• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Problematic behavior in a lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with the others in needed to know what was problematic about the conversation? I mean if it's threats of violence or admitting to crimes, sure, I can see that. But otherwise, people are free to say what they want to say. Doesn't mean they are free from consequences of those words, but as another patron of the lounge, it is not your responsibility to police other's conversations.

I'm not following how the First Amendment applies to this conversation (unless this was a side comment).

Freedom of speech?

First it would be nice if the OP would come back and supply some additional information. We are all guessing about what really happened.

A lounge in a hotel is a public place where ALL patrons have rights and should be able to enjoy themselves. It is not just for the entitled few with big mouths who feel they can shout down the rest. I do agree that the OP should have called management in to handle the problem and not try to do it themselves. There are too many crazy people in the world today that think anything goes. They think it's their right and privilege to do what they want, when they want, and where they want.

There was one response in particular in this thread that really made me think WOW, I bet that person's mama would be really proud (not). Some comments in this thread demonstrate just how far the respect for others and the concept of being courteous and civil to each other has diminished. Don't you remember the golden rule to treat others as you want to be treated? Is this an old fashioned or out of date concept? If we all just showed a little more respect and curtesy towards others this world would be a much better place.

Some comments in this thread demonstrate just how far the respect for others and the concept of being courteous and civil to each other has diminished.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. It is discourteous and uncivil to police other people’s conversations and to then act like a Karen objecting to their manner of speech. Interrupting someone is extremely rude.

Freedom of speech?
If you're talking about Freedom of Speech in regards to the First Amendment, then it has no bearing here. That only protects individuals from being imprisoned/punished by the government for something they said (and it's important to note that not even that is absolute, as there are some exceptions). It has no relation to a private company (in this case, Disney) or the individuals taking advantage of the benefits of said company.

Yes we talk about the general right of people to say what they want, but that doesn't mean they are free from the consequences of their words. And it has nothing to do with the First Amendment.

Approaching anyone in public to scold them on whatever they are saying is certainly not going to go well. You are more likely to trigger some sort of confrontation. I would either move to a different table, let management know you find their conversation inappropriate or just leave.

Freedom of speech?

First it would be nice if the OP would come back and supply some additional information. We are all guessing about what really happened.

A lounge in a hotel is a public place where ALL patrons have rights and should be able to enjoy themselves. It is not just for the entitled few with big mouths who feel they can shout down the rest. I do agree that the OP should have called management in to handle the problem and not try to do it themselves. There are too many crazy people in the world today that think anything goes. They think it's their right and privilege to do what they want, when they want, and where they want.

There was one response in particular in this thread that really made me think WOW, I bet that person's mama would be really proud (not). Some comments in this thread demonstrate just how far the respect for others and the concept of being courteous and civil to each other has diminished. Don't you remember the golden rule to treat others as you want to be treated? Is this an old fashioned or out of date concept? If we all just showed a little more respect and curtesy towards others this world would be a much better place.
I'm honestly not sure who you're saying had their "Freedom of Speech" impeded. The guys absolutely had the right to say pretty much anything (even curse). The OP absolutely had the right to ask them to tone things down. The guys had the right to tell OP to "get lost".

Neither the talkers nor the OP has the right however to FORCE the other to do anything. Should people not curse? That's a personal decision. But, since this was a "lounge", I'm going to assume there were no children around. So there's really no leg to stand on to tell someone not to curse. Only a representative of the facility can really do that.

And yes, everyone has different beliefs on what's considered "acceptable".

We are missing a LOT of context though. OP might get more people on their "side" if they explained what was being said.

The OP mentioned the cursing taking place, and then after that the conversation became problematic. I am also curious about what turned the conversation from cursing to problematic.

I personally would not have confronted the people at all. I would have left the area if I felt uncomfortable. The only person I can control is me, so if I am in a situation that makes me feel threatened or concerned, I leave if I can. I would not even report it to management unless the conversation involved threats or criminal activity that required intervention. There is simply too much risk of retaliation these days.

The OP mentioned the cursing taking place, and then after that the conversation became problematic. I am also curious about what turned the conversation from cursing to problematic.

I personally would not have confronted the people at all. I would have left the area if I felt uncomfortable. The only person I can control is me, so if I am in a situation that makes me feel threatened or concerned, I leave if I can. I would not even report it to management unless the conversation involved threats or criminal activity that required intervention. There is simply too much risk of retaliation these days.

So true, same here. But the OP obviously felt that have absolute "rights" to stay there and not be bothered by profanity. I guess I just am not enough of a fighter. Bad behavior wins.

Karen much? It's a public lounge. They have as much right to be there, and to speak freely, as you do. You had every right to leave. You did not have every right to tell grown adults how to behave.

And yes, I was in a very similar situation a couple of weeks ago. Big hotel courtyard, one large fire pit, freezing cold night. A couple of guys had set up for the evening right by the fire with a huge stockpile of beer. They were VERY loud, cursing like sailors, and voicing controversial opinions about everything under the sun. At first, other people in the courtyard were a little taken aback and steered clear. Then one by one, we all decided that getting warm by the fire was more important. So we started moving closer, never once saying anything to the guys either way. And you know what? They were the nicest people ever, welcomed each of us like old friends....and just like that it turned into an impromptu courtyard party, with everyone having a great time.

Maybe it would have gone like that. Maybe it wouldn't have. Maybe the guys didn't care for any company at all, which would again be well within their rights. But you could have chosen to attempt friendly conversation. Or to move a few feet away. Or to go back to your room. But you chose a confrontation, and then were shocked when they weren't receptive to your scolding. Sorry, but that's on you.

But, one does have the right to ASK for a specific behavior.
I disagree. Maybe I'm jaded by all the nonsmokers who have sat down next to me over the years in the ONLY smoking area on an entire cruise ship, and asked me to put out my already lit cigarette...but I think that as long as it's within the law/rules, people can behave as they please and other people don't have any business ASKING them to behave differently.

But, one does have the right to ASK for a specific behavior.
Do they? Unless someone is screaming to the point of creating a disturbance, at which point others would also likely say something, why can't people just keep to themselves? Once I was in the queue for Hall of Presidents I think. I kissed my wife. Some a--hat asked me not to do that because "it's a family park." Huh? I told him the Disney version of "go f--- yourself" and that was that. Unless someone is directly affecting you (not just being annoying from another table), people should just live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter