plan on applying for a spring marketing professional internship. I am currently a part time Disney employee, and my boyfriend is a manager who did a professional internship first. The pay range for PIs is usually between 12-14 dollars and hour. Have you heard any other information? It seems like we are both in the same boat :)

Hi guys, and thanks for starting the thread! :thumbsup2 I'm Lyn (I HATE my first name, call me by my middle on here, please!) and this is my first time applying for a PI. I'm going to be a junior at BYU Idaho as of the end of this semester so I'm kind of freaking out a bit, really... I've done two CPs but I think it's time to move on from that! I'm really interested in management internships but I'll take anything... currently a communications major with a marketing emphasis, by the way, and also a campus rep. I'm bookmarking all the ones I want to try for and applying tonight/tomorrow- my dad is going to help me polish up my resume this evening and give me some interview pointers since he is in a professional field of work as well and REALLY is good with all of this.

Here is my question- is it acceptable to apply for both the CP and PI at the same time? If I don't get a PI, I'd like to just do the CP again, but I don't know if applying for both at once hurts my chances for either. I'm planning to move to Florida in January but in case it doesn't work out, I'd like a back-up plan, and the CP is the back-up plan. If it can be done, guess I'll fill out the CP app this week as well!

Hello people! I'm Rachael, and I was an attractions CP at DAK spring 2010 and now I'm a campus rep. I applied for about a billion PIs today - aquatic vet hospital, vet hospital, marine mammal, marine biologist, conservation education presenter, conservation education at the seas, and guest relations (just something I've always wanted to try!)

I'm really hoping that since they've changed this up with the application process and website this year that it means they'll be able to get back to us sooner - I'm so impatient! But I'd wait forever if it meant getting accepted :)

Here is my question- is it acceptable to apply for both the CP and PI at the same time? If I don't get a PI, I'd like to just do the CP again, but I don't know if applying for both at once hurts my chances for either. I'm planning to move to Florida in January but in case it doesn't work out, I'd like a back-up plan, and the CP is the back-up plan. If it can be done, guess I'll fill out the CP app this week as well!

It's perfectly acceptable. I didn't get offered a PI right after I graduated so I did a second CP for another shot at the PI's. The only thing that's tricky is that you have to accept your CP offer within 2 weeks and you typically won't get accepted for the PI's until a few months later. However, you should be able to accept the CP and then if you get offered a PI, to accept that instead.

Hi! I'm Kayla and I'm applying for the Lodging Management PI. I'm curious about the compensation for the internships!
Those of you asking about compensation... I know you don't like to hear... it depends.... but it really does.

I lived with six guys. One was making somewhere between 10-12 while doing a PI for DVC. The rest of us were all IT/Engineering/Architecture and we were between 16-20. I know some people were in Communications/Marketing/Animal, I don't remember exactly, but I believe they were in between the two groups (closer to 12-14).

What my boss told me at one point was that they basically took the standard going rate for that job FT and set your rate based on that. Also, some can depend on if you have graduated or not. Doing (arguably below) entry-level IT, my hourly rate converted into yearly salary would have been like 37k. (42k if I had graduated). So that was pretty much on par.

It is acceptable and they are used to people doing that. I applied for a CP last year and got an offer for lifeguarding. I couldn't wait for a PI decision to accept/decline the offer so I went ahead and accepted it. Then, a few months later I ended up getting the PI I wanted and my manager was able to call the CP program and take me off that program.

I applied for the Alumni only section yesterday and I already got selected to take part in a phone screening! the only problem so far is that the link they gave me didn't work. So I emailed them letting them know about the problem. I really want to do College Program Recruiting Coordinator, CP Housing Yield, or Guest Relations! I can't wait to see what happens! :D

how long after you apply and upload your resume, should i expect to hear anything back from them??

When i applied for the CP i heard back in like an hour, but its been a day or so and i have heard nothing back from the PI. is that normal?

how long after you apply and upload your resume, should i expect to hear anything back from them??

When i applied for the CP i heard back in like an hour, but its been a day or so and i have heard nothing back from the PI. is that normal?

yep, it takes longer for the PI. Did you have your interview? If not, you should be getting an e-mail to call and schedule an interview. After the interview, you probably won't hear anything for another month or so. If you are no longer being considered for an internship, you'll get an e-mail saying so. There's really no time frame for this because it's kind of continuous and depends on the position. I got my acceptance call for Spring 2011 internship around mid-November.

I think the alumni-only positions get emailed to schedule a screening interview immediately, but the other internships take longer. I have a screening interview for guest relations (I guess I tell them this in the interview) tomorrow, but I've only gotten a 'Thanks for applying' email from the Animal Programs internships. I don't expect to hear from them for probably another week or two.

Forgot, I had another question. I got an email today giving me the job descriptions of all the alumni-only positions. I'm thinking about doing Guest Relations, but in the description it says it's only open to public relations, communications, and marketing majors. How serious are they about sticking to this? I'm a pre-vet anthropology major with no intention of changing. Has anyone done Guest Relations without being one of those majors?

Forgot, I had another question. I got an email today giving me the job descriptions of all the alumni-only positions. I'm thinking about doing Guest Relations, but in the description it says it's only open to public relations, communications, and marketing majors. How serious are they about sticking to this? I'm a pre-vet anthropology major with no intention of changing. Has anyone done Guest Relations without being one of those majors?

I did the GR PI and I was a communications major. We also had interns that came from criminal justice/sociology, but the majority of our interns did major in PR/Comm/Marketing. If it's a position you're really interested, I would still apply. I think they prefer people in those majors but you still have a shot even if you majored in something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter