Price increases this year?

It's disappointing that they aren't following Walt's philosophy of having an affordable experience for all families. I can't believe how much 2 day tickets cost for a family of 4....oh well though. They will continue to increase ticket prices. But what is the breaking point for everyone?

It is only when they see a significant decline in attendance will they stop.

Which did happen this summer! However, it was most likely fear of record crowds that kept the crowds away. With ROTR not opening until early next year and the likely result of some delaying trips until that opens, they may just feel that another price increase this year could be risky. But what do I know...

Which did happen this summer! However, it was most likely fear of record crowds that kept the crowds away. With ROTR not opening until early next year and the likely result of some delaying trips until that opens, they may just feel that another price increase this year could be risky. But what do I know...

I honestly think decline in attendance is due to the fear of crowds. Which is kind of ironic.

I honestly think decline in attendance is due to the fear of crowds. Which is kind of ironic.

We didn't go on our usual trip in April because we didn't renew our Deluxe APs. The drastic price increase coupled with the major Disneyland Days cut from the pass was the tipping point of not being even a good value for our vacation dollar. (Great was gone 4 years ago). So, now we are debating if we even want to go back in the near future after reading the post of all the cuts of entertainment on the boards as well as the constant price hikes for food, snacks, add ons, etc. (and they keep stream lining menus too which really is frustrating).

We didn't go on our usual trip in April because we didn't renew our Deluxe APs. The drastic price increase coupled with the major Disneyland Days cut from the pass was the tipping point of not being even a good value for our vacation dollar. (Great was gone 4 years ago). So, now we are debating if we even want to go back in the near future after reading the post of all the cuts of entertainment on the boards as well as the constant price hikes for food, snacks, add ons, etc. (and they keep stream lining menus too which really is frustrating).
My wife and I also did not renew our passes this year. We had the Select pass, and last year we were able to go on Friday afternoon to almost all of them other than the summer. Then this year just about all Fridays are blocked beginning in March, ugh. So the value became lost on us. Also the loss of nighttime entertainment which brought us to the parks for dinner and music is gone, zero, zilch left. On the last day of our passes earlier this year we realized going there was just for rides now, no entertainment really anymore.
Now that it's been a few months, I have the itch again though. I want to go on Sunday for my birthday, but what just a few years ago on discount days would cost $100 or so for 3 people, now would be $450. Still considering it with passes again, but with only 13 total Fridays unblocked for the full year it appears, hmmm. I guess we would go less, but then make the days count more. It's frustrating since in the summer we went to Knotts with some tickets we won and had a great time once nighttime came with all the bands that used to play at Disney, even cast members who were in the T-Party Band were there! ugh, what to do, I love Disneyland... maybe I'll go get a hotel in the area and just go to downtown Disney and the hotel for dinner and get the "feel" of Disney without spending a ton.
I think it's people like you and I and spur of the moment visit people how are just not going as much now. Cost is too high with less to do than ever, and all of us passholders have already ridden the rides 300 times each.

My wife and I also did not renew our passes this year... Also the loss of nighttime entertainment which brought us to the parks for dinner and music is gone, zero, zilch left. On the last day of our passes earlier this year we realized going there was just for rides now, no entertainment really anymore.
... It's frustrating since in the summer we went to Knotts with some tickets we won and had a great time once nighttime came with all the bands that used to play at Disney, even cast members who were in the T-Party Band were there!...
Please send in a comment to Disney to tell them how you feel about the entertainment cuts and how they have affected your experience as a regular/formerly regular park visitor. Be detailed about how much you enjoyed the bands and the experience and how you have even gone to Knott's to see your favorite bands who used to play here. (No surprise since Jon Storbeck moved from DLR to Knott's.) Let them know that the lack of entertainment was influential in your decision to let your APs lapse. You are not the only one to notice the dramatic cuts in live entertainment (both is quantity and quality) and to miss all the music. Disney needs to know that guests do notice and do appreciate the entertainment! You can use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the DLR webpage to send in a comment. Include all your contact information if you want them to follow up with you -- and don't be surprised if someone does get in touch!

I don't buy this explanation at ALL. Disneyland had been relentlessly crowded day after day, year round, for the last couple years. It was just getting worse and worse. Disney ADMITTED that they raised prices as a crowd control measure. It seems it worked, just a little too well. People balked and decided to start voting with their wallets.

Please send in a comment to Disney to tell them how you feel about the entertainment cuts and how they have affected your experience as a regular/formerly regular park visitor. Be detailed about how much you enjoyed the bands and the experience and how you have even gone to Knott's to see your favorite bands who used to play here. (No surprise since Jon Storbeck moved from DLR to Knott's.) Let them know that the lack of entertainment was influential in your decision to let your APs lapse. You are not the only one to notice the dramatic cuts in live entertainment (both is quantity and quality) and to miss all the music. Disney needs to know that guests do notice and do appreciate the entertainment! You can use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the DLR webpage to send in a comment. Include all your contact information if you want them to follow up with you -- and don't be surprised if someone does get in touch!
Good idea, I did that, actually a few times over the years. Each time Disney has called me by phone. Once appeared to be really helpful as they discussed the live music coming to the Food and Wine Festival, but this last time they simply left a voice mail to me indicating they take into consideration the guests needs and adjust entertainment throughout the year and thanked me for getting in touch. They have great customer service. I think I'll write them again. I still may end up getting the passes again on Monday. I miss going there and the atmosphere, but at night it's just not the same, now it appear more live entertainment being cut for the daytime too.

I don't buy this explanation at ALL. Disneyland had been relentlessly crowded day after day, year round, for the last couple years. It was just getting worse and worse. Disney ADMITTED that they raised prices as a crowd control measure. It seems it worked, just a little too well. People balked and decided to start voting with their wallets.
Disney needed to do something (on the AP front) to get crowds more manageable. I think the "too well" is due to fear of crowds getting worse with "Star Wars Land." There are many people who put off their annual trips this year because of this. I know I have put future trips on hold due to the crowds.

Disney needed to do something (on the AP front) to get crowds more manageable. I think the "too well" is due to fear of crowds getting worse with "Star Wars Land." There are many people who put off their annual trips this year because of this. I know I have put future trips on hold due to the crowds.

I'm sure SOME people put off trips, but the low crowds lately are largely due to LOCALS not coming. The majority of visitors is always locals. With all the word out that crowds have been nonexistent for the last 3 months, you would think they would come flocking back en masse. But they haven't. I maintain that is due to the price increases across the board.

I'm sure SOME people put off trips, but the low crowds lately are largely due to LOCALS not coming. The majority of visitors is always locals. With all the word out that crowds have been nonexistent for the last 3 months, you would think they would come flocking back en masse. But they haven't. I maintain that is due to the price increases across the board.

And locals don't put off trips? I am not saying that cost isn't a factor OF COURSE it is. But just the same the expectation of crowds also played a significant factor, in my opinion.

And locals don't put off trips? I am not saying that cost isn't a factor OF COURSE it is. But just the same the expectation of crowds also played a significant factor, in my opinion.
Here's an example. My Mother found out it's $150 to get in this Sunday, so she said she will wait till Spring if they offer the 3-day ticket for locals at $180 again. $30 more but get 2 extra days seems better. Probably crowds return then. Maybe they will offer a Fall deal like they did quite a few years ago. Can't remember exactly when, but it might get more locals who spend money at the festival. Select passholders are unblocked for November Fridays, but not October, so maybe they will return then for the food. The booths were packed last year, as was October, but they weren't blocked last October Fridays like this year.

My wife and I also did not renew our passes this year. We had the Select pass, and last year we were able to go on Friday afternoon to almost all of them other than the summer. Then this year just about all Fridays are blocked beginning in March, ugh. So the value became lost on us. Also the loss of nighttime entertainment which brought us to the parks for dinner and music is gone, zero, zilch left. On the last day of our passes earlier this year we realized going there was just for rides now, no entertainment really anymore.
Now that it's been a few months, I have the itch again though. I want to go on Sunday for my birthday, but what just a few years ago on discount days would cost $100 or so for 3 people, now would be $450. Still considering it with passes again, but with only 13 total Fridays unblocked for the full year it appears, hmmm. I guess we would go less, but then make the days count more. It's frustrating since in the summer we went to Knotts with some tickets we won and had a great time once nighttime came with all the bands that used to play at Disney, even cast members who were in the T-Party Band were there! ugh, what to do, I love Disneyland... maybe I'll go get a hotel in the area and just go to downtown Disney and the hotel for dinner and get the "feel" of Disney without spending a ton.
I think it's people like you and I and spur of the moment visit people how are just not going as much now. Cost is too high with less to do than ever, and all of us passholders have already ridden the rides 300 times each.

We have Knotts APs now. We got them after our Disney APs expired and we were in CA for a wedding. The cost for 5 APs were LESS that ONE Disney Deluxe AP!!! I enjoy seeing the entertainment at Knotts. Sad Disney is just letting such talented people go (Plus for Knotts to get them as they leave Disney!)

We have Knotts APs now. We got them after our Disney APs expired and we were in CA for a wedding. The cost for 5 APs were LESS that ONE Disney Deluxe AP!!! I enjoy seeing the entertainment at Knotts. Sad Disney is just letting such talented people go (Plus for Knotts to get them as they leave Disney!)
Their band Hiatus also has played Irvine Spectrum not too far away for free. So we've gone there when blocked out from Disney. Another reason we spent money at Irvine for food and things, but not at Disney. Whenever we attended the nighttime entertainment at Disneyland we always bought dinner and drinks, but not now. It still boggles my mind with those 45 minute drink lines at DCA for the T-Party that they shut it down just a month before the same themed movie that was coming out. I also recall they had just started playing the new videos with the show as well, couldn't have been cheap to produce them and use for barely a month or so.

This is terrific advice and you should get your Disney-going friends and family to do the same. Definitely say that you will be going to the park less and/or going to neighboring parks as a direct result of this, because those are the kinds of comments that make the most noise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter