Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin is a very nice guy, wealthy family, struggled in high school and college, took forever to get through med school (Caribbean). Fortunately his dad was a hospital president, so he’s an ED doctor. There is no way he’d end up where he is without his wealthy white privilege. My nephew got into one college with a 35 act, my sister blames affirmative action, and not his low grades. They can afford any college.
I don't know how you posting about how stupid your family is........has anything to do with what White Cat said.
He said he wanted the most QUALIFIED person for the job, not the WHITE person for the job.

Being a tolerant person does not mean one has to tolerate bigotry or hatred such as is happening today against those that participate in pride month any more than one tolerates other bad behaviors. Being a tolerant person doesn't mean one must resign themselves to be a doormat. Nor does speaking out against such make one a hypocrite. Nor is bigotry and ill treatment against LBGTQ just another legit point of view to be debated.
Very well stated! I see it like this:

Tolerance of others is part of the basic social contract that exists between humans as a whole. As soon as someone displays intolerance, they've violated that social contract. They don't then get to turn around and expect to reap the benefits of the very same contract that they just breached.

You are the person who literally said that you refuse to use "new age terms" for gender identity and will stick to the "established terms." I'm very glad to hear that you've evolved on which terms you consider acceptable for race. But my question is, why are you willing to use modern language to describe race, but unwilling to use it to describe gender identity? What, in your mind, is the difference?

This term started as LBG, then it changed to LBGT, now it's LBGTQ+ (at least I think that's the latest letters being used, I could be wrong). There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what this group wants to be called. Besides that, why do I have to change? Who are you or anyone else to tell me what is ok for me? I don't care for the term cis so I'm not going to use it. Why aren't you accepting and loving to me about my choice or this a one way or the highway deal?

Wrong.
Try competing for certain jobs as a white male, and your competition is a black female.

It certainly can, and does happen that the black female is more qualified, but the white male walks into the interview with “strike two”.

My husband also experienced discrimination in the 70s, strike 1- he was white, strike 2- he was male, strike 3- he was a VietNam vet.

1- The Civil rights movement made it very hard for him, he was the wrong color. Like it or not that is the fact.
2- Women's movement made it very hard, he was male.
3- VietNam vets were considered to be drug addicts whether they were or not.

Life isn’t fair. You can’t penalize people to make it fair for others. If someone is cleaver enough and willing to spend the time to figure things out and take some chances they can have a nice enough life. If they spend time hanging out smoking dope, having babies at a young age and quitting school not so much.
There are plenty of people who do just that. And they're STILL white and male. And believe me, they ain't livin' high off the hog.

Funny how some people see Black (or name your minority, frankly) and the knee-jerk assumption is the above quote, and when they see white the assumption is that they're they're all successful or "victims" of affirmative action.

Why? I mean I would avoid the summer months (June, July, August) if I could, but why rule out a single month, which, normally the early part of the month, the weather is decent and crowds still aren't quite terrible?

I wouldn't vacation there in June either, it's too hot.

This term started as LBG, then it changed to LBGT, now it's LBGTQ+ (at least I think that's the latest letters being used, I could be wrong). There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what this group wants to be called. Besides that, why do I have to change? Who are you or anyone else to tell me what is ok for me? I don't care for the term cis so I'm not going to use it. Why aren't you accepting and loving to me about my choice or this a one way or the highway deal?
AGAIN... language evolves. Why is that hard to understand? Going back to what someone else asked you ...do you still use derogatory terms for Black people? What about people with Downs? How about Asians?

No? Then why can't a person grasp that as we learn and grow and accept...our language changes, too.

I gotta wonder if you are generally this obtuse or if you are just pot stirring?

I don't know how you posting about how stupid your family is........has anything to do with what White Cat said.
He said he wanted the most QUALIFIED person for the job, not the WHITE person for the job.
And I’m saying a white male is more likely to get a job over a more qualified woman of color.

AGAIN... language evolves. Why is that hard to understand? Going back to what someone else asked you ...do you still use derogatory terms for Black people? What about people with Downs? How about Asians?

No? Then why can't a person grasp that as we learn and grow and accept...our language changes, too.

I gotta wonder if you are generally this obtuse or if you are just pot stirring?
When I was getting my masters in special education decades ago, the word retarded was a diagnosis, in textbooks. I’m guessing it’s not anymore.

Agreed. We should move Pride Month to December. 🤣

It's June because of the Stonewall uprising anniversary, seen as the start of the Movement.

Instead of moving it to December, maybe just have 2 Pride Months? That way we keep the one in June, but we also get one in the cooler weather months! That would be so nice .. all the Christmas trees could be decorated with those pride ornaments!

The weird thing about pride month is that it celebrates people due to an immutable characteristic that they have no control over. I mean at least black history and women’s history months celebrate, not black people or women, the contributions of those populations to the American experience. And those months, that I know of, aren’t really “celebrated“ in the Disney parks. Christmas is both a religious and secular celebration by upwards of 80% of the American population. Easter gets a week in the parks and is something again celebrated by most Americans, especially those with kids. The 4th of July, which is a highly celebrated day for most Americans, gets 3 days of special events/snacks in the parks. So it’s really odd to me that pride month (and keep in mind that only 7.1% of the population identifies as LGBTQ) gets a whole month of celebration for people being….themselves. It’s just weird. Now, that being said, I’ll totally go to Disney in June. Doesn’t bother me. Just saying that it’s just odd why Disney does what it does. It just feels like an agenda I guess.

The weird thing about pride month is that it celebrates people due to an immutable characteristic that they have no control over.
Yes, but not quite. It's more of a recognition that people, once shunned, persecuted, and outlawed BECAUSE of that characteristic, are now being seen as decent members of society. What better reason to celebrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter