• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Prix fixe at BOG

I have not read the entire thread yet, so I’m going to say this and apologize in advance if any PPs have said the same things.

It truly is difficult to get an ADR for BOG. Its popularity far exceeds its seating capacity.

It boils down to supply and demand of seats. CRT and LeCellier are 2 credits because they have no problem filling those restaurants. However, unlike those two eateries, BOG was built to handle a huge number of guests. And still, it cannot keep up; it is that popular.

On the cupcake thing - is that really still a thing? I know it is at breakfast for PPO but BOGs been open years now. Are people really still ordering cupcakes to see the castle at dinner? In the beginning I can see it, but hasn’t most everyone who would do that seen it by now? If it’s real, fair enough, but it just sounds more like urban legend to me...

It's really still a thing. People ask on these boards all the time about it.

I did see someone here say they were just going to get coffee at breakfast while asking about something else, and it went over so well that the poster ended up locking the thread because they were getting mauled.

I'll hold off making a judgment until the reviews start coming in, but the menu is a step in the right direction. If they can make the experience feel more upscale, $55 sounds pretty good.

P.S. - we've eaten dinner at BOG for the novelty and convenience factor, but have stopped making ADRs there, as the whole menu and experience just needed to be kicked up a notch.

$55 for an adult is fine but $35 for a child without more characters makes it not worth it

I’ve seen it posted about ordering just dessert at BOG dinner, but there is no way to know how many people actually do it. I would guess that there are far more families splitting entrees than ordering just dessert, but none of us (except Disney) know that for sure.

An a la carte menu means anyone can order anything. Your Disney “adults” who eat like birds can order children’s meals or eat off your plate. The older ones who aren’t quite ready for a full size adult entree can get themselves an appetizer. Prix Fixe means everyone over the age of 3 pays a certain amount.

I think this decision is all about Disney capitalizing on BOG’s popularity while it lasts.

$55 for an adult is fine but $35 for a child without more characters makes it not worth it
Yeah, I agree that the child price is nuts. $55 seems reasonable for an adult IF the food is actually high quality and a good step up from the current dinner offerings.

I’ve seen it posted about ordering just dessert at BOG dinner, but there is no way to know how many people actually do it. I would guess that there are far more families splitting entrees than ordering just dessert, but none of us (except Disney) know that for sure.

An a la carte menu means anyone can order anything. Your Disney “adults” who eat like birds can order children’s meals or eat off your plate. The older ones who aren’t quite ready for a full size adult entree can get themselves an appetizer. Prix Fixe means everyone over the age of 3 pays a certain amount.

I think this decision is all about Disney capitalizing on BOG’s popularity while it lasts.
I'm sure the vast majority split meals or order their own meals, but it's apparently common enough that apparently Disney thought they needed to do something about it. I can't think of another restaurant on property where this is even a discussion. They want to nip it in the bud.

If they go to 2 TS credits or prepaid meal they really need to have Belle and the Beast going table to table. I can't even imagine the outrageous cost this will be.

I agree SaintsManiac. While we enjoyed our past few meals at Be Our Guest, the food is nowhere near the caliber of other signature restaurants - like Narcoosees, Le Cellier, Yachtsman, ect...

They would have to do a lot to the food/menu to justify the move from 1 to 2 points in my opinion. And yes, Belle & Beast going table to table would be a wonderful touch.

I always thought that Elsa should be in Asherkus & Belle should be in Be Our Guest, just makes more sense to me!

I'm sure the vast majority split meals or order their own meals, but it's apparently common enough that apparently Disney thought they needed to do something about it. I can't think of another restaurant on property where this is even a discussion. They want to nip it in the bud.

I don’t think guests splitting meals or ordering only coffee and cupcakes were the reasons behind this change.

I think it was more like, “WOW! Look at all the people trying to get an ADR at BOG! How can we extract more revenue out of that?” :)

$55 for an adult is more than fair and I don't mind paying $35 for our kids. We let them order off the adult menu when we eat out so really no difference. I would rather get my kids a Filet and watch them actually eat it instead of a sirloin that they waste.

I don’t think guests splitting meals or ordering only coffee and cupcakes were the reasons behind this change.

I think it was more like, “WOW! Look at all the people trying to get an ADR at BOG! How can we extract more revenue out of that?” :)

If that's the case, it sure took them long enough to figure it out. BOG has been a coveted ADR for more than five years. I'm really surprised they didn't make it a signature restaurant years ago.

I’m extremely bummed over this. Beauty and the Beast is by far tops in our family and we make sure to get every adr we can there. We have always ordered full meals with the exception of my (at the time) 2&6 year olds who would share if they weren’t extremely hungry. We also were fans of DDP bc of the low stress ‘yes to (almost) everything’ factor.

We would eat every meal here if we could but now we’re going to be lucky to get a lunch or breakfast adr. 2TS credits is Absurd. The OOP price is Disney-reasonable for adults but if I’m forced to spend $35+ for young children that’s unfortunate to say the least.

I would have been ok if they made it prix fixe for adults and/or kept it to a single TS credit. We never did the cupcake thing and really enjoy every meal we have had there. Instead I feel like we were just pushed out of our favorite thing.

After all this discussion, I think we can agree on the lesson learned here: to turn around and become one of the most popular restaurants in WDW, Tony's just needs to add a unique character at dinner and then allow people to order a cupcake to get in for a picture. The food can still be awful, but the ADRs will all be gone within 10 minutes at 180 days out.

Joking aside and thinking about this more:
(1) I'm still confused by BoG's on-going "hybrid" approach - it's neither a full character experience nor a full "signature" meal based on the menu/ambiance/pricing (credits yes, pricing no). It's like the meal for people who just can't decide whether they want more characters or better food (those two often seeming inversely proportional at WDW). So you get one character and sort of better food.
(2) The cupcake thing doesn't bother me - nor do I think Disney is punishing them (they were paying customers - it's just that at the most popular restaurant at WDW Disney sees the opportunity for higher revenue per table with this switch). But it's not surprising they made the move - every other character meal/themed experience is buffet or price fixe - no getting into those for only the price of coffee or dessert. Yes - it's only one character, but the theming itself is as much of a draw.

But they go hand and hand. If all your tables are full but folks are not ordering a full table worth of food ... and there are still more folks out there that want to get a table to eat but can't .... then Disney in essence is losing money. There is a demand they are not supplying to. Now if Disney says no more cupcakes or splitting meals, everyone at the table must pay; Disney revenue goes up.

Funny story; CRT isn’t listed as a signature. It’s just a character meal that happens to require two credits. Seriously, check the brochure. I suppose that’s a distinction without a difference.

I don't consider CRT Signature. It's a highly coveted character meal in a small venue. Just 2 credits due to popularity. MK is the only park without a Signature restaurant. This will be it. My HOPE is they do make some changes to change the current QS feel because just throwing a table cloth on doesn't make it. Maybe there will be small touches that will help. If they went to TS/Prix Fixe all day then they could reduce the number of tables which makes is less noisy and abyss feeling, and takes the stress off the servers and kitchen .... yet probably would still increase revenue.

I'm interested in seeing the whole menu even though I'm not planning on trying for a dinner ADR.

But may be a possibility for a future trip - would definitely have to be OOP. So not worth 2 ts credits.

Well, I guess, that's the way the cupcake crumbles.

I am still surprised that people would make ADRs for dinner and order one cupcake. I understand it wasn't breaking any rules, but it is finding a wide open loophole I guess. A loophole Disney just closed. I am sure the servers have to be thrilled. Working for less than minimum wage and tying up a table where most people spend 200.00 for only 20.00 or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter