Preparing for unpaid Maternity Leave...need some budget advice

hpfan100

Extendable Ears Anyone?
Hello,

Hubs and I are expecting are baby boy in December and I will be taking 12 weeks of maternity leave. Unless something changes between now and then I will be looking at 6 weeks of it unpaid. :sad: I am the bread winner for the household which adds some additional pressure. So I need the ideas of my fellow budget friends to help me get things in order before my leave.

We are planning to buy no groceries other than a few fresh items (fresh fruit on sale, yogurt, milk). So I need to stock up my freezer and pantry so we can feed ourselves well for the 12 weeks. I already have tons of beans, rice, noodles, cereal, oatmeal, nuts and some snack items. Hubs prefers meat centric meals while I prefer vegetable and bean centric meals.

Any tips on canned/frozen items to start buying now? Best place for prices?

The other big expense to cut while on leave is my student loans. I hate those things :headache: Anyone know if a deferment or something like that is possible? Will they lower my payment?

The final big expense will be that labor/delivery bill from the hospital. I don't even know how much to expect for that one since I have a PPO plan. Any tips??

Thanks for all the ideas and if you tried anything while in the same situation then please let me know!!!:worship::worship:

For student loans call the company directly. Let them know that you are on maternity leave and will be having 6 weeks of lower income. They should be able to work with you.

By you are the bread winner does that mean DH brings nothing in or just brings in less than you? I would be concerned with a 6-12 week old with limited income simply because there are a lot of Drs appointments in those first few weeks.

Also start staving every single penny now not just stock on food.

Hubby is working and makes less than I do. His income will be enough to cover his personal debt and required household bills like electric, trash and water. There won't be enough left over to cover the bills I normally pay. Baby will most likely be covered by my insurance plan so medical costs will covered that way. I have some savings to cover expenses as needed. I was really just looking for tips anyone can offer to help me out.

Something to think about/plan for as a just in case... If you're due late in Dec, make sure you keep in mind that it is possible that you'll deliver in January and therefore have a whole new deductible to pay. My oldest is a January baby and that one sort of blindsided me. I'd prepared for the hit from not working but I wasn't thinking about the fact that a January baby would mean paying the deductible once on prenatal visits and again for labor & delivery.

I know this isn't helpful now, but if you are planning for another child later on, you should look into short term disability insurance. You have to purchase it before you get pregnant and you have to find a plan that covers pregnancy related disability, but it can cover up to 60-80% of your income for as long as your doctor deems you unable to work. It is worth considering for anyone who knows they will be trying for a pregnancy.

As to tips for now, make sure you get as much as possible from your insurance. If you plan to breast feed, talk to your insurer about providing a lactation consultant and get your doctor to prescribe you a breast pump. They are now covered under the ACA.

Congrats Amy!!!

Budget ideas and thoughts
Buy diapers in bulk--consider online shopping (diapers.com).
Look for coupons for baby wipes,cream,soap,special laundry detergent, lotions etc.CVS
Decide if breast feeding or formula feeding. I am Canadian but here is a site for the mom's diet
when breast feeding.
http://www.babycenter.ca/a3565/diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom.
Search online for coupons for Infant Formula.

Again in Canada but our Hospitals here give out many coupons and free samples to new moms,I'm not sure if hospitals where you are do this but it wouldn't hurt to ask your Dr
on your next visit.

My guys (three sons) never stayed in a newborn size for long so maybe don't buy too many newborn items--maybe more medium--- large. Second hand shops often have many new (unused items) that can save you tons of money.

Ask family and friends to "shower" you and the new bundle of joy with homemade casseroles instead of gifts.
OR
Premake and stock the freezer with 1-2 weeks of casserole or easy to reheat meals.
Freeze fresh fruit for snacks and smoothies.
Here is a link to how long food can safely be frozen
http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/freezer-storage-times.html

Look for a new mom's group or other support services in your area.
Looks like you have some "furry" friends in your home,,you might want to do a bit of pre-pet shopping as it
may not be as easy to get out and shop once the new baby comes.

Babies don't need shoes until they are walking so this will be the one time in your life you can save on that purchase,,baby sockies and booties will do.

I also had a baby boy (Dec 13th) 30 years ago.
A Bundle of JOY!
Best wishes
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Hubby is working and makes less than I do. His income will be enough to cover his personal debt and required household bills like electric, trash and water. There won't be enough left over to cover the bills I normally pay. Baby will most likely be covered by my insurance plan so medical costs will covered that way. I have some savings to cover expenses as needed. I was really just looking for tips anyone can offer to help me out.

Sorry if it came off as more than exploratory. It was just more of an idea of how budget you needed.

Something to think about/plan for as a just in case... If you're due late in Dec, make sure you keep in mind that it is possible that you'll deliver in January and therefore have a whole new deductible to pay. My oldest is a January baby and that one sort of blindsided me. I'd prepared for the hit from not working but I wasn't thinking about the fact that a January baby would mean paying the deductible once on prenatal visits and again for labor & delivery.

I think we'll be lucky in his front since we are due the 14th. I'm thinking the little one will be here closer to the 18 th though. Good thing to keep in mind though as deductible will reset for all the post labor appointments.

I know this isn't helpful now, but if you are planning for another child later on, you should look into short term disability insurance. You have to purchase it before you get pregnant and you have to find a plan that covers pregnancy related disability, but it can cover up to 60-80% of your income for as long as your doctor deems you unable to work. It is worth considering for anyone who knows they will be trying for a pregnancy.

As to tips for now, make sure you get as much as possible from your insurance. If you plan to breast feed, talk to your insurer about providing a lactation consultant and get your doctor to prescribe you a breast pump. They are now covered under the ACA.

I actually do have short term disability Amanda actually enough sick time to cover my full 12 week leave. However, my employer will not allow me to draw more than six weeks of paid time unless I have complications or signed from provider. I cant double dip between sick time and short term. Also, the short term will not pay me for more than six weeks for the same reasons. It's really frustrating actually since I've put many years into working and don't get the opportunity to use that time.

I love the lactation idea. I'm looking for more information on that right now and I've been shopping for the pump. Next week we tour the hospital and I am going to ask about samples they provide.

Congrats Amy!!!

Budget ideas and thoughts
Buy diapers in bulk--consider online shopping (diapers.com).
Look for coupons for baby wipes,cream,soap,special laundry detergent, lotions etc.CVS
Decide if breast feeding or formula feeding. I am Canadian but here is a site for the mom's diet
when breast feeding.
http://www.babycenter.ca/a3565/diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom.
Search online for coupons for Infant Formula.

My guys (three sons) never stayed in a newborn size for long so maybe don't buy too many newborn items--maybe more medium large. Second hand shops often have many new (unused items) that can save you tons of money.

Ask family and friends to "shower" you and the new bundle of joy with homemade casseroles instead of gifts.
OR
Premake and stock the freezer with 1-2 weeks of casserole or easy to reheat meals.
Freeze fresh fruit for snacks and smoothies.
Here is a link to how long food can safely be frozen
http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/freezer-storage-times.html

Look for a new mom's group or other support services in your area.
Looks like you have some "furry" friends in your home,,you might want to do a bit of pre-pet shopping as it
may not be as easy to get out and shop once the new baby comes.

I also had a baby boy (Dec 13th) 30 years ago.
A Bundle of JOY!
Best wishes
Hugs Mel

Thanks for the well wishes...we are very excited. We have many friends and family that have spoiled us with clothes and diapers so that helps tons. Love the freezer meal and fresh fruit ideas. We still have a pretty good selection in the stores right now. I have started stocking up on pet goodies...I have to hide them as I have some sneaky cats. Thanks for the freezer link..I'm going to check that one out more closely.

Sorry if it came off as more than exploratory. It was just more of an idea of how budget you needed.
no worries...I wasn't very clear on the original post. I appreciate your ideas. I called both of my student loan companies and they were able to work with me. One was better than the other but hey every little bit helps

Go to all of the formula makers websites and sign up for their programs. They will often mail you samples and coupons. This helped a ton when I had to stop nursing my son.

You can stock up on meat now and then use press and seal to make individual servings of things like chicken breast or pork chops. Then all hubby has to do it take 1 out of the freezer and cook it for himself if you aren't feeling like meat.

But bulk bags of things like rice and deied beans.

The other thing I would do is contact your mortgage (if you have one) and car loans (if you have one). If you have paid on time always, sometimes they will let you defer a payment to the end of the loan. Since your husband is a meat guy and if you have a big freezer, I would buy a cow or half a cow. Much cheaper than buying it at the store and it will freeze for a long time.

Since the baby will be born before the end of the year, you'll be able to declare an extra dependent on your 2015 income taxes. If you file in early February, as soon as you're able, you will likely get a refund (assuming you don't underpay & owe at tax time) while you're still on maternity leave.

You can run some rough numbers ahead of time to guess at how much you'll get, but $1000 is a pretty safe starting guess. For federal, you'll at least get the child tax credit (of $1000), plus the extra exemption. If you're eligible for the earned income tax credit, you'll get even more. Plus whatever you get on your state taxes.

If you contribute to a retirement account, consider temporarily halting contributions for the rest of the year, and put that money aside into savings to help tide you over during your leave.

Make sure that you have some transition clothes for after baby arrives. I would say yoga pants and comfy things for when you are home, but maybe some pieces for work too, that way you don't have to stress if things do not fit right when you go back to work.

Rather than pre-buying and pre-making so much food, since you don't know if you will be showered with casseroles, you don't know if your baby (if you are breast-feeding) will be intolerant to some foods you'd normally eat, etc...I'd actually start buying your normal grocery store gift cards every week you shop. So, you'd add a $25-$50 card for each shopping trip until the birth, and that should give you more than enough to get by for the 12 weeks, especially if your local Church, friends, family, etc gift you dinners or breakfasts (MOMS Groups are BIG on new mom meals - around here, they bring 3 a week for 2-3 months:)...

Start shopping now at Goodwill/Salvation Army for baby clothes (and clothes for after the delivery until you can get into your old clothes). I wish I would of done this - you can fill a cart for what you spend on two new outfits.

Watch Slickdeals website for grocery/diapers deals - and watch the black friday sales too.

I buy hamburger on sale to make and freeze 10 lbs of spaghetti and 10 lbs of lasagna sauce. I also make sloppy joes in advance and package them by the half cup so I have a quick lunch.

Our butcher is running a sale this week - 40 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $40.00. They also run 40 lbs of leg quarters for $16 - great for soups, paprikas and the like.

I realize you want to take 12 weeks off, but maybe you should consider less if money gets too tight. Putting loans on deferment seems like a bad idea, but that's just my opinion.

Enjoy your new one!

Congrats!

Some of my friends have been invited to baby showers which are no gifts, but premade freezer dinners instead are given. Not sure if someone is throwing you a shower, but perhaps you can hint that you'd appreciate something like that instead of bought gifts.

I'll be honest - I took stuff back to the store (Walmart mainly) and bought groceries instead. I was bombarded with so many sleepers, stuffies, rattles, blankets, toys, etc. which I didn't need, and considering I had zero income, and hubby got laid off at same time, grocery money was very tight!

I found as soon as someone found out you had a baby, they were eager to clean out their house and dump it onto yours (as I did with all my baby and kid stuff throughout the years! lol). Keep that in mind as your child grows and you budget for your next one. :). They don't know the difference between a used toy and a brand new one, or sleepers, etc. My kids were always dressed in good quality name brand clothing from the 2nd hand store. It's when they get older they get an attitude about that stuff...lol

Just a thought but can you take the first six weeks off (paid) then your husband take the second six weeks off while you go back to work & draw your higher paycheck? Or, is there something you can cut out of your budget temporarily, like cut out extras on cable tv, only sack lunches at work, no eating out, no stops at Starbucks, etc

I would go ahead and switch your W-4 now to account for your new deduction. It will increase your paycheck and you can use that to either bump up your savings for when your income disappears or use it to fill your freezer & pantry with food.

Just a thought but can you take the first six weeks off (paid) then your husband take the second six weeks off while you go back to work & draw your higher paycheck? Or, is there something you can cut out of your budget temporarily, like cut out extras on cable tv, only sack lunches at work, no eating out, no stops at Starbucks, etc
This is the trend I am seeing. Mom takes off six weeks and then dad takes off six weeks paternity leave.

Saw you mention you're shopping for a pump.... You get a free pump from insurance in the US, you may need a prescription from your docotor but it is free!

Look into this!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter