Primeval Whirl Model Photo

does anyone remember the old wild mouse coasters? that's what this model looks like to me.

Wow! That thing looks great! It's perfect!
blech.gif

Originally posted by smithdaddy
does anyone remember the old wild mouse coasters? that's what this model looks like to me.

ding!

<dl><dt>From http://www.reverchon.com/anglais/cadres.htm

<dd>"WALT DISNEY
Continuing its huge sucess with the Spinning Coaster. Reverchon Industries France is proud to announce the signature of a contract with Walt Disney for the supply of 2 Spinning Coasters. These two units will be installed in Orlando and more especially in Animal Kingdom where they will be the main attraction of the new extension Dinorama. The two Spinning Coasters will be fitted with a specific theme designed by Disney but will remain Reverchon standard Spinning Coasters. A brand new shape of the cars has been designed for these attractions."
</dl>

Oh gosh. Ick.

I suppose its par for the course with dinorama. This is what I was affraid of. Ugly support structure showing and all.
It wouldn't take much to hide this. Put it in a building maybe? The coaster isn't that large so the building wouldn't have to be quite as big as space mountain or r-n-r.

It looks like the model has only one track lay-out. Wasn't there supposed to be two different tracks with slightly different ride profiles for each?

Now, before the “why can’t it be an E ticket” crowd chimes in let’s look at some of the positives.

* Reverchon is not the same company that made the DCA mouse coaster (Mack). This bodes well for the Whirl being able to start-up as projected.

* They could have very easily saved some design dollars by giving us a straight DCA clone. Could signal a major reversal in their recent philosophy.

* I know there are a couple of Reverchon mouse coasters at the Jersey shore. One in Atlantic City, and another about an hour down the road in Wildewood. I’m not sure where all else they are? However, I remember seeing something on TV about 3-4 years ago, that Wildewood was the first installation of the spinning kind. It is very possible that WDW will get a ride that only exists one other place in the U.S. This should make it a novel experience for a good portion of guests.

* Reverchon also offers a portable model. What if Chester and Hester’s was also a traveling road show. To stay true to the story they would have had to go with the portable version and move it around the park. That might have been a little tacky.

On a negative note, I see that Disney PR slipped again. Once a year they get out all the models in an open house type setting and people give their feedback. The most common response gets posted. They really should have cropped the picture so this doesn't show (see bottom right hand corner).

As it seems Dinoland USA is coming to completion now, let's review what we have.

1. An E Ticket (Dinosaur) On a stand alone basis, it's a pretty good attraction. It's my ideal concept of a thrill attraction. A dark ride that combines high technology with marvelous visuals and takes you on a wild ride. One that many family members can enjoy. Note that I said "concept" not "execution." Spiderman is the perfect execution of this concept, Indy (from what I hear is as well. Dinosaur (boiled down to basics) is a rapid ride with many empty spots that periodically stops at a dinosaur. Very little imagination in that story. The wild, jerking motion is 75% of the thrill and adventure of it, the other 25% is the "possibility" of getting "gotten" by a dinosaur. It just comes off as a missfire in my opinion.

2. A D Ticket (Primeval Whirl) Since WedWay, the Skyway and Star Jets were D's, I can comfortably assign D to this attraction. Without the benefit of experiencing it yet, I can't pass honest judgement. But, I'm looking forward to it, I think our family will enjoy it. I fall somewhere in the middle with respect to it fitting in at WDW. It seems to fit the theme that has been presented (Chester and Hester) but Werner's point that it is akin to a Six Flags attraction can't be dismissed. I have to wait to see it and experience it.

3. A B Ticket (Triceratop Spin) A spinner, one that will likely have many little kiddos lined up for miles to enjoy. I certainly would have liked a more imaginative B ticket attraction. Something different than a spinner. There are other carnival-type rides that could have been done that aren't the same old spinner. But, it will be a hit.

4. A Show (Tarzan Rocks!) I don't like this show, not my cup of tea. Nice enough venue, maybe we'll get a better show in the future.

5. A first class playground (The Boneyard) Playgrounds are a huge hit for young kids and Disney did it right with this one. Our daughter could spend an entire day in there.

6. A McDonald's. Too bad, but I guess you have to reward the one footing the bill.

7. Cretacious Trail. Hey, does anybody else know this is considered an attraction?

8. Carnival Games. Really wish they hadn't done this.

Now I'm out of time, so I close quickly. In all, Dinoland USA is a disappointment. Dinosaurs are so popular and this land could have been great.

My current opion gcurling is that Dinosaurs are so popular that there is no way possible Disney could have done anything satisfying with it.
But that's just Personal opinion. I'm over Dinosaurs.
Other then that, I think you sum things up pretty good.

Let me say that I just returned and found the "new" Dino-Land to be refreshing. The rest of AK is so "dark" that I find this area a nice step into the world of "fantasy" with it's bright colors and lights.

An E Ticket (Dinosaur) On a stand alone basis, it's a pretty good attraction.

As for Dinosaur, all I can say is TERRIBLE! I cannot stand that ride. While some people like this sort of thing, I find it WAY TOO LOUD and lacking in originality (can you say "jurassic park"?)
Disney could have done so much with Dinosaurs, besides make them scare the bejeesus out of people. I thought it would be more like their movie Dinosaur than like Jurassic Park.
I love thrill rides, but this is poorly done. I expected something themed closer to their movie.

A Show (Tarzan Rocks!) I don't like this show, not my cup of tea. Nice enough venue, maybe we'll get a better show in the future

As for Tarzan Rocks!: This show is fantastic. The music is wonderful and high-energy. I really hope it doesn't go anywhere! For those who don't like it, I guess the message gets lost. This show is sooooo Disney.

The new Primeval Whirl looks fun. I love the old mouse coasters and think it is a fitting ride for the them of "Chester & Hester's".

Carnival Games. Really wish they hadn't done this.

and last, the carnival games. I like the idea but find one part of it disturbing... the price. Since we already pay for admission, these should be included. JMHO.

Disney cannot please everyone all the time. So expect that when you do not like something, there is someone out there that DOES. and vice versa.

Kamy

! For those who don't like it, I guess the message gets lost. This show is sooooo Disney.
Not true in my case. The movie lays out the message pretty clearly. Sure, at its core, the show is in keeping with the message. However, the medium that is used (extremely loud music, x-games type entertainment) is that part that's not my cup of tea. It's just a taste preference, that's all. Compared to the other Animated Features, turned stage shows at WDW it's my least favorite.

I never forget one DIS'ers trip report where they describe their journey in the cab of the monorail. The driver asked them about shows. They responded that they really enjoyed Festival of the Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The driver acknowledged that those were among most guests favorites. The guests then inquired, "well, what's the least favorite" His response was "have you ever seen Tarzan Rocks?"

I guess I'm in the minority (again), but I like Dinosaur better than Indy (DL). Its not that I dislike Indy. On the contrary, I enjoyed it very much, and went on it twice on our last trip to DL. But I like Dinosaur even better. Maybe its from my childhood love for dinosaurs...

Since its been over a year since we've been to WDW, I can't comment on the newer attractions in Dinorama. But the boneyard playground was there, and 2 year-old (at the time) DS loved it. The McDonalds is a downer for me. Not my favorite, even by fast food standards. But again, I realize that's just a personal preference.

For what it's worth...

Although Dinosaur is okay, Indy's better. I also thought Dinosaur was better when it was Countdown to Extinction, especially the in-queue show up on the high walls.

Primeval Whril looks just like a DCA Mulholland Madness (i.e., a generic Mad Mouse), but with spinning cars. The spinning cars had better add a whole new dimension of Fun (and I don't mean that in an engineering sense, because I know it adds a rotational dimention!) because Mulholland Madness is a bust (and I notice it's down for refurb - think they're putting spinning cars on it?).

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience.

Gary

They said TWO spinner rollercoasters in Orlando. One is in AK, so where is the other one?

At first I thought that Dinoland was Disney's move into a cluster of money suckers but come to think of it, some of the countries' pavilions at Epcot are nothing but gift shops.

If Primeval Whirl is no more than a wild mouse ride with scenery (I have seen the standard bare wild mouse coasters decades ago) we might note that Space Mountain is also a wild mouse ride, actually two of them side by side.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

There are a couple of different "mouse" coasters. The "wild mouse" type rides were coasters that were similar to twisters, except that they used slower speeds and very sharp, tight (and unbanked) turns. (There was a "wild mouse" in Wildwood, NJ, which I absolutely loved as a kid and almost fell out of). Lots of these coasters were torn down, because the fast, unbanked turns were very rough, and some of their safety records weren't so great.

These new "Mad Mouse" coasters are different (and some people still call them "wild mouse" rides, although they're not exactly like the old wild mouse rides). They are slower and unbanked, but they tend to have sharp turns with a very regular, serpentine layout. IMHO, they're very boring compared to the old wild mouse rides. They have individual cars (usually one 2-row car) like the old wild mouse coasters, too.

I don't know if anyone "official" has defined it anywhere, but I've always thought of space mountain as more of a twister - its turns are banked, and it crosses back and forth on itself frequently. It uses multiple cars chained together (yes, only 2, but wild mouse coasters used individual cars). It does seem to have some (old-fashioned type) wild mouse features, though. It's turns seem sharper than the average twister, and its drops seem more sudden. But they might seem that way just because of the darkness.

Anyway, the new Mad Mouse coasters just aren't very good (IMHO, as always), and this looks like one of them. I hope spinning helps.

Gary

P.S. Just checked americanmidway.com - they define Space Mountain as a "steel twister, enclosed". I didn't see anything on ACE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter