Preparing for Nicole, Rain tips, and other advice!

Just to be clear, most everybody here is saying the parks will be closed on Thursday. However, Disney has not said that. I'm sure they are just as closely watching the storm as we all are on this thread but will try to hold off on a closing decision as long as possible. Stay tuned....
I'm not saying the parks will all be closed on Thursday. Water parks will be closed, just my opinion not official.

Can anyone remember Disney closing parks for a tropical storm? Is there even a handful of times Disney closed for a hurricane?

It's possible Disney will close the parks. Its also possible they will leave one or more open.

Have the airlines officially canceled flights,?

Sorry people made you feel that way OP. It is always better to over-prepare when it comes to something like this. Consider how many weeks they talked about Ian when it had not formed yet, and then what ultimately occurred. I am just sorry that it is affecting your trip.

The local news this morning is calling for a direct hit to Orlando. Our best hope now is that the storm does not strengthen too much and weakens quickly.

I'm not saying the parks will all be closed on Thursday. Water parks will be closed, just my opinion not official.

Can anyone remember Disney closing parks for a tropical storm? Is there even a handful of times Disney closed for a hurricane?

It's possible Disney will close the parks. Its also possible they will leave one or more open.

My airline hasn’t canceled but we got text about free changes, so did friends flying different days to different Florida airports.

I think it has closed few times in the past, but I also think 1980s was a different world, now we are much more cautious just my opinion I think closure is more likely in 2022.

No reports of flight cancellations yet and no news from MCO yet either on airport ops.

ETA: for those looking for MCO info @MCO is their Twitter handle and they post any announcements regarding ops disruptions there

Last edited:

Sorry people made you feel that way OP. It is always better to over-prepare when it comes to something like this. Consider how many weeks they talked about Ian when it had not formed yet, and then what ultimately occurred. I am just sorry that it is affecting your trip.

The local news this morning is calling for a direct hit to Orlando. Our best hope now is that the storm does not strengthen too much and weakens quickly.
Thanks! It’s alright, for me it affecting my trip isn’t a huge deal I gave my DD the option to cancel she picked not to. So we will make the best of it, we went in August, this is a bonus mother daughter trip, I’m bringing nail polish and some activities for Thursday cards, uno etc. in case we are stuck inside.

I feel for locals, I’ve had my share of storms and damage Ida, Sandy, I hope it’s minor for locals, and people on once in a lifetime trips. I just want to be prepared, whatever that may be.

Sure!

I know I just felt a bit salty that some people made me feel crazy and I’m like there is a storm coming!!

I’m hopefully it’s not bad for many reason, I got flooded in sandy, moved and got it in ida too, I know how devastating these things are, and I am hopeful for locals that it’s quick and minimal damage!

I’m glad you posted because it really got me to plan for the storm. I packed two pairs of waterproof shoes instead of one, brought my rain jacket instead of a poncho, added food to my Instacart order, etc and just mentally prepared myself. It helps to chat and read about it - that’s why Disboards is here! To plan and (sometimes more importantly) talk about planning.

I landed a short while ago and I’m on the Sunshine Flyer to Riviera. I’m going to lay by the pool this morning and hit Epcot later. Even if they close for a day, I’ll enjoy just being here.

Fl resident here-it's a situation that seems to be escalating today, as in, the storm seems to be getting stronger. If I was traveling in, I'd be following the guidance and updates that are coming out at this time.

eta-The Orlando area got a lot of flooding after Ian, even though it wasn't a direct hit, and I think flooding is a big concern this time due to that being so recent.

Fl resident here-it's a situation that seems to be escalating today, as in, the storm seems to be getting stronger. If I was traveling in, I'd be following the guidance and updates that are coming out at this time.

Our traveling party (Delta/Frontier) arrives midday on Thursday and so far have not been even warned by those airlines. I'm presuming that might come before the 24 hour check in tomorrow morning.

If it were left to me, I would have already moved our trip to a weekend in December (already checked resort availability) but we've got to coordinate schedules with the other adults (4 young adults with different job considerations), so have to convince them that's the best course of action and then have them check with work etc... Fortunately WDW told me they'd move me w/o issue if/when it comes to that.

I think it has closed few times in the past, but I also think 1980s was a different world, now we are much more cautious just my opinion I think closure is more likely in 2022.
I agree Disney is more likely to close then in the past.
My post was in response to the claim everyone agrees Disney will close Thursday.

Disney has resorts full of guests. Disney will try to open at least one park. Previously Tropical storms didn't result in park closing.

Some guests might take advantage of liberal airline change policies and reschedule. Others might like the adventure.

Wasn’t 9/11
You were able to change your DVC dates without the points going into holding? That's great!
I cancelled yesterday, which was the day before drop dead date. Ordinarily the points would be put into holding, but they were generous, given the storm, and took the holding stipulation off. I already re-booked for February, lucky to get a RR 1BR for six nights, and waitlisting for a seventh at the end. And I get to plan a new trip that’s just three months away!

This storm seems similar to Dorian in 2019. Cat 1 off the east coast, hit WDW on a Tuesday night. The whole weekend prior people were fleeing WDW in droves. We stayed... they closed the parks early on Tuesday (storm rolled through that evening) and everything was open (albeit wet) the next day. Looking at timing there is a good chance Thursday they will be closed. We were really impressed with how Disney handled Dorian. I wouldn't worry (and I live in Fort Myers so I have storm PTSD) about safety at WDW, but it would definitely ruin plans if a short trip.

I’m trying not to let this storm depress me and affect my vacation. I guess today is good...I have no idea about the rest of the week; almost don’t want to know yet

New stuff coming in this morning looks like the intensity of the storm may increase, but it doesn't seem to be changing the timeline. If you were expecting washouts on certain days, that will stay the same ... it just may be a bit more rainy/windy during that period.

Disney has closed for hurricanes only 7 times in history. As of now, the storm is projected to to be weaker than any of the ones that have closed Disney in the past. It has definitely been open in storms stronger than the current projections. So everything will depend on how this one further develops. (Of course, under current management they may decide who cares and just close them anyway if they think the economics are in favor of closing regardless of whether they've kept open in the past under similar conditions.

(Of course, under current management they may decide who cares and just close them anyway if they think the economics are in favor of closing regardless of whether they've kept open in the past under similar conditions.

Still kind of sailing through uncharted economic waters in the wake of the pandemic. I feel like they will stay open based on history, but all bets are kind of off right now with how they approach things.

I’m glad you posted because it really got me to plan for the storm. I packed two pairs of waterproof shoes instead of one, brought my rain jacket instead of a poncho, added food to my Instacart order, etc and just mentally prepared myself. It helps to chat and read about it - that’s why Disboards is here! To plan and (sometimes more importantly) talk about planning.

I landed a short while ago and I’m on the Sunshine Flyer to Riviera. I’m going to lay by the pool this morning and hit Epcot later. Even if they close for a day, I’ll enjoy just being here.
Have a fabulous day and trip! I leave in a few hours trying to decide what extra shoes to bring!!!

Still kind of sailing through uncharted economic waters in the wake of the pandemic. I feel like they will stay open based on history, but all bets are kind of off right now with how they approach things.
While I agree all bets are off, and I think they will be more conservative then in the past, I do believe they will try to stay open if they can. Or that’s wishful thinking who knows

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter