Princess Weekend 2024!

For those of you who have run the princess half (or any half?) and stayed at an EPCOT resort (BW, BC/YC), if you stay at the after party long enough and run slow enough, are you able to walk back to the Beach Club (or your EPCOT resort) after the race if the park is open? I assume you need your park ticket/valid admission but if you are an AP and have an EPCOT park pass for that day, is this an option? Otherwise, do you take a bus back to the resort?
I might be able to sort of answer your question. One key here is that I was going into Epcot well ater the park was open.

After finishing the marathon last month around 12:30pm, I had a couple of things I wanted to do in Epcot before going back to my room and showering before heading back to the parks as I was concerned that the things I needed to do in Epcot would not be available after I returned to Epcot that evening.

I did not have to go through security again to enter Epcot after the race. Instead of heading to the race resort buses, I followed directions to the main entrance. This does not pass by the Epcot security area as it was "already secured." I did not have my magic band on me, so when I went through the park entrance, I took out my phone and showed them my ticket. They scanned a regular park ticket for me and had me do the finger print and I was in the park. I took care of the things I wanted to do and then took the Skyliner back to my resort since I was staying at Pop Century. Obviously, if I had been at an Epcot resort, I could have walked or taken the friendship boat to my resort.

One thing to keep in mind. If for whatever reason, your park ticket requires a park reservation for that day, you would need to have Epcot as the park you reserved that day. In my case, that was right before they stopped requiring park reservations, but my dinner plans were in Epcot anyways, so it wasn't an issue. But if you had to have a park reservation and had Animal Kingdom booked that day, you would have to scan in at Animal Kingdom first before park hopping to Epcot.

As a reminder this only applies if for whatever reason they are requiring a park reservation that day. And if your ticket is one park per day, scanning into Epcot for what you want to do would lock you into Epcot for the rest of that day.

This is my first run Disney race (half marathon) and I'm a local, so I headed over to the parks to check out the course. I couldn't tell much from the map sent, but I spoke with a very helpful cast member who walked me through the entire route. I like that we get a good run through MK and the castle! Epcot seems to be mostly through back stage areas, which is also cool. I'm a little concerned that most of the race is along highways, which looked very boring today. Please help me to get excited and tell me what to expect along the highway parts of the run. Thanks. And let me know if you have any questions about the routes inside the parks. I've always felt more comfortable knowing what to expect, so I find comfort in walking the route first.

This is my first run Disney race (half marathon) and I'm a local, so I headed over to the parks to check out the course. I couldn't tell much from the map sent, but I spoke with a very helpful cast member who walked me through the entire route. I like that we get a good run through MK and the castle! Epcot seems to be mostly through back stage areas, which is also cool. I'm a little concerned that most of the race is along highways, which looked very boring today. Please help me to get excited and tell me what to expect along the highway parts of the run. Thanks. And let me know if you have any questions about the routes inside the parks. I've always felt more comfortable knowing what to expect, so I find comfort in walking the route first.
There are a lot of highway miles, but there will be random character stops, the occasional DJ or marching band, and the traffic on the opposite side of the highway barrier (on the parts where both sides are not in use for the race) the cars will often honk to cheer on the runners.

Personally, I like the highway miles (other than the on/off ramps) because there‘s a lot of space to spread out and run the race your way, while the parks can sometimes get congested. On the other hand, there’s nothing as magical as coming in under the train station and running up Main Street towards the castle.

Pro tip—when you come through the back of the castle from Fantasyland, stay to the far left for the best chance of a good “I just ran through the castle“ picture. And then get in line for a picture in front of the castle—the lines look long, but they have multiple photographers and it goes quick—I regret not stopping during my first Princess Half.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction 😁😁

There are a lot of highway miles, but there will be random character stops, the occasional DJ or marching band, and the traffic on the opposite side of the highway barrier (on the parts where both sides are not in use for the race) the cars will often honk to cheer on the runners.

Personally, I like the highway miles (other than the on/off ramps) because there‘s a lot of space to spread out and run the race your way, while the parks can sometimes get congested. On the other hand, there’s nothing as magical as coming in under the train station and running up Main Street towards the castle.

Pro tip—when you come through the back of the castle from Fantasyland, stay to the far left for the best chance of a good “I just ran through the castle“ picture. And then get in line for a picture in front of the castle—the lines look long, but they have multiple photographers and it goes quick—I regret not stopping during my first Princess Half.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction 😁😁
Thank you! And will you your castle tip. Tried to see what it was like going through the castle today, but it was closed. I don't think I've seen it open in years, so that will be awesome to actually run through the castle!

Totally agree with this!! Excellent points. 💜

As a reminder this only applies if for whatever reason they are requiring a park reservation that day. And if your ticket is one park per day, scanning into Epcot for what you want to do would lock you into Epcot for the rest of that day.
Thank you so much and yes, it's why I asked the question! We are AP holders and our park reservation is for MK that day. I am debating changing it to EPCOT in the event that we want to walk back to the Beach Club. I originally reserved MK on Sunday because I was worried the park would "sell" out that day (when EPCOT usually does not, plus I could park hop it later). Decisions decisions!

Please help me to get excited and tell me what to expect along the highway parts of the run.
Disney Princess Half is one of the most fun races (in my opinion). There is a lot to see and while the highway miles can be boring-ish, it's still Disney and people are super friendly and fun. I just wanted to wish you a wonderful race and I hope you have the best time ever. I am not local so coming down to do this is the one of the highlights of my racing each year!. 🥳 💜💗👑

Disney Princess Half is one of the most fun races (in my opinion). There is a lot to see and while the highway miles can be boring-ish, it's still Disney and people are super friendly and fun. I just wanted to wish you a wonderful race and I hope you have the best time ever. I am not local so coming down to do this is the one of the highlights of my racing each year!. 🥳 💜💗👑
I love Princess Weekend too! I've only done it once before but a women-focused race is such a special event. I have done a bunch of Disney races (see my signature, which I need to update with DL I now realize), but this race may have been my favorite.

My plan is to run those highway miles at a good pace, and then slow down and take in the MK portion. Same thing on the way back and then slow down for Epcot, look for the new Walt statue. As others have said, the race opens up on the roads and I plan to take advantage while I can.

@Lauri you will have a great time, I'm sure of it. It seems like highway when you are driving through and it's not a race, but you'll see, all the other runners (so many in fun costumes!), the music, the characters, the energy, will all make it totally different from your drive through.

For any virtual runners, my virtual 10K package arrived today.

I've had the virtual summer series medals arrive before the challenge series was complete, but never had the virtual medals arrive before the race had even taken place.

For any virtual runners, my virtual 10K package arrived today.

I've had the virtual summer series medals arrive before the challenge series was complete, but never had the virtual medals arrive before the race had even taken place.
My friend got her 5k package last week I posted a pic of her shirt in case anyone wanted to color coordinate their post race fits

My friend got her 5k package last week I posted a pic of her shirt in case anyone wanted to color coordinate their post race fits
And then there's me. I opened my box to make sure they sent me the 10K medal and shirt and then closed it up again since I have to run the distance first before I consider the medal earned. So I don't even remember the color. If all goes to plan, I'll run it tonight because the next 2 weeks are really crazy on my end.

In my defense I'm a guy who loves Disney animated fairy tales so this is mostly about celebrating my love of Disney animation and this crazy running journey as opposed to color coordinating my race outfits. Although at least I did wear blue running pants with my Mandalorian Armor Sleeping Beauty running shirt during the Disneyland Half last month so that counts for some color coordination, right? :rotfl2:

Great timing: I just came down with the cold my son had all last week. Holding out hope I'll be better by next Sunday, and practicing good mental health by not freaking out about missing or cutting short my last weekend of running before the race, in order to focus on rest & recovery.
Sorry to hear about your cold. I came down with a cold 1 1/2 weeks before my first marathon and Dopey. It wound up being a particularly nasty cold to boot. I wound up skipping all planned taper runs and just focused on rest. I still didn't feel great when I left for Disney World the Tuesday before marathon weekend. I gave myself permission to skip the 5K and 10K if necessary, but I felt stronger each day and finished all 4 races.

Good luck in recovering and get as much rest as you can. Your training will take care of the rest when that time comes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter