Pregnant a WDW--Have you ever had to get a wheelchair???

Belle5

DIS Veteran
Leaving in 6 days. I have started having excruciating pain in my hip. I'm in my 6th month of pregnancy. I can't get into see the physical therapist that specializes in treating this problem (sacroiliac joint dysfunction) until 2 days before we leave. (1 treatment.) I'm wondering if I may end up needing a wheelchair to help with some of the walking. I have 3 strapping teenaged boys and one handsome husband to help push me if needed.

Should I get an ECV or a traditional wheelchair? Are the ECV's jerky or bumpy? Are there restrictions against pregnant women driving them? What is the difference in cost between the two?

If you have had to do this while pregnant I would appreciate reading about your experience and and advice you may have.

Please no advice on postponing the trip. (That will just depress me.) I'll know if I need to do that after seeing the doctor this week, anyway.

Belle5+2/3,

I don't know any of the answers, but I just wanted to send you some good wishes!! I've seen you posting and getting excited about this trip for so long :)

Hugs and Prayers!
Micki

Here is a link to the DIS page about touring WDW with mobility problems/disabilities. It has information (including prices) about renting wheelchairs and ecvs in the parks.
If you think you will need one at your resort, you may be able to get a manual wheelchair at the resort free of charge (but there is no guarantee that one will be available). If you'd prefer an evc or want to rent a wheelchair, here are the off-site rental places that DIS posters recommend:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

Should I get an ECV or a traditional wheelchair?
The advantage of an ecv is that you will have more independence and won't have to rely on anyone to push you. Some of the disadvantages are that ecvs are more expensive and need to be recharged every night (not a big problem).
Are the ECV's jerky or bumpy?
My DD uses her own wheelchair, so I can't give you a first hand account, but if you click on the link in my signature to get to the disABILTITIES Board, you can ask people who use them.
Are there restrictions against pregnant women driving them?
No restrictions. They are as easy drive after a few minutes practice.
What is the difference in cost between the two?
ECVs are at least twice as much as renting a wheelchair. You can get the facts from the websites I posted or from asking on disABILITIES. It is less expensive to rent by the week from one of the off-site companies than it is to rent day by day from Disney.

Advice I have as a nurse - if you rent an ecv or wheelchair, remember to get up, walk and stretch every hour. That will help prevent you from getting stiff and also help prevent blood clots.
Another quick hint: Don't forget to put sunblock on your legs. If you are wearing clothing that exposes your thighs, they will be in the sun the whole time you are sitting and you can get burned badly on the thighs pretty quickly.

We rented a wheelchair for my MIL who was having some leg troubles during our trip last August. The wheelchair was $8 per day versus $40 for the ECV. She would have done the scooter but cost won out.

When my sister was pregnant (with twins), she rented a wheelchair - just the standard though.

Her only complaint was that people in a rush would totally cut her off. There was a point to where she was litterally stuck and couldn't move for fear of hitting someone. She was so upset over this.

2 trips ago, a friend of ours met us at the World and she was having back pain. She rented a standard wheelchair and had no problems with the crowds.

Have fun!!!

P.S. - We'll be there the same time! We are arriving on the 10th.

Thanks for the kind wishes, Whosemom!;)

And thanks for all the great information everyone else!! You all are the greatest!:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter