Princess Weekend 2024!

I don't think not having the themes was the reason for not selling out. I think you had several factors. Princess historically is the weekend that mostly always sells out. Its quite rare that it doesn't. Princess started with no real themes other than "princess" as well. I think it could still be fine if they didn't have a specific princess for each distance.

Other weekends have different aspects/factors. Marathon Weekend for example, you have a marathon which is a much more daunting distance. That specific race has not always sold out. Pre-covid these races also were much larger. Now post-covid with a smaller field its obviously easier to sell out when you have less space. You also had a covid running boom and the "influencer" effect. Not until really 2019-2020 did we see the influencers really start to take to runDisney. Now they all think they are runDisney experts after a couple races or even just one in some cases.

People with large followings advertise these races essentially making them more sought after. A lot of the people who ran Disney pre-2018 will tell you they found these races organically. I for example discovered runDisney in 2014 when a relative of mine ran. I know other who had trips during a runDisney weekend and said "they have races?" and then proceeded to sign up for a future one.
Right. There are obviously a lot of factors driving things right now with the whole "sells out in minutes" thing. I just don't see how they're going to put the genie back in the bottle with themes at this point (especially when it comes to weekends like SS that took awhile to fully sell out this year) if they choose to market all of the races the same.

Right. There are obviously a lot of factors driving things right now with the whole "sells out in minutes" thing. I just don't see how they're going to put the genie back in the bottle with themes at this point (especially when it comes to weekends like SS that took awhile to fully sell out this year) if they choose to market all of the races the same.
I don't see them not revealing themes pre-registration going forward.

As for Springtime that's a whole other set of factors. Since the Star Wars days that weekend has struggled. I don't think it's the themes that are the issue there either but rather time of year. It's always battling spring break. Many people aren't going to take off for spring break and then again for this race. It has always been the smallest of the four weekends too.

I'm glad they announce the themes in advance now, it does affect my decision re: which races to run. It is helpful since I can't usually do them all, though I'd like to! (And I loved Star Wars race weekend, hopefully that returns someday.)

That being said, I actually prefer when runDisney races had more consistency. I definitely preferred Chef Mickey/Epcot every year to whatever Wine & Dine IP melange is happening now (more races beyond Marathon weekend should feature Mickey!). So I don't mind at all if they do the same princesses. :)

I liked when the Princess half design was simply repeat variations of tiaras that said "Disney's Princess Half Marathon," for example! The medals were shiny, pretty, usually did not fall apart, featured the race/Disney name prominently, and looked like actual metal medals! That's all I need. :) I have several of those medals/shirts, and I love them. Those shirts are quality and have held up to years of wear.

In general I wish they'd focus less on changing themes, and more on the quality of the basics (a semi-consistent race logo, better medals, better race shirts, bring back key name-branded merch items, hire a clothing/merch designer with a better sense of athleticwear style for heaven's sake, what are they even doing). So much of it is junk, or junky-looking now and it was not that way in the past.

If they'd bring the basics back up to par with ~10+ years ago, I'd pay way more!! :)

Last edited:
IMO they should stop announcing themes altogether. You want to do the weekend? Do it. You'll find out much later who the "host" is etc.

As long as they offer a virtual option (and I just can't see that money grab going away), they pretty much have to announce the themes before registration day.

Plus, it's freaking hot in Orlando in April.

This past year Wine and Dine had virtually the same conditions as Springtime. SS was almost better because it was only a 10-miler. I know on average Springtime probably has the highest probability of being hot, but the reality is that any of the races could be brutal.

I suspect that Springtime has a bunch of things going against it - the lack of a following/perfect status, the potential weather, the proximity to spring breaks, the fact that it falls at the end of the runDisney year when people are tapped out financially, etc. I did my first Springtime this year and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It lacks the buzz of the other race weekends, but IMHO that lead to a more chill atmosphere. If I do Princess, it's going to be hard to also afford to do Springtime this year, but I would like to try.

I'm glad they announce the themes in advance now, it does affect my decision re: which races to run. It is helpful since I can't usually do them all, though I'd like to! (And I loved Star Wars race weekend, hopefully that returns someday.)

That being said, I actually prefer when runDisney races had more consistency. I definitely preferred Chef Mickey/Epcot every year to whatever Wine & Dine IP melange is happening now (more races beyond Marathon weekend should feature Mickey!). So I don't mind at all if they do the same princesses. :)

I liked when the Princess half design was simply repeat variations of tiaras that said "Disney's Princess Half Marathon," for example! The medals were shiny, pretty, usually did not fall apart, featured the race/Disney name prominently, and looked like actual metal medals! That's all I need. :) I have several of those medals/shirts, and I love them. Those shirts are quality and have held up to years of wear.

In general I wish they'd focus less on changing themes, and more on the quality of the basics (a semi-consistent race logo, better medals, better race shirts, bring back key name-branded merch items, hire a freaking clothing/merch designer with a better sense of athleticwear style for heaven's sake, what are they even doing). So much of it is junk, or junky-looking now and it was not that way in the past.

If they'd bring the basics back up to par with ~10+ years ago, I'd pay way more!! :)
I don't mind changing themes but at least have some cohesion. The mess that has become Wine & Dine is so disappointing especially the 2022 themes. It's food and wine, make it food and wine related.

I'm in for the 10K with a charity. I wasn't going to sign up, but my cousin got me with FOMO. She is doing the challenge and 5K, I'm doing the 10K, and her younger sister is doing the half. We've been working on her sister for a bit to do a Disney race, and I'm not missing it :)

Today definitely learned to make sure to be clearer with family about spring race plans. Somehow gave family member wrong impression I would do this and Springtime. Which no. Springtime was fun but there's a reason I only do FL once a year. And it deals with cost convenience.

Things are a bit on the fence because of some other unexpected things (I'm hitting three national parks (Yellowstone, Tetons, and Glacier National Park not in that order) next week to two). And of course, now having to explain how to do runDisney registration because my flight to Jackson Hole leaves at the same time registration opens. On the dot.

But weren’t they also not selling out? Offering discounts at expos? Seems like a no brainer for them to continue the early announcement when it usually sells out on the first day the last couple of years.

I'm me, not Disney. It bugs me that there's all this kerfluffle about themes. I want it to be simple.
And I want discounts back. They made me happy.

I also want nighttime races back, but not through AK.

I was under the impression that most of the races sold out.

I liked when the Princess half design was simply repeat variations of tiaras that said "Disney's Princess Half Marathon," for example!

Exactly. NO "theme" other than PRINCESS. That might not be your point, but it's what I take from it.

I haven't gotten my Club runD e-mail link yet, should I be worried? Ugh.

Everyone ready for registration day? I always get in, but I'm always afraid my luck will run out one of these days.
Me too! Not sure if I'll ever be ready (boy has it become stressful...) but I have always been lucky too. Granted, I usually just want the half distance for January or Princess weekend but I am also worried that my luck will run out also. Thankfully, these boards are a terrific support network and always so much help. Good luck to everyone registering on Tuesday!!

I’m really nervous for registration! My sisters and I are all going to be trying to get in to the Challenge (although we’d all be ok with just the half too), and my fear is one of us will miss out while the other two get in. Since it’s my older sister who is the most set on it and is the main reason I’m even trying to sign up, I’m really hoping she gets in. I don’t want to risk not getting in by waiting to sign up until she does, but also only want to go if we all get in. Why does this have to be so stressful?!

Wasn't actually considering signing up for this race until a comment by someone I know (relating to running in Disney) made me look up the upcoming races and realise that Princess half registration is opening next week!

Thinking very hard about whether I want to register for this. On one hand I really enjoyed the couple of runDisney weekends I've done and it seems that the timing of Princess half marathon weekend fits in with my plans for the next year. On the other hand they're just so expensive (and made worse by the fact that I live halfway across the world from Orlando - takes the same amount of time to get to Orlando whether I fly East or West)!

Looking at flights and hotels right now and trying to figure out if I can make it all work...

Wasn't actually considering signing up for this race until a comment by someone I know (relating to running in Disney) made me look up the upcoming races and realise that Princess half registration is opening next week!

Thinking very hard about whether I want to register for this. On one hand I really enjoyed the couple of runDisney weekends I've done and it seems that the timing of Princess half marathon weekend fits in with my plans for the next year. On the other hand they're just so expensive (and made worse by the fact that I live halfway across the world from Orlando - takes the same amount of time to get to Orlando whether I fly East or West)!

Looking at flights and hotels right now and trying to figure out if I can make it all work...
I hope you can make it work. I enjoyed talking with you at a HH meetup (cannot remember if it was W&D or Marathon weekend) and you were pretty excited about the races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter