Pregnant youtuber denied boarding on Disney Cruise

However, I have mixed feelings about the policy based on what we were told by Royal Caribbean when we checked back in 1986 when my wife was 28 weeks pregnant and we cruised with them.
You might be shocked to hear this, but things have changed in the past 30+ years. For instance, when I was born in the early 80's you could smoke in the waiting room. Now that hospital has banned smoking anywhere on their property, including outside. She probably wasn't given thalidomide for her morning sickness either. Because times change, medicine advances, we learn more about health and pregnancy, and policies change with it.

You might be shocked to hear this, but things have changed in the past 30+ years. For instance, when I was born in the early 80's you could smoke in the waiting room. Now that hospital has banned smoking anywhere on their property, including outside. She probably wasn't given thalidomide for her morning sickness either. Because times change, medicine advances, we learn more about health and pregnancy, and policies change with it.

You missed the point. There are other health conditions that are not forbidden that are greater risk.

It’s not just about risk to mom and baby - it’s about exposure for DCL. If a woman were to go into labor on board after viability and God forbid something go wrong, the lawsuit would be enormous. It sounds callous, but such is our world today.

You missed the point. There are other health conditions that are not forbidden that are greater risk.

What other health conditions are you thinking of? I haven't been able to think of any that would so quickly turn into an emergency for an otherwise healthy person that they would know they have. Usually things that require emergency intervention are things that the person is unaware of, like a heart attack or stroke. No one can know when those things would happen. Health conditions that people are aware they have usually don't go from "I'm healthy enough to go on a cruise" to "I need emergency medical intervention" quickly.

It also wouldn't surprise me if DCL's insurance company requires that they have a restriction in place for pregnant cruisers in order to mitigate the risk of a lawsuit.

However, I have mixed feelings about the policy based on what we were told by Royal Caribbean when we checked back in 1986 when my wife was 28 weeks pregnant and we cruised with them. My wife's OB-GYN had no hesitation about her cruising. But we called Royal Caribbean to double check if it was an issue. In those days, RCL had no restrictions at all on sailing while pregnant.

28 weeks in 1986 likely wouldn't have been viable if she'd gone into labor.

That would affect both a mother AND an infant? Unlikely.

And again, you're talking decades ago. What was impossible then is possible now. A history of strokes then might have had a much different outcome than the same history now.

Adult health issues are not necessarily a huge problem, though with the average age of cruise passengers in the industry deaths are not uncommon. I believe cruise ships have the equivalent to a morgue for those unfortunate situations that arise more commonly than we realize.

DCL (and I assume any mainstream cruise ship nowadays) has essentially a mini-ER and is capable of stabilizing most patients well enough to get them transferred. However, cruise ships do not have the life-saving NICU equipment that would be absolutely vital to giving a 25-week preemie any chance of survival.

What other health conditions are you thinking of? I haven't been able to think of any that would so quickly turn into an emergency for an otherwise healthy person that they would know they have. Usually things that require emergency intervention are things that the person is unaware of, like a heart attack or stroke. No one can know when those things would happen. Health conditions that people are aware they have usually don't go from "I'm healthy enough to go on a cruise" to "I need emergency medical intervention" quickly.

It also wouldn't surprise me if DCL's insurance company requires that they have a restriction in place for pregnant cruisers in order to mitigate the risk of a lawsuit.

A lot of people go from healthy enough to go on a cruise to I need emergency intervention quickly. And a lot of people who are have critical health issues go on cruises because they may not be alive to cruise later.

Among the known aliments you might think about:

Cancer. (Embolisms specifically are common cancer patients)
Diabetes. (Cruise ship food can cause huge blood sugar spikes)
Aneurysm. (Stress/excitement and more than normal exercise from walking on the ship or excursions can trigger)
IBS/IBD. (Can cause sudden bleeding)
Allergies. (especially from foods that someone may not have had before but try on a cruise. insect bites too)
Arrhythmia. (Exercise from walking more than usual)

The point the RCL rep was making was that pregnancy issues are statistically less of a risk than other health issues that may not be apparent and do not have to be disclosed.

And some folks make a big deal about Travel Insurance for unexpected medical incidents. Odds certainly against that ever happening on a cruise, but it can happen.

Adult health issues are not necessarily a huge problem, though with the average age of cruise passengers in the industry deaths are not uncommon. I believe cruise ships have the equivalent to a morgue for those unfortunate situations that arise more commonly than we realize.

DCL (and I assume any mainstream cruise ship nowadays) has essentially a mini-ER and is capable of stabilizing most patients well enough to get them transferred. However, cruise ships do not have the life-saving NICU equipment that would be absolutely vital to giving a 25-week preemie any chance of survival.
Yes, I mentioned in post 136 ship deaths. And ships do have morgues. They are small cities on water so that is something they have to have a plan/system for.

Land or sea there are situations that the available treatment may not be the best treatment for. Some say Princess Diana would be alive today if her accident had happened anywhere in the world but France. The French system favors extensive on scene treatment of trauma victims before transporting to the hospital, most other systems favor transportation to a hospital ASAP.

Last edited:
BF says to me, "did you see where Disney kicked someone off their ship because she was pregnant", why he did this is beyond me he knows I am a big fan of Disney, I said did you see the whole report? he said yeah they kicked her off the ship, I said no they did not they did not allow her to board. So I go through the whole online check-in you have to check that no one in your party will be 24 weeks pregnant, it's in your cruise documents that you receive from Disney in the mail, it's on their website etc. He said why did they have a armed guard, I said I don't know I have no idea how crazy this woman was acting, but that armed guard does not appear to be a Disney employee, he must be some one with the port authority. He said it was an armed guard a child was there, I said BF listen to me, you are not going to win this argument with me, the woman was in the wrong and it was not Disney's fault that she apparently didn't want to abide by the rules. She has had her 15 minutes of fame by trashing Disney so there you go. He said you will defend Disney won't you. I said yes I will when they did what they were suppose to do and this woman is just trying to get sympathy from the public because the big bad Disney did her wrong, they didn't do her wrong, she was trying to slip by.

You've lost me completely on how Princess Diana's tragic accident has any relevance to the discussion about medical services available onboard a cruise ship; especially pertaining to allowing (or not allowing) passage to pregnant women. :confused3
That's a head scratcher, though I got lost back when I was told the entire argument (again, made over 30 years ago by a random RCCL phone rep) boils down to the relative privation fallacy.

You've lost me completely on how Princess Diana's tragic accident has any relevance to the discussion about medical services available onboard a cruise ship; especially pertaining to allowing (or not allowing) passage to pregnant women. :confused3

Princess Diana would probably be alive if her accident had not happened in France. A baby born at 25 weeks will probably stay alive if not born on a cruise ship. I see the correlation.

Simple. No matter how extensive the medical services available...ANYWHERE.....there are situations where the needed treatment isn't available. A ship could have a full hospital, and still not have what was needed for a specific emergency.

Ok, if that's your argument in favor of allowing someone to cruise when 24+ weeks pregnant, you are entitled to that opinion. I can see why cruise lines don't allow it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter