Preparing for unpaid Maternity Leave...need some budget advice

I didn't read all responses but, with our first, I received no pay as I didn't know the short term was our maternity leave and didn't opt into it the year before. I tried to pay ahead on cable, phone, electric, gas so there would be a credit balance. I also tried to do the same with a car but, the bank told me, I still needed to pay monthly, even though I mailed the payments in with the months I wanted them to apply to coupons. So, I second calling companies to make sure. Keep in mind you will be very tired so crock pot meals will be your friend! I breastfed my sons and used the Medela Pump in Style for almost 2 years total combined between the 2. It held up really well.

With the breastfeeding, I would suggest going on sites such as mamapedia and cafemom. I found a lot of useful info there. I also would begin to pump and freeze if you plan on still breastfeeding while working. That way, you can have a healthy stash of bottles ready and won't stress out so much once back to work about pumping volume. I never supplemented our 2 with formula and made it for 18 mos but, I pumped 4 x a day until he was one to make that happen. After his 1 birthday, I don't think I pumped at all. He got whole milk during the day and just nursed in the am and pm. My pumping day started like this. I would wake up at 4:45 am, get ready for work, nurse him, and pump immediately after. I got an avg. of 9 oz with those morning pumps, so, if you can fit a morning one in, it's a very productive time to get some milk! Throughout work, I made sure to stick to a 3 hour pump schedule when possible. I know this was more info than you asked for, but, these really helped me breastfeed and save a TON on what formula would cost.

I too would pump after feeding that saved a ton. You can provide the sitter with fresh milk from the day before and have a frozen one there just in case.

I knew I would be off unpaid so I had divided my unpaid weeks off into my other weeks budget when I was working. So I had banked the money needed for my time off. And work made us use vacation time if you had it. And after six weeks I asked if I could work my normal weekend shift, figured great practice for dad and I to see what would help us when I really returned to work. Did it both times I was pregnant.

Wow. These are some great ideas folks. Keep them coming.

I need to follow up with my insurance to get that free pump ordered. I'm researching which brands and styles are covered by it. I like the idea of pumping before returning to work so we have some for little one when needed. I'm going to contact formula companies as well for samples and such...can't hurt to have that as well.

Filing taxes early never occurred to me as a way to help with expenses...good call. We have already cut back our bills to the bare minimum to help save. We had considered me returning to work after six weeks but decided against it. My husband just started with his job in February so he is not eligible for FMLA until February 2016 or later which falls past my six week return. In addition he gets no paid time off of any kind so we worry he might lose his job if he requested unpaid leave.

Prepaying bills is a great idea...I should be able to that with my cell phone, directv, and car insurance.

Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions...I'm a planner so this really helps me feel more comfortable with our family plans.

November is a great time to stock your pantry. Grocery stores will have a lot of great sales for Thanksgiving. If you can plan meals ahead, you might be able to set aside some basic items for those 12 weeks at much cheaper prices. One less thing to worry about as you go into the last month of pregnancy.

And, I'll second the suggestion on hitting Goodwill for baby clothes. :) Good luck and good-on-you for looking ahead!

Just wanted to give an update on what I have accomplished so far towards preparing for leave.

Baby Gear

I have talked to my insurance and have discovered which pump suppliers I have to contact to order my pump. I also found that they will cover one lactation appointment plus my provider gave a coupon for a free consult as well. I had my all ladies shower and have received more gifts than I ever imagined. We also had bought some items at target on clearance a few months ago. Both sets of grandparents have provided us with tons of goodies as well. We have another shower co-Ed this time next month and hopefully that will finish off our registery list. Plus my coworkers are having a lunch shower for me next month too so that's a chance to get some more supplies and well wishes. I used my swag bucks to cash in for Walmart cards and purchased some nursery decor items.

Gear for mommy
I used some extra bucks and gift cards at CVS and target to buy my post delivery care supplies and a cute basket to store it in. I also hit the goodwill and bought a pair ofvery large black comfy pajama pants for post delivery wear. I still have plenty of lounge clothes to wear after that first week to relax in. I Used some kohls cash and gift cards to buy comfy shoes for the next couple months and nursing tanks/sleep bras. I found breast pads and cooling gel pads at the dollar store...awesome find!

Food supplies
I found a great deal on dry beans at Safeway and bought six bags. I made a list of all the items I need for thanksgiving, Christmas, holiday baking and general stock pile. Once I see deals on these items I'll pick them up. I told hubby the plan and he is on board.

General budget
I contacted my student loan peeps and will be able to get my payments deferred while on leave. I am making extra payments on my cell bill so I don't have to worry about it. I hid my credit cards so I have to use cash for all expenses and to help pay off that last one before delivery. We both take our lunches to work each day and avoid going out to eat although we did get pizza delivered a few nights ago.

Am I missing anything else?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter