President Biden’s visit to the U.K. and Ireland. Not political.

Jangles

DIS Veteran
Is anyone following President Biden’s visit to the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland?
His visit to the North to mark the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday agreement seems very brief, but Rishi has travelled over to welcome him.

Is it the first time that Pres. B. has visited his ancestral routes in the Republic?
Have any of you done that? How did it feel? Was it everything you expected it to be? Did you receive a warm welcome?

The British press are suggesting some anti British rhetoric, but I am not convinced that it exists.

Seems normal President Biden would want to visit his ancestral home, everyone I know does it and there are religions that expect it, so of course he is going. It is a classically American thing to venture back and see where our families originated. It also makes sense that a country of people who are hyper focused on how many centuries their families go back in such and such a place wouldn't understand the pull back to point of origin. If you never left how could you miss it? Also, really, who on earth would give up the chance to go back as a President?

Virtually all Americans have roots elsewhere, it's why we all get jumbled during the Olympics:jumping1:

I've been following it, not for political reasons but because I too am of Irish descent and hold a certain fascination with all things Irish.

We were in Ireland last year and spent about half of our time in the county my father's family left behind, and I found it so charming and welcoming. The town and county ended up being among my very favorite places in the whole of our month overseas. It is a weird thing that I don't think the English language has words for, the feeling of coming home to a place you've never been, but that side of the family kept the "old country" alive in stories and visits so it kind of makes sense that it felt a little familiar. If I heard anything about my mother's family's Polish hometown, it was how miserable it was - it wasn't a place anyone reminisced about or spoke of fondly. But Ireland occupied a revered place in memory/imagination among my Irish relatives. My great-grandfather, who I never knew, got in some legal trouble here in the States and moved back to Ireland for a long stretch, where he met my great-grandmother (and got in some fresh trouble which led them to emigrate to Canada - life must have been wild in an era before electronic records that follow you everywhere!). And my grandparents visited Co. Donegal when I was in middle school, bringing me home an entirely inappropriate romance novel simply because it had the common-noun version of my name (cailin - Irish for girl) in the blurb, and their photos and stories made me determined to get there myself someday.

I think the thing I liked best, and that probably surprised me most, is how enthusiastic people I spoke with were about my interest in family history and culture. You'd think they'd get sick of Americans (and other descendants of the famine diaspora) popping in looking for their roots, but I never got even a hint of that. I'm still in social media contact with one person I met in Donegal, and have had a few long email exchanges with others involved in the county museum and historical society about resources I should explore when I go back with more time to dig through old records and such. And I do absolutely intend to go back for an extended visit once my youngest is off to college, not just to continue tracing the family history but to do a language immersion program as well.

On our last day, on the way back to Shannon to catch our flight home, we passed through the town of Obama's ancestral roots and were absolutely stunned by all the place names and markers dedicated to his visit. Someone there told us that it is the same in the places Kennedy visited in Co. Wexford, where his ancestors came from. It surprised me that it was such a big deal but it was kind of neat to think that the connection between Ireland and the descendants of all the people who left is felt in both directions.

Is anyone following President Biden’s visit to the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland?
His visit to the North to mark the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday agreement seems very brief, but Rishi has travelled over to welcome him.

Is it the first time that Pres. B. has visited his ancestral routes in the Republic?
Have any of you done that? How did it feel? Was it everything you expected it to be? Did you receive a warm welcome?

The British press are suggesting some anti British rhetoric, but I am not convinced that it exists.
They probably say this because Biden declined the invitation for the coronation and is sending his wife instead.

Part of the reason for the decline had to do with the huge security detail that involves. You can see photos online when he attended the Queen's funeral and I think they don't want all of that to be a distraction for the coronation.

They probably say this because Biden declined the invitation for the coronation and is sending his wife instead.
I don’t think that’s a snub. I understand that monarchs customarily do not attend other monarchs’ coronations, but send representatives and that Heads of State, Presidents etc., usually send representatives as well. We are quite satisfied and delighted with Dr B. (I speak on behalf of the whole country and Commonwealth of course!😉).

President Biden does have quite a lot going on at the moment & if an emergency shows up he can move the dates to visit Ireland a lot more easily than a coronation, which can't be moved. If I was him, I would stick to things with wiggle room right now too.

President Biden does have quite a lot going on at the moment & if an emergency shows up he can move the dates to visit Ireland a lot more easily than a coronation, which can't be moved. If I was him, I would stick to things with wiggle room right now too.
Yes, but that's not how the British press sees it ;-)

Part of the reason for the decline had to do with the huge security detail that involves. You can see photos online when he attended the Queen's funeral and I think they don't want all of that to be a distraction for the coronation.
Can you imagine what security must be like at G 7 ? I always think do they really want all those heads of state together.

And of course the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have chosen to make an announcement today. Can’t let anyone else have the headlines. 🤫

And of course the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have chosen to make an announcement today. Can’t let anyone else have the headlines. 🤫
From what I can see, Buckingham Palace (well people in it) made the announcement, not the Duke and Duchess.

From what I can see, Buckingham Palace (well people in it) made the announcement, not the Duke and Duchess.
The press are reporting that the decision was conveyed today, announced by the Palace and Sussexes almost simultaneously, and of course friend Omid tweeted.

Does Biden do many trips abroad? To compare it to the queen, her last international state visit was to Oman at age 84 and within Europe at age 89.

Mixing All Black with Black and Tans, that’s quite an oops. I suppose rugby isn’t a popular sport in the US.

Does Biden do many trips abroad? To compare it to the queen, her last international state visit was to Oman at age 84 and within Europe at age 89.
Pres. Biden has made 12 international trips to 19 countries since he took office in 2021. It's not really an apples to apples comparison to compare the amount of international trips the POTUS does to that of what Queen Elizabeth II did. POTUS only serves a term of four years (eight if reelected) and does need to in the country to attend to matters of state. Additionally, Pres. Biden took office while still in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic when there weren't many international visits happening. Pres. Obama (the last POTUS to serve before the pandemic) made 52 international trips to 58 countries in his eight years of office. Obama set the record as the most-traveled president for any first year in office; making ten trips to 21 countries (four countries were visited twice) and was out of the U.S. a total of 40 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter