Private Transport vs Uber

dischris11

Mouseketeer
We are a family of five with luggage and a double stroller and need transportation from MCO to Disney. I’m seeing a lot of people using private transportation (especially the cast member run companies) instead of taking an Uber. However, it really looks like an Uber is a lot cheaper than private transportation companies, most of which cost $125 each way. Is there a reason why people are choosing them over Uber and is there something I’m not thinking of if we decide to grab an Uber at the airport instead of hiring a private company? Magical Express was still around on our last trip so this is a new consideration. Thanks.

The private companies give you the following benefits (IMO):
* Already arranged.
* Known price.
* You know the vehicle you're getting will fit your and luggage (because you've told them ahead of time what your requirements are)
* At least some (if not all) will meet you at baggage claim to help get your luggage to the vehicle
* Can arrange a grocery stop ahead of time (if desired), generally for no extra charge

As you said, the cost is a factor. I will say last year we were coming off a cruise, had a shuttle to MCO and had 8+ hours to wait before our flight. We decided to grab an Uber to DS for lunch and kill some time. It was $50 from MCO to DS and $125 from DS back to MCO for 6 of us.

The private companies give you the following benefits (IMO):
* Already arranged.
* Known price.
* You know the vehicle you're getting will fit your and luggage (because you've told them ahead of time what your requirements are)
* At least some (if not all) will meet you at baggage claim to help get your luggage to the vehicle
* Can arrange a grocery stop ahead of time (if desired), generally for no extra charge

As you said, the cost is a factor. I will say last year we were coming off a cruise, had a shuttle to MCO and had 8+ hours to wait before our flight. We decided to grab an Uber to DS for lunch and kill some time. It was $50 from MCO to DS and $125 from DS back to MCO for 6 of us.
wow! $125 back! That is definitely a lot.

If you need car seats private transport can usually provide them but it is not so easy with uber. We prefer private transport to and from MCO if not using Mears but use uber/lyft for little trips around Disney sometimes

If you need car seats private transport can usually provide them but it is not so easy with uber. We prefer private transport to and from MCO if not using Mears but use uber/lyft for little trips around Disney sometimes
Can you tell me why you prefer private transport from MCO?

In San Francisco a few months ago, we were 5 adults leaving a conference. Booked an Uber XL. The SUV that arrived was not as big as it probably should have been. (Also it was in terrible shape - think duct tape.) Combined, we had 2 large suitcases and 3 small, plus backpacks. The humans and the luggage took up every last bit of space in that vehicle. I've taken less than 10 ubers, so not a lot of experience, but I've had two crappy situations (including the above). For me, I would spring for the extra money on vacation and get the private transportation, especially when there are small children involved.

We just used a CM owned company for transfer from MCO last Saturday. For us the deciding factors were:
-we did not want to use Mears (did not want to wait for them to load a bus or go to several other resorts and did not want to chance that it would not be a bus picking us up for our return trip but instead could be a van or even a car).
- we did not want to bring our own booster (which is the #1 reason we couldn’t chance being picked up by a van or car if Mears did not send a bus)
- we needed a grocery stop
- we needed a booster seat because we weren’t taking a bus and Uber large enough for the 4 of us, our luggage, and a car seat was a tall order. I have honest to goodness had Uber arrive with a car seat held together with duct tape. Not looking to deal with that while I’m trying to just get to our resort.

That all said, Uber XL with a car seat from MCO with car seat runs around $75-100. For $125 I had a private car with a car seat (no duct tape in sight), scheduled pickup time, direct communication with our driver all day, and a grocery store stop. I was willing to pay $25-$50 more dollars for this. It really felt like a vacation the second our driver picked us up and it’s one less thing I have to worry about at checkout time tomorrow.

We use Uber/Lyft because, for us, it's always been cheaper than a town car and often cheaper and always much faster than Mears. We are 2 or 3 adults on each trip and book XL for plenty of room for our luggage (4-6 bags of varying sizes) and to spread out. In 10+ round trips from the airport, we've never gotten a car that's too small for the category and have paid between $40-$50 plus trip each way.

We are a family of five with luggage and a double stroller and need transportation from MCO to Disney. I’m seeing a lot of people using private transportation (especially the cast member run companies) instead of taking an Uber. However, it really looks like an Uber is a lot cheaper than private transportation companies, most of which cost $125 each way. Is there a reason why people are choosing them over Uber and is there something I’m not thinking of if we decide to grab an Uber at the airport instead of hiring a private company? Magical Express was still around on our last trip so this is a new consideration. Thanks.

because with a family that big and luggage and a double stroller, you would likely need two Ubers

because with a family that big and luggage and a double stroller, you would likely need two Ubers
That’s another good point. A sedan with a car seat is only going to seat 4 plus the driver (and that’s a tight fit depending on the ages/ sizes of the back seat passengers) so you’re already into XL territory which seats 6 BUT no guarantees on the luggage room (I’ve had rideshares show up with full trunks and/or the third row can’t be folded down to accommodate the luggage because of the car seats. So definitely smarter to get 2 smaller rideshares if you go that route. Which probably puts you very close to private car service pricing at that point.

I’ve taken rideshares from MCO plenty of times when it’s me alone or me and DH and no stroller/ car seat and not much luggage (maybe a suitcase and 2 backpacks) with no issue. As soon as my kids get involved it’s another story.

My thoughts are:

(a) If you have a double stroller, I'm wondering if you need a car seat.
Uber has a category of cars with a car seat, but a driver in that particular category might not be available when you need it.
Uber has not been adding drivers to that category.

(b) Which type of vehicle are you pricing?
If you are pricing the smallest Uber, it won't fit all of you and all of your stuff.
As PP said, even a larger Uber might not fit all of you and your stuff, and you would need two.

My thoughts are:

(a) If you have a double stroller, I'm wondering if you need a car seat.
Uber has a category of cars with a car seat, but a driver in that particular category might not be available when you need it.
Uber has not been adding drivers to that category.

(b) Which type of vehicle are you pricing?
If you are pricing the smallest Uber, it won't fit all of you and all of your stuff.
As PP said, even a larger Uber might not fit all of you and your stuff, and you would need two.
All good points. We were pricing the XL and it came in around $50. We don’t need a car seat but do need boosters but we have inflatable boosters we could potentially use.

All good points. We were pricing the XL and it came in around $50. We don’t need a car seat but do need boosters but we have inflatable boosters we could potentially use.
Uber says XL fits up to 6 passengers or extra luggage. The "or" is the important thing there.

If the third row of seats has to be folded down for the luggage and stroller, where will the other adult sit? In the crappy uber xl we were in, one adult rode in the back with the luggage. I don't think he had a seatbelt. If we had a stroller, that probably would have taken his "seat". Nothing legal about it, but we were all adults.

I think your family, luggage, and stroller *might* fit in an Uber XL. Might is too risky for me to start my vacation.

this is a personal decision as much as everything else…..

i haves used mears…… the town car side and never will again…
i have had great luck with Lyft, fair price, good service, but one issue with on drive, made me look elsewhere
i used destinations MCO, again with mostly good results, but the fit just wasn’t right….
Uber, has or should I say, they drives have screwed up every trip I have booked with them…..

my next stop will be to try Tiffany’s, after great reviews here, and speaking with them I feel they may be the solution….for me

ultimately it come down to you
it’s you vacation,
the town car is more money,
somewhat easier,
and more tailored to you….

are those things you value for your vacation….

all five of you, luggage and a double stroller aren’t fitting into a single Uber XL Unless you only have two pieces of carryon luggage and no personal items.
what are you taking to get to the airport that you’re departing from?

I need a car seat, and some of those uber car seats were pretty beat up. Sure I'll use them to get from point A to B within WDW (where everyone is more or less going the same way at lower speeds) but definitely not on a highway.

I took 2 Uber rides at home over the weekend, and those weren't the greatest drivers in the world. A car service is at least motivated to make sure their drivers aren't weaving all over the lanes.

To echo what others have said, the advantage to the private car service is that you will be able to know how much room you will have for your belongings. If you have 5 people plus luggage, most of the private companies will be able to accommodate you with either a full-size SUV (Suburba, Expedition, etc) or a larger van if you have excessive luggage. If you opt for an UberXL, you could get a vehicle like a Subaru Ascent which will hold the 5 of you, but NOT your luggage. Uber provides transport for people and makes no concessions for their belongings.

Currently MCO doesn't have the same issue that LAX has where rideshare drivers have to pick up passengers at a separate location (LAX-it) so using an Uber for WDW is really more of a matter of preference due to logistics.

When we were only in town for the day and didn't want to lose any time due to Uber error, we booked private cars. But when we were staying at a hotel, we used an Uber.

Since there's five of you, it's unlikely you'll all fit in an UberXL, so you'd likely end up taking two Ubers. It might still be worth it depending on the costs of a private car rental right now. I'd reach out to a few companies and see what their quotes are.

We had a private car company we loved that we used for DL, and they not only bumped up their prices this year but they also added in a mandatory tip to the charge. It made our quote twice what an Uber would have cost.

Yes, the private service is pricey. I’m seeing $125 each way and then you tip 20% on top of that. I thought even two Ubers would be significantly cheaper. But I’m not sure if there’s something I’m missing.

We just used a CM owned company for transfer from MCO last Saturday. For us the deciding factors were:
-we did not want to use Mears (did not want to wait for them to load a bus or go to several other resorts and did not want to chance that it would not be a bus picking us up for our return trip but instead could be a van or even a car).
- we did not want to bring our own booster (which is the #1 reason we couldn’t chance being picked up by a van or car if Mears did not send a bus)
- we needed a grocery stop
- we needed a booster seat because we weren’t taking a bus and Uber large enough for the 4 of us, our luggage, and a car seat was a tall order. I have honest to goodness had Uber arrive with a car seat held together with duct tape. Not looking to deal with that while I’m trying to just get to our resort.

That all said, Uber XL with a car seat from MCO with car seat runs around $75-100. For $125 I had a private car with a car seat (no duct tape in sight), scheduled pickup time, direct communication with our driver all day, and a grocery store stop. I was willing to pay $25-$50 more dollars for this. It really felt like a vacation the second our driver picked us up and it’s one less thing I have to worry about at checkout time tomorrow.
What car service did you use btw?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter