Problems with wheelchair accessible units?

Andrew Bichard

DIS Veteran
From a trip report on the DVC board

Jecca said:
We just got back from our 5-night stay in a studio at BCV. Just thought I'd post some of my observations:

We got in close to midnight on Christmas night, so my expectations on the room we'd get weren't especially high. We ended up with a wheelchair-accessible studio JUST off the elevator on the 5th floor (525). I loved being so close to the elevator. Last time we arrived that late, we ended up as far away from the elevator as possible, so this was a welcome change. But I'll never do a wheelchair-accessible unit again, and I use a wheelchair. For me, the "conveniences" aren't worth it.

I have not yet stayed at Beach Club Villas, though I have twice stayed at Boardwalk Villas which are a similar design. Each time, I have stayed in the one bed unit next to the lifts on the fifth floor. The convenience of being so near to the lifts was great, but it was noisy. The problem is that we were troubled by noise from the lifts themselves (which were right behind our heads as we slept). We were troubled not by noise from the lift motors, but from the solenoids (electric swithches) clicking every time the lift started or stopped. Is this a common problem?

Jecca said:
The absolute worst thing was the bed. It was lowered, obviously, and that did help me out. But I could literally feel the springs coming through the mattress. And forget about trying to sit on the edge of the bed - you'd end up on the floor. The thing offered absolutely NO support, and was horribly uncomfortable.

I too have problems with the softness of the bed. I always start to slide off the mattress, even with a bed-board between the base and mattress to stiffen it. I always have to park my wheelchair right up close to the bed so that I don't slide onto the floor when I get up in the night. BTW, I was unaware of the bed at BWV being any lower than normal It was about the same height as my wheelchair seat. A couple of hotels I have stayed at (not Disney) have had beds with adjustable height - much better.

Jecca said:
I was also disappointed in the balcony. We had a "closed" balcony, which I dislike because I feel like it makes the room sort of dark, but also it was tiny - especially for the fact that it was in a wheelchair-accessible unit. I could BARELY get out there, and my wheelchair is pretty small.

Though I have not had this problem at BWV, the wheelchair units at BWI which I have stayed in previously are too tiny to sit out on in my chair, when my wife is also sitting out in one of the chairs provided.

Other problems I have are:

Switches for the lights over the bed, which I cannot reach once I am laying down. They would be much easier to use if they had short pull cords down to pillow level.

Handing of the toilet. Maybe I have been unlucky, but every room I have stayed at, at Disney has had the toilet against the left hand wall, so that I have to remove the right hand armrest from my chair to make a sliding transfer. This is the armrest with my controller. By choice, I would prefer the toilet on the other side, so I didn't have to do this.

Height of toilet. One hotel that I have stayed in recently, had booster seats for the toilet in the closet. Much more convenient than having to request them from housekeeping (and withing for housekeeping to get one sent over from another hotel!) Another hotel even had a commode style wheelchair which fitted over the toilet and could also be used in the shower.

Any comments?

Andrew

I know you can request bed rails, would they help to prevent a slide onto the floor?

phillybeth said:
I know you can request bed rails, would they help to prevent a slide onto the floor?
They should, but I think they would also require someone to place them once the wheelchair user is in bed and then remove them later to get out.

Thanks for the report/analysis, Andrew.
The regular units have some that are "mirror images" of others (ie, the master bedroom is on the right on some units, and on the left of other units). I don't know if the wheelchair accessible ones are the same way, but it would make sense to have both - some people can only transfer one direction easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter