Princess Weekend 2023 (Feb 23-26, 2023)

This stuff can and will happen at any runDisney weekend. Now it is typically heightened at Princess but I didn't find it all that bad for my first Princess. The only real issue I has was at a character stop, a group of like five jumped in with a friend in front of us and then they all took individual photos and a group shot.
Conversely, my friend said she much preferred the vibes during Princess than Marathon weekend. She said MW was too serious for her. :D

I had a great time during the half on Sunday. I was in corral b, we were off quickly and had no issues running the whole time. My husband met me in runner reunion with a flute of champagne for me and my friend.

I did pick up the disney crud this weekend though, which was a bummer

This was my fourth Princess Weekend. It was the best one yet from the expo (even with the VQ) to the races and I plan on running again next year. The three previous weekends were an estrogen overload from tantrums to tears and everything in between, but this year it seemed every princess was on their best behavior.

I usually drive to the races, but used the buses over the weekend. Creepiest thing ever is to close down the beer tent and be the ONLY ONE on the bus back to your resort.
This was my fourth Princess Weekend. It was the best one yet from the expo (even with the VQ) to the races and I plan on running again next year. The three previous weekends were an estrogen overload from tantrums to tears and everything in between, but this year it seemed every princess was on their best behavior.

I usually drive to the races, but used the buses over the weekend. Creepiest thing ever is to close down the beer tent and be the ONLY ONE on the bus back to your resort.

View attachment 743182
.....and now i have a new goal for future RunDisney events. Close down the beer tent.

Yup! I did the 10k, and am determined to register for the half next year. Then I can lay out my medals by progression: 5k in 2022, 10k in 2023, and half in 2024. :)

I have some other friends who are considering the half as well. Bring on registration day!

If you do go on the Wish and miss the 5k, your kids can do the Castaway Cay 5k! (I'm doing the Panama Canal cruise this year and am sad we don't go to Castaway so I can get that medal, too.)
.... Full in 2025, Goofy in 2026, Dopey in 2027.
...And the sickness continues

I had a great time during the half on Sunday. I was in corral b, we were off quickly and had no issues running the whole time. My husband met me in runner reunion with a flute of champagne for me and my friend.

I did pick up the disney crud this weekend though, which was a bummer
I'm hoping I didn't pick it up. For once my allergies were quiet, so I'd say I'm more accustomed to Florida pollen than I am to Colorado (home) pollen. No joke I started sneezing when my plane entered CO air space. The wind in Denver too has been intense and my coughing and sneezing seem connected. I really hope it's not the crud. I got the Disney COVID last year at MW.

Has anyone washed their shirts yet? Are they like the ones during MW?

I'm worried about putting them in the washing machine and ruining them 😬

My wife got the same mug. Did you notice the error above the pics? Half marathon and Challenge distances are swapped.

Also on the corksicle.

DH swears he wasn't trying to cop a feel on poor Tink but it sure looks that way

Now that's funny.

I’m interested in hearing about the race etiquette most of you had during this weekend.

Since I'm slower (even when I'm faster than I have been) I watch things unfold ahead of me. I'll see 3 groups converging, then a much faster person coming up behind them, thinking they are all together. It's heightened at princess because of so many wide tutus and princess outfits.

Sometimes it's all one clumpy group, but usually it's just more than one group, none of whom are willing or able to change their pace that quickly, that create a clump.

I don't tend to yell out, but I get fairly close and say in a lower voice (I personally cannot hear high tones with my natural hearing, and I don't run with the equivalent of $5000 behind my ears, so I use a low, carrying tone) closer, either "on your x side" or "in the middle" and saying thank you.

As long as there isn't a fistfight at the expo (like in 2017) I'm OK, but I do prefer other weekends.

I was able to run my pace easily between photo stops and water stops by looking for those gaps and sometimes asking politely if I could squeeze by a group. I had to go around runners on the grass a few times, but I merged back into the crowd courteously. If you accidentally brush up against someone just saying “I’m sorry” can go a long way.

Agreed.

one of the women leading it cuts in front of me and calls out "3, 2, 1 walk" and I had to dodge to keep from flattening her.

It's why I despise the pace groups. They have zero etiquette. I'm so incredibly glad I was on wider stretches of course when they came upon me, and that I didn't encounter the (especially egregious IMO) 3:30 group as I have in the past.

The one thing I did notice is folks would hold up their hand to either start running or walking which was a lot of what was talked about in reference to race etiquette. The only problem is when folks hold up their hand but forget to check their rear view mirror. I saw folks tripping running into the backs of people and one person knocked down by someone that swerved over to start running.

Ayep. There's no reason any of us doing intervals should expect anyone not doing intervals to have even a single clue about what putting a hand up means. So it is absolutely on those changing speeds to look behind them both ways before slowing down or speeding up.

Forgive my grammar above. I'm very very distracted since my (new adult) son is sick at home and I'm stuck until my flight tomorrow.

Anyone else planning Princess weekend 2024 already? I'm doing all other race weekends between now and then too (and DL!) but my family really wants to try the Disney Wish during our school vacation week in Feb 2024, which is always the week going into Princess weekend (its always the week of President's day). So day 1 back home and I'm already checking the cruise schedules... we can either do the 3 day the Fri-Mon before (and then stay 7 days at WDW? Ouch $$$) or do the 4 day Mon-Fri but then my daughters miss out on the 5k (they did it for the first time this year and really liked it) and I would probably skip the 10k and just do the half..... hmmm...... Wish they made the cruise schedule more runDisney friendly!

(and yes I know it would be ideal to do the 4 day cruise the day after the race weekend, but I can't take the kids out of school the week after vacation week! Ugh....)
Nothing more for rD this year, but I did sign up for the Marine Corps Marathon today.
Twice I had to defer due to divorce chaos (about 10 years ago), so I'm looking forward to finally accomplishing that race.

Also on the corksicle.

Now that's funny.

Since I'm slower (even when I'm faster than I have been) I watch things unfold ahead of me. I'll see 3 groups converging, then a much faster person coming up behind them, thinking they are all together. It's heightened at princess because of so many wide tutus and princess outfits.

Sometimes it's all one clumpy group, but usually it's just more than one group, none of whom are willing or able to change their pace that quickly, that create a clump.

I don't tend to yell out, but I get fairly close and say in a lower voice (I personally cannot hear high tones with my natural hearing, and I don't run with the equivalent of $5000 behind my ears, so I use a low, carrying tone) closer, either "on your x side" or "in the middle" and saying thank you.

As long as there isn't a fistfight at the expo (like in 2017) I'm OK, but I do prefer other weekends.

Agreed.

It's why I despise the pace groups. They have zero etiquette. I'm so incredibly glad I was on wider stretches of course when they came upon me, and that I didn't encounter the (especially egregious IMO) 3:30 group as I have in the past.

Ayep. There's no reason any of us doing intervals should expect anyone not doing intervals to have even a single clue about what putting a hand up means. So it is absolutely on those changing speeds to look behind them both ways before slowing down or speeding up.

Forgive my grammar above. I'm very very distracted since my (new adult) son is sick at home and I'm stuck until my flight tomorrow.

"Ayep. There's no reason any of us doing intervals should expect anyone not doing intervals to have even a single clue about what putting a hand up means."

For the longest time, I thought they were:
  • Waving
  • Going to high-5 someone
  • Had a question

I'm hoping I didn't pick it up. For once my allergies were quiet, so I'd say I'm more accustomed to Florida pollen than I am to Colorado (home) pollen. No joke I started sneezing when my plane entered CO air space. The wind in Denver too has been intense and my coughing and sneezing seem connected. I really hope it's not the crud. I got the Disney COVID last year at MW.
You sure it isn't something else in the air in Denver.....?

I felt bad yesterday evening, felt like I might lose some food, and had a borderline fever.
But nothing bad happened and I feel better today. No clue what that was about. Maybe just reaction to such an extreme day on Sunday?

HA! I said if I do okay in the half, I'll consider the challenge in 2025. I definitely want to do the marathon someday. I'll be 45 in 2026 which seems like a good year for it! (I can't see myself ever doing Dopey. Too many early days for me.)
haha...famous last words "I can't see myself doing Dopey" ... pfft. Remember it's not the early days, it's the 48.6 miles!

and also...6 medal, come on, 6 medals!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter