Pretend you're a WDW executive redux

Dreamfinder2

DIS Veteran
I'm intrigued at the "play the executive" scanario. Try this:

EXECUTIVE: Wow, look at these numbers! We're one of the strongest profit centers for the company. Michael is singing our praises. The DVC is pure gold. There's no end in sight for our growth!

CM: With all due respect, I'm afraid there may be an end coming.

EXECUTIVE: C'mon. Look at the facts. VWL is about to sell out. Raising the point cost in June didn't hurt us at all. The advance buzz on BCV is amazing. Our research has shown that people are willing to spend $80+ per point to be a part of what we're doing. Forget "Bubble Boy." The true Disney fanatics are willing to forgive anything we do to increase that bottom line as long as the Disney name is attached. Just wait until Eagle Pines comes on line!

CM: Granted, our constituency is willing to forgive a lot. They'll get over what they perceive as lost perks. They'll even forgive us for coasters and placemats. It even looks like they'll even get over not being given the equivilent of Florida resident discounts. But I do believe that there will come a breaking point.

EXECUTIVE: What do you mean?

CM: We both began work here because of our idealism about Disney. And we are smart enough to know that Disney has to make a profit or we're out of a job. But we have to remember that ultimately, we have to care for our guests. I'm afraid that there are some things happening that will alienate our core constituency, to the extent that our sales will slow dramatically and our current owners are going to rebel.

EXECUTIVE: I'm not buying this. You'll have to give me some specifics of what you think will alienate our constituency, and what it would take -- realistically -- to keep our sales steady and our current owners content with the value of their investment.

CM: OK, here goes.

And what did the CM say?

BOSS: Hello Governor, tell me how things are going in the DVC colony.

ASST: Well, Your Majesty, I have just been reading some pretty nasty editorials in that new-fangled penny-press called "The Internet". Colonists seem to be getting worked up over discrepancies in tax policies. I'm afraid some folks are aiming to start a revolution, seeking ideals such as no taxation without representation.

BOSS: What are you talking about?

ASST: They want control of how they spend more of their discretionary income. They are particularly perturbed that the Floridian Loyalists get a (10-15%?) tax break. This is aggravated by the fact that the non-Floridians typically have to pay hideous tolls to the allied air(line) command just to reach their homes. Then we sock it to them further by collecting (local sales) taxes as if they were indeed subjects of the Floridian court. I don't know, Your Highness, if these radicals get enough members stirred up... Well, I would just hate to see what kind of Tea Party they'd throw.

BOSS: Baah, there's no way they could outdo GE's Illuminations!

ASST: There is also talk of buying from the savages at Universal, as a means to undermine our economy.

BOSS: Idle threats, my dear fellow, idle threats. Some of ours go to them, many of theirs come to us. You know how it works, remember the days of 3 gas stations at each intersection? Same principle works for theme parks.

ASST: I'll just pass out a handful of your business cards, as a token of good will.

LOL! Funny, but true. Time to throw the tea into Bay Lake?

The next meet people have in front of the BW DVC sales office where they pull out signs protesting the things we are complaining about, I bet they'd have security there in about 30 seconds.

Man alive! We're not even DVC owners, but, Lord willing, will be before year's end, unless something radical changes our minds. This whole exercise is just my way of trying to get Disney passion to square with fiscal reality. As a long-time lurker but infrequent poster, I'm just trying to get a read on the tone of these boards as of late. PamOKW, you probably don't have a negative bone in your body, but even in your posts lately it seems you've been "swallowing hard." I know that all we can do is speculate, but ... what would it take for my precious Disney to look beyond the bottom line (short-term) to give us great value (long-term)?
I'm just asking because I genuinely, heart-rendingly, need to know.

I agree with Dreamfinder - I have been so looking forward to the day when I can make that wonderful post that says we've bought in! Now I don't know. My first DVC-resort experience is in November with DH and I was hoping to convince him to buy in but if even the most stalwart members of DVC are appearing less than pleased with some of the changes, then those of us who are prospective members may start to consider our options more carefully. I have been researching DVC off and on for about a year and a half and I can't remember when I've read such discontent (maybe that is too strong a word) but I am going to be watching this board very carefully between now and November.

Thanks so much everyone for being honest in your posts about your experiences - it does help me as a DVC-"wannabe" in my final decision. I love Disney and I want to love being a part of the DVC.

Lisa

Before my recent purchase I did a search here and on RADP for "DVC+ unhappy, problems, etc...." all I ever found were things like "We are unhappy we did not buy sooner"

Suddenly- dissent in the ranks is evident...I am not sure what it means but it is a bit unsettling to this new owner...

Paul

While the responses are clever and cute, they seem to forget that the "colonists" all agreed to these issues BEFORE they paid their money.

There are provisions in our contracts allowing members to elect their own management company and board members.....keeping in mind that DVC can drop a resort from the program if the management co. is not adequate. The owners would still own their resort interest until 2042, but wouldn't be able to use any of the exchange features thru DVC. The "new" management could negotiate their own superior deals with everyone. (I sure wouldn't want that responsibility...would you?)

The other issues (coasters, towels, etc.) are also covered in the signed contracts- which allow for those changes to be made. These changes do NOT require any vote of the members...and again we all signed contracts agreeing to those issues.

Perhaps the time to complain about conditions in the contract was BEFORe signing- not afterwards. The excuse we seem to be using is..."I knew these things could change, I just didn't think they would change."

As Pogo often said...."We have met the enemy...and they is US!"

IMHO the downturn in the economy has much to do with the increase in folk's negative attitudes. Losing money in 401(k)'s and the like makes everyone somewhat sour. As for me, I would love to see real discounts for DVC members (especially the suggestion that after we buy three years of annual passes, the forth year is free) but the real advantage of buying DVC is that once it is paid for, it is a tremendous value for anyone who likes to stay on property in apartment-like accomodations. Even if they stripped out all of the non-DVC trade opportunities, I would still be a happy member. If I ever get unhappy, I can sell my BW points for more than I paid and have several years of happy vacations to remember. That said, Disney needs to understand that with real discounts, I would be in their parks more often (and therefore spend way more money) and I would not consider going to Universal as I do now since the costs are all the same to me.

Vacationman, you're probably right. We're going to WDW annually as it is, and we're gonna stay SOMEWHERE. This shouldn't be frustrating, right? It is a vacation, right? Perhaps I just need to bank on the relatively sure thing, that we'll own a piece of real magic, and everything else is just sizzle to go with the steak.
(whew, did I ever mix metaphors!)

This radical's rabble was roused long before we purchased DVC. My "issues" with the operating practices of the World are separate from my appreciation for DVC and the ability to stay on site at a reasonable long-term rate without staking a claim in the Wilderness (campground, that is).

Technically, we are working on our second purchase, while we have yet to lay our heads (come November) in our DVC home. Yes, I see great benefit in owning at DVC. I am not likely to visit non-Disney parks. But I would like to see some level of equality for all visitors (financial supporters) of Disney.

Originally posted by ZerasPride
My first DVC-resort experience is in November with DH and I was hoping to convince him to buy in but if even the most stalwart members of DVC are appearing less than pleased with some of the changes, then those of us who are prospective members may start to consider our options more carefully.

Lisa

ZerasPride,

If you really love Disney I hope you don't let the negative comments on this board cause you to no longer consider DVC. I LOVE Disney and while I would like to see better discounts and more consideration given to DVC members by Disney, I still love belonging to DVC. My biggest regret still is that we did not sign up the first time we looked and waited a couple more years before we did sign up. If you are going to take Disney vacations anyway DVC is still a GREAT way to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter