Pretty Sure They Created a New Festival Just For Us - 2 week Jan DR *COMPLETE

It was absolutely beyond gorgeous when we left the movie theater.

We decided to head over to the bus stop and take the first bus to come for the Boardwalk area. A short time later a Yacht Club bus pulled up. Good enough for me.

After arriving at the Yacht Club we took a nice walk over to the Boardwalk resort.

We reached our final destination. Ample Hills! It's ice cream time!

I had read about this place already of course and I pulled up pics on Instagram on the bus ride here and while I thought I knew for sure that I was getting the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake I saw that they offer ice cream flights here. I was intrigued.

The decor in here is super bright and inviting and cute.

Rob got a boring milkshake, so I didn't even bother to get a photo. Plus I was very concerned with my own ice cream. I tried to get them to do his milkshake first because I knew that would take time and I didn't want my ice cream to melt, but they wouldn't do it, which was weird.

Anyway, this is my glorious ice cream flight.

So, what are the flavors you ask? Well let's start with the orange beauty at the top and work our way around clockwise.

We start with Sally Sells Seashells which is exclusive to this Ample Hills at the Boardwalk. It is an orange marshmallow ice cream with salty chocolate seashells.

This is not normally something I go for, but it sounded interesting and I liked that it was exclusive to this location. I liked that it was a mixture of orange and marshmallow flavors, so the orange was not overpowering. The chocolate shells with the touch of salt broke it up quite nicely as well. A hit!

Next was PB Wins the Cup which was vanilla ice cream with peanut butter chocolate flakes throughout and chunks of housemate peanut butter cups.

This was good, but not my favorite. The peanut butter cups in it were tasty and I love peanut butter, so it was enjoyable.

Next was the Malty Salty Pretzel Punch which was vanilla ice cream with chocolate covered pretzels in it.

This was good and I loved the pretzels in it to give you the sweet/salty combo, but they could be more inventive with the ice cream flavor here to give it a bit of a wow factor.

Then comes my favorite, Nonna D's Oatmeal Lace. Dark brown sugar cinnamon ice cream with housemate oatmeal lace cookies.

I loved this! The ice cream flavor was unique, unlike the last two which were just a plain vanilla, and I loved the oatmeal cookies in this. I hate oatmeal raisin cookies, because ewww raisins, but I love oatmeal cookies, which you can rarely get raisinless. My mom makes me a special batch of raisinless oatmeal cookies every Christmas and I love them. This ice cream was seriously tasty.

Then comes my next favorite, the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake. This is vanilla ice cream, but this time it has cream cheese and chunks of Ooey Gooey Butter Cake.

Even in this smaller serving size there were many large chunks of the ooey gooey butter cake. So good!

Last up we have Strawberries and Cream, which is just strawberry ice cream.

I have been on a bit of a strawberry ice cream kick lately, so I chose this flavor. It was good, but plain. I think it would be good mixed with the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake. Yum!

They weirdly did not sell drinks here, which annoyed Rob to no end and we had to make a stop at the bakery for a drink for him. He wasn't wowed by this place at all, but he made a boring choice. I loved the ice cream flight option! I liked everything and now I know which flavors I would try again on a future trip. It got me to try flavors I normally wouldn't get. The serving size for each flavor was just right. Not too much or too little. You got a few decent spoonfuls of each kind. It's hard to tell by the photo, but it was slightly bigger than it appears. I will definitely be back!

It was such a nice temperature out that we decided to walk through Epcot and get a bus back to POFQ rather than take a bus from Boardwalk to the Springs and then Springs to POFQ. So we ended up in a park after all!

It actually seemed not busy at all around WS, but we didn't stay in the park. Just a quick walk through and a look at Spaceship Earth and we were out.

We got back to our resort around 5:30pm and decided to rest up before dinner at one of our favorite spots. Raglan Road!

Wow, what a great no-parks-okay-a-tiny-bit-of-one-park day! You're really selling T-Rex... May need to pick up some discounted Landry's cards before the next trip. You know, just in case.

Your pictures are gorgeous from this day! What a lovely blue sky - Rob may have been wrong about TRex and milkshakes but he sure picked the correct month for perfect Florida weather. The quintessential ice cream and Boardwalk day! I hope the weather holds out at "spring" temperatures and doesn't hit the high 80s/90s at the end of March. Orlando can be so unpredictable :confused3

We had just missed Paddlefish too, but it's on my general list of ideas for the next trip - maybe not a whole meal but I at least want to get drinks at their rooftop bar. Gotta love Disney for giving us plenty of options for "next time"!

YOu would think Ample Hills would at least sell water or soda to help you down your ice cream! Glad you enjoyed it. It seem the Sally Sea Shells people either really hate it or are fine with it. Very polarizing!
Glad you had a good meal at T-rex! We've never made it there either.

I've only been to T-Rex once, and it was when they first opened.....and I only had soup so it doesn't really count. After seeing your nachos, I booked it for our arrival day in September. Me and nachos go way back, and we're pretty tight. I think I could live off of nachos, and live a very happy and fulfilling life.

I am loving your no parks day!! I really need to book a longer vacation in August so that becomes feasable. Ample Hills sounds so delicious, and you've even made T-Rex seem inviting!

We have never ever eaten here before! I make a reservation every time and every time Rob backs out on me. This time I was determined. You can win contests and awards at my job and they give you points through this system that you can redeem for gift cards and electronics and all kinds of stuff. Well, I win this one particular award every single month and get the equivalent of $75 in gift cards. Before we left for vacation I redeemed some of my points for $150 in Landry's gift cards, so we were eating here for sure this time!

My old company did this! I loved it. We ate at Yak and Yeti a few times. That's awesome that you can score one every month.

I was so disappointed that they opened right after we left. Same with Planet Hollywood. Oh well, gives us something to look forward to next time right?

I have heard good things about Paddlefish!

Let me tell you, Rob fought this place and it is his new favorite now. He talks about this meal all the time. It was really good and it was free! Free nachos maybe the best thing you can hope for in life, am I right? :laughing:

Definitely! I haven't eaten there since 2009 but everything you had looked delicious.

I loved this! The ice cream flavor was unique, unlike the last two which were just a plain vanilla, and I loved the oatmeal cookies in this. I hate oatmeal raisin cookies, because ewww raisins, but I love oatmeal cookies, which you can rarely get raisinless. My mom makes me a special batch of raisinless oatmeal cookies every Christmas and I love them. This ice cream was seriously tasty.

Ah, SOOOOO good!! Between that and the Ooey Gooey butter, I'm not sure which I liked more.

Why do I always read dining reviews and dining reports when I'm hungry? I'm practically drooling on my keyboard here.

I just added an ice cream flight from Ample Hills to our list. YUM!

Yay, I love your reviews! I follow you on IG and loved seeing your pics there!

Nine Dragons...never gave this much thought....until now. The meal looks delish!

Ample Hills is on my list since we are staying at the BWV!

Love your pic of the flowers and BW in the background!

We love TREX. That flatbread is so good...I get it everytime. Glad you enjoyed it

Whoop! I'm in :)

We just got back Saturday. I'm feeling conflicted about our trip...so I think I need a do-over too! Now to just convince the hubs lol.

We used to go to T-rex a lot when DS was younger. Now that he's in the midst of "cool" teen-age stage, he could care less. But he mentioned about their food and how portion size is huge there. I guess one of these days when we staying longer than 5~6 days, we will make it to Disney Springs.

Wow those nachos look good. We stay at POFQ and that may be an arrival day lunch option. TREX always looks slammed at dinner time when we walk through DS. Lunch looks like a better choice (if we can tear ourselves away from WPE)

We tried T-Rex last August and really enjoyed it, our meal was free as well with my Landry card and Birthday credit! The nachos look really good and I love a good flat bread. The ice cream flight looks like a good choice, we tried the strawberry ice cream there in February and it was good but not great, we were boring I guess.

What a gorgeous day to spend goofing around (mostly) outside the parks! Perfect for the Boardwalk area. I am hoping to do the Ample Hills ice cream flight with my little guy after our "fancy" dinner at Flying Fish when we go in September. Looks like the perfect way to try all the yumminess! :-)

Glad Trex worked out. We are big trex fans too! I'm glad to know you used a landry's gift card because I have one too & thought I'd save it for TRex!!!! It looks like you had a perfectly relaxing day between DS & the boardwalk! This just gets me so excited to go,so excited to see all these new things. :tink:

That ice cream flight looks and sounds so delicious!!! I'm literally salivating! Must be because I'm reading this close to dinner time! What a pretty day!

Great start. The weather looks fabulous. The ice cream flight does aswell we have never been there, adds to list.

I am now mad at myself for not trying Ample Hills - that flight looks great. Joining in a little late . Loved homecoming! Stayed at pofq last year. I like the size of the resort and proximity to Disney springs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter