Princess Weekend 2021

Similar to @Dis_Yoda , with Star Wars cancelled and points returned, I booked my home resort OKW for Princess 2021 weekend and will possibly be joining you all.

Actually excited, since if schedules remain the same as last year it overlaps with Festival of the Arts, which is my favorite EPCOT festival!

I'm so happy to see that the thread for 2021 PHM has already been started! I'll be doing the 5K & 10K since I'll have just had a baby, so the HM/Challenge are out for me this time around. We have a large group of us doing the 5K, so we've been discussing themed outfits and whether or not we should split into smaller groups to make it easier to decide on what to wear. As a rD veteran, I'm not stressing about it, but the others in my group are, especially given the state of the world right now. But, planning our trip has helped pass the time and help this feel less isolating. It's nice to have something so positive to look forward to.

Trying to maintain my running excitement here... Anybody who has run Princess before, what do you love about this weekend? If you've never run Princess before, what are you looking forward to? Let's keep the running mojo up!
I'll start: I have never run a predominantly-female race before and am totally looking forward to that vibe! I also love wearing a running costume and seeing everyone else's and I'll bet the fashion is ON for Princess weekend!

I am running this race, my first race ever, with my two female cousins. We have never gone away together, just us, before and we are really looking forward to this challenge together!!! Tomorrow, marks the final day of my 8 week training where I am supposed to run the full 5k distance without stopping!!!! I cannot believe that I have truly gone from couch to 5k. I think I’ll stick with the 5k distance for a bit before turning my efforts to train towards the 10k.

I have run four previous Princess half marathons. The first I did with DH and he was miserable! And not just because I had him dress up as Mickey Mouse. He just was not the right person to bring to a Princess run; he was not at all into the sisterhood vibe!
The past three I ran with a girlfriend and had a blast! I am super excited about 2021 because we have a group of 8 women (including my sister!) committed to doing the HM. Two of us have four HMs under our belts and the other six are fairly new to running. I have our DVC reservation set and we are voting on our coordinating costumes next! So fun. Its been a great distraction during all this seriousness.

I am running this race, my first race ever, with my two female cousins. We have never gone away together, just us, before and we are really looking forward to this challenge together!!! Tomorrow, marks the final day of my 8 week training where I am supposed to run the full 5k distance without stopping!!!! I cannot believe that I have truly gone from couch to 5k. I think I’ll stick with the 5k distance for a bit before turning my efforts to train towards the 10k.

:banana::dogdance::dogdance:
Good for you JJ2017! That is really awesome progress. I hope your 5k run goes well tomorrow!
Are you and your cousins planning costumes?

:banana::dogdance::dogdance:
Good for you JJ2017! That is really awesome progress. I hope your 5k run goes well tomorrow!
Are you and your cousins planning costumes?
My one cousin is in charge of that!!!!!!!!! But we asked her to be "tame," ha!

Trying to maintain my running excitement here... Anybody who has run Princess before, what do you love about this weekend? If you've never run Princess before, what are you looking forward to? Let's keep the running mojo up!

I've run Princess once before, and even though I'm not a stereotypically girly person, the Princess and girl power theme is my favorite of all the races. (Helps that the medals and shirts in 2018 were absolutely gorgeous!)

I loved that, in general, the participants I met were more focused on fun than competition, my best corral conversations occurred during Princess weekend. I also love Florida weather at the end of February and as previously stated, it now overlaps with my favorite EPCOT festival adding to the positives. If only the half marathon course could be retooled for less highway, it would be perfect!

2021 will be my 4th straight Princess weekend and it is just an incredible time! I have done all 3 races over that time, which included my first ever Half Marathon this year so I will always be partial to this weekend for nostalgia. It is also my favorite because it is a tradition for my mom, sister and I to do the 5K together every year. It's always the ultimate girls weekend!

The best part about the weekend for me is the costumes! I love seeing everyone dressed up and getting the chance to wear a costume. I always put a lot of time and thought into my running bounds and it just adds an extra level of fun for the whole race.

I'll start: I have never run a predominantly-female race before and am totally looking forward to that vibe! I also love wearing a running costume and seeing everyone else's and I'll bet the fashion is ON for Princess weekend!

I've run this race several times in the past (see info in my signature), and I'd have to say that in comparison to other rD races that I've run, I'd say this one has the most on-course entertainment. I don't have to carry my headphones because I don't need something to keep me entertained while I'm running, since there is so much to check out on the course. From the characters to the different bands/DJs, and the volunteers/Chear squad people, there's never a dull moment. And while I've never had someone on the course cheering me on personally (since my friends & family tend to sleep through the races LOL), I like to pretend they're there for me from time to time.

And you just can't beat having the opportunity to run down Main St USA and through Cinderella's castle. That moment is pure magic for me, even if it gets clogged up & crowded, I don't care.

So true - I had tears in my eyes the entire time this year. It was an indescribable feeling of pure Disney magic

My highlights from previous runs:
The guy dressed up as Dr.Doofenshmirtz running in a lab coat with a Perry the Platypus attached.

A dad running with his three daughters. The girls were the Three Caballeros and Dad wore a poster board sandwich announcing his Three Caballeros.

There are a lot of runners who are running in honor of or in memory of someone. Those shirts always get me.

There was a visually impaired runner who had a guide in a fluorescent vest. My running companion has an infant granddaughter who had just been diagnosed as severely vision impaired. When we came upon this runner, my friend just burst into tears. She was so inspired and encouraged.

My first year running, I didn't submit a POT and was near the last corral. As I was just starting the race, the leaders were coming in to finish and I could see the lead woman running, flanked by the cyclists who guard her in the home stretch. It was awe inspiring!

I was registered for the Star Wars Half and super bummed it was cancelled so OBVIOUSLY I am looking to register for another race! In your (maybe slightly biased ;)) opinions, is Princess Half more fun that WDW Half? Is the course worth it? (It looks like mostly highway running with very little park time but I could be wrong).

If you've never run Princess before, what are you looking forward to?
I ran my very first ever 10k yesterday (organised race cancelled due to coronavirus so ran 'race for one'). It was all in preparation for next February's Princess 10k, if I get a spot. I'm mostly looking forward to the atmosphere at the start of the race, but as I'm travelling from the UK I'm staying for 10 days, getting 9 days in the parks is the cherry on the cake.

I ran my very first ever 10k yesterday (organised race cancelled due to coronavirus so ran 'race for one'). It was all in preparation for next February's Princess 10k, if I get a spot. I'm mostly looking forward to the atmosphere at the start of the race, but as I'm travelling from the UK I'm staying for 10 days, getting 9 days in the parks is the cherry on the cake.
How did your 'race' go today!??

How did your 'race' go today!??
Well I came first 🏅which was nice

I hadn't run that distance ever before, the longest was 9kms the last two weekends in preparation. It was warm (for the UK) but windy, and my goal from starting this plan a few months ago was to run under one hour, and I did it in 58 minutes and 13 seconds, which was very pleasing. I felt like I had some puff left in my lungs but my legs were tired out. It was a lovely run around country lanes, and because of the lockdown it was peaceful with only a car or two. I can't see me going any further in distance but my aim now is to work on increasing my speed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter