• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Private after-hours event at DCA on 8/24. Do I need to adjust our plans?

megankj

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip for August 24-25th, and just found out that DCA will be closing at 9pm on Thursday 8/24 for a private radio station event (guests can enter at 6pm). I'm trying to figure out how this should affect our plans if at all. We're about 12 days out from making dining reservations, so I have time to ruminate on it, but not too much!

The given circumstances:
  • 2 friends, late 30s/early 40s
  • We've traveled together a lot. I'm a planner, he's "go with the flow" but always comes away bragging to people about how much we got done!
  • Staying 3 nights at the Cortona Inn, right across from the Toy Story lot. The plan is to use the parking lot shuttle from there and stay in the parks rope drop till closing, with some slower-paced activities worked in throughout the day to keep our stamina up.
  • I'm living in San Diego now. He's coming out to visit from the East coast, so this is part of a longer visit.
  • We'll have spent the previous 2 nights in Sequoia National Park doing some hiking. We'll be packing in all our food for those days, so will be ready to enjoy Disney dining 😂
  • We currently have 2 Undercover Tourist tickets with Genie+ but no park hopping. I generally like to limit the "bouncing around" to appreciate the immersive theming, so in a vacuum, I prefer not to park hop on a short trip.
  • We've been to Disneyland together (1 day at each park) once, 5-6 years ago. I went to DL a bunch as a kid, and have visited a couple additional times as an adult, most recently one day at DCA just before Christmas.
  • Friday 8/25 is my birthday (not the reason for the trip, but a bonus!)
  • Sunset will be around 7:30pm in late August
Here's the original plan, including evenings in the park since that's the most relevant:
  • Arrive in Anaheim on Wed 8/23, leaving Sequoia mid-late morning. Dinner at Trader Sam's if I can get a reservation for 7pm or so.
  • Thurs 8/24 DCA
    • Hit attractions pretty heavily throughout the morning using G+ and rope drop strategies.
    • Slow down in the afternoon, catching shows, exploring Avenger's Campus, using a few more LLs, and taking a break at Lamplight Lounge (hoping to get a reservation for around 3:30pm)
    • Evening shows/re-rides if possible
      • Dr. Strange (not a big deal at all if we miss this. Could also just do it earlier in the day, but I've heard it's best later)
      • Incredicoaster (we will ride during RD and save our LL to ride at sunset or after dark)
      • World of Color (using VQ)- We do not need an amazing view, but do want to see it
      • RSR re-ride (willing to use ILL if necessary)
      • Guardians of the Galaxy re-ride (will rope drop and use a LL earlier, but we were planning to try to hit it as our last ride if we could make it in line just before closing)
  • Fri 8/25 Disneyland
    • Hit attractions pretty heavily throughout the morning using G+ and rope drop strategies.
    • Lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans, hopefully around 11:30am
    • More relaxed afternoon, with time for slower attractions/shows and snacks
    • Get to Galaxy's Edge around 3:30 and stay through sunset (both attractions, Oga's, quick service dinner)
    • Catch fireworks from Main Street, but otherwise evening is free for re-rides, unless an evening parade is added (I've heard this is possible due to the cancellation of Fantasmic, so I want to keep it on my radar just in case)
      • If possible, save LL for BTMRR to ride at night
      • Matterhorn, Space re-rides using Single Rider?
  • Sat 8/26 Return to San Diego
As far as I see it, here are our options for accommodating the likely evening crowds and early closing at DCA:
  • Keep our plans as-is, and just be prepared for increased crowds on Thursday after 6pm.
    • Pros:
      • Keeps the intended cadence of a lower-key park first, since we'll probably be tired from Sequoia NP when we arrive.
      • Lets us finish with Disneyland on my birthday, which just seems more fun- and lets us end with fireworks, which for me tops WOC by a bit.
      • Keeps with the original intention of hitting DCA on the likely more crowded day, since Imagine Keys are allowed on Thursday but blocked out on Friday.
      • I've managed DCA with crowds just before Christmas and it wasn't a big deal at all.
      • Depending on how aggressively they're kicking people out, we might be able to ride RSR with an ILL right after WOC, and then enjoy the lights in Carsland (maybe even get a snack?) as we work our way toward the exit.
      • Could even visit the Grand Californian bar for a nightcap in the unlikely event we have extra stamina.
    • Cons:
      • Crowds obviously stink, and depending on how big this event is they might be really bad?
      • With a relatively late sunset time, we will have a hard time trying to fit in most of the things we'd like to see at night. For example, I think we'd absolutely need to use an ILL if we want to ride RSR after WOC (scheduled for 8:15), and would probably need to be happy with two rides on Guardians.
  • Swap parks- do DL on Thurs and DCA on Fri
    • Pros:
      • Avoids the DCA event crowds on Thurs and gives us an extra hour of park time.
    • Cons:
      • Could potentially give us a more crowded day at DL on Thursday, and that's the park I think is harder to manage lines.
      • Risks "peaking early," doing DL on Day 1 and then leaving us tired for the park that has fewer attractions.
  • Add Park Hoppers
    • Pros:
      • Flexibility, letting us keep most of our plans but jumping ship when DCA gets too crowded.
      • Opportunity to juggle if things like weather or other issues temporarily shut down favorite attractions.
      • More park hours, specifically after dark when it's extra pretty and cooler.
    • Cons:
      • Obviously it costs extra money, and may involve some complication since they're Undercover Tourist tickets.
      • If we do pay extra for the hoppers, we may decide not to spring for ILLs
      • We'd still need to do WOC on Thurs night unless we are ok not ending our trip/my birthday with fireworks.
At the moment, I'm honestly leaning toward just keeping things they way they are and adjusting our expectations for Thursday night. Is this crazy? Would you do one of the other options, or something else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for reading all of this!

With Fantasmic down, that means you'll only be seeing the Fireworks. So if you don't care about nighttime entertainment might not be that bad

But I'd get a park hopper if you have any interest in WOC.

With Fantasmic down, that means you'll only be seeing the Fireworks. So if you don't care about nighttime entertainment might not be that bad

But I'd get a park hopper if you have any interest in WOC.

Based on what they did last year, it looks like they'll likely have WOC on Thursday at 8:15pm (for regular guests) and then twice during the party. If we get a VQ, is it still going to be impossible to catch that 8:15pm show? We're not concerned with a perfect view but do want to see it, and strongly prefer doing so on Thursday so we can end with fireworks on Friday.

We were at DCA last Wed, a very busy grad night, and the park closed at 9:00. We left after WOC. We got in the single rider line for RSR at late dusk after watching the street light up. The line took between 20 and 25 minutes. we got out and headed over to WOC and made it on time with decent spots to stand. To our family DCA is easily done in one day. We were able to ride RSR twice that day without ILL. Single rider lines are a great time saver.

I will note that on a previous visit we left riding RSR til after dark, and the ride broke down, and we missed it that day. Just something to consider.

I'm editing to add we had WOC at 9pm

We were at DCA last Wed, a very busy grad night, and the park closed at 9:00. We left after WOC. We got in the single rider line for RSR at late dusk after watching the street light up. The line took between 20 and 25 minutes. we got out and headed over to WOC and made it on time with decent spots to stand. To our family DCA is easily done in one day. We were able to ride RSR twice that day without ILL. Single rider lines are a great time saver.

I will note that on a previous visit we left riding RSR til after dark, and the ride broke down, and we missed it that day. Just something to consider.
Thanks! Yeah, with the possible exception of BTMRR at DL, I'm not planning to save a first ride on anything for after dark for that very reason. There are things we'd like to hit again in the evening for a different experience, but at least if it goes down or something delays us, we should have already done it once earlier.

I remember seeing the lines last Wed in the app, and you're right- it was super busy! We definitely plan to take advantage of Genie+, SR, and rope drop. We weren't initially planning to use ILLs unless we have to- but given the special event curveball, it might be worth it to get that after dark experience without mucking everything else up.

It's only 1 hr. DCA normally closes at 10pm. I personally wouldn't change my plans because of it.
Thanks, I think that's where I'm landing, so far at least. At first I was picturing hoards of extra people pouring in starting at 6. The more I think of it, I'm hoping we'll be done with most of our musts by then anyway- so with some planning ahead (mobile order if we want food, making sure to get the VQ, being prepared to use ILL if necessary) I really think we can manage.

Even if it is pretty bad, I'd rather have a few crowded evening hours at DCA than a whole mobbed day at DL- especially if all the pass holders go there (first week back after the summer, and the early closing at DCA).

Curious where you find this? I'm not even able to see park hours for Aug 22-26. (Absolutely not disbelieving you - just trying to figure out how people know these things.)

Curious where you find this? I'm not even able to see park hours for Aug 22-26. (Absolutely not disbelieving you - just trying to figure out how people know these things.)
Another poster replied to another thread I had posted letting me know. I was curious about something being up based on what was projected on TouringPlans.com. I'd since been able to confirm it by googling the radio station. Sounds like it's something they do annually, which was reflected in the historical park hours/entertainment schedule.

Another poster replied to another thread I had posted letting me know. I was curious about something being up based on what was projected on TouringPlans.com. I'd since been able to confirm it by googling the radio station. Sounds like it's something they do annually, which was reflected in the historical park hours/entertainment schedule.

Thanks.

Thanks! Yeah, with the possible exception of BTMRR at DL, I'm not planning to save a first ride on anything for after dark for that very reason. There are things we'd like to hit again in the evening for a different experience, but at least if it goes down or something delays us, we should have already done it once earlier.

I remember seeing the lines last Wed in the app, and you're right- it was super busy! We definitely plan to take advantage of Genie+, SR, and rope drop. We weren't initially planning to use ILLs unless we have to- but given the special event curveball, it might be worth it to get that after dark experience without mucking everything else up.
The only ride we ended up using ILL's for was Rise of the Resistance. It was pricey, but saved us a boatload of time. Hope you have a great trip!

I'm editing to add we had WOC at 9pm

We were there the same day! Grad nights were busy but not horribly so. I agree DCA can easily be done in one day. We did early entry and got on every ride except Grizzly Run, Radiator Springs, Mike and Sully and the Ferris wheel by 10:30 am. We even did incredicoaster twice. The rest of the day we did the other rides, rode a few again, and checked stuff out at a leisurely pace.

So I guess the question that follows if we do decide to stick with the plan to visit DCA without a hopper on 8/24.... we'll probably try to see WOC from the back of the VQ area in hopes that we can fit in one more quick ride after the 8:15 show (likely RSR or Incredicoaster) if we can hop in line before 9. Once we get off that ride, what should we expect to experience? Obviously no more rides, but could we take our time getting to the exit? Are we allowed to buy snacks or browse stores?

We tried a leisurely exit on a grad nite when they shut down at 9pm. If we didn’t have the special bracelet we weren’t allowed in the stores or food venues….

Sounds like fireworks on your birthday is a big draw. Don’t forget that fireworks are frequently canceled due to wind. It’s sometimes hard to know if they will be canceled or not. End of august could definitely see our Santa Ana winds. I always advise people to try to see fireworks early in their trip in case they are canceled because then you have another opportunity. Having park hoppers would give you a back up evening show if fireworks are canceled Friday.

Sounds like fireworks on your birthday is a big draw. Don’t forget that fireworks are frequently canceled due to wind. It’s sometimes hard to know if they will be canceled or not. End of august could definitely see our Santa Ana winds. I always advise people to try to see fireworks early in their trip in case they are canceled because then you have another opportunity. Having park hoppers would give you a back up evening show if fireworks are canceled Friday.
Thanks! Yeah, I've experienced that before- although I'm glad that at least we'd have the projections this time if so?

Honestly it's less about needing fireworks on my birthday/on our last night, and more about making sure we save some things to look forward to even at the end of our visit. A trap I fall into when planning trips is doing everything we're most looking forward to first, so that by the end I'm kind of bored and filling time/ready to go home. The anticipation of a Disney trip is a big part of the fun for me- even when we're there and anticipating things still on the list! All that to say, if they're cancelled it's not the end of the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter