Pre-Trip to decide whether Deluxe is for us!

Axelrodb1

Mouseketeer
"So are you POSITIVE we can't repeat any ADRs?"

These were the words spoken by me to my boyfriend when we decided to book a 9 night trip in November a few weeks ago.. with the majority of my favorite places already booked I was in a total panic! We made the decision that we wanted to try and eat at as many different places as we could, and just keep crossing them off the imaginary list of all TS places I had yet to create. But let's rewind a little here... maybe rewind isn't the best word... I am sure I will jump around a bit!

I decided to start a pre trip report in the dinning section because to be honest, I started a pre trip report in the other area and was talking so much about food that I thought I should move it over here. Alas now I have two reports and will lay off the excessive food talk over there!

Last trip we did Deluxe dinning and we loved it, my boyfriend (I will come up with a nickname eventually..) was full all the time, but he felt the need to finish every dish brought to him, I on the other hand loved being able to try this and that, out to dinner locally I tend to love appetizers and desserts so having those daily was awesome for me. Needless to say we are trying to decide if financially it makes sense this time around. I know people say that the plan forces you to order things you might not usually order, but with us that isn't really true. So I will be posting what we think we will order and keeping track of money to see how it works out!

Our traveling party consists of myself, my boyfriend (age 32) and my DS9. I personally love seafood, chicken, veggies, and creme brûlée. It is safe to say I tend to love dessert the best! My boyfriend is a laid back meat and potatoes kind of guy, read on to see what interesting places I booked that may throw him for a loop! He isn't big into fancy prep, or unnecessary garnish, and isn't too big into tiny portions that tend to happen when you eat at a nice place. Now my little man... he still eats like he did when he was 4 or 5, he loves nuggets, pasta with butter, and maybe sometimes pizza or mac n cheese. His tastes aren't growing too much however he will always try new things, just never really likes them. We have progressed to turkey breast and things but needless to say... being as into cooking and food as I am... it's a little sad he ISN'T!

To make things more difficult my little man is getting braces today!!! So, no more super crunchy or gooey food, which should be interesting. Do I need to be one of those people who carries a toothbrush around for him?

We will be staying at AoA from 11/13-11/11/22 and are debating the deluxe dinning plan. We have done it in the past and loved it, all of us for different reasons. However, this time we are making our ADR's and figuring what we *think* we will order and adding it up to see if financially the savings is there... we tend to be appetizer and dessert people regardless. Besides, why not live it up while on vacation!

I know this post was long winded and somewhat boring but I am on the iPad and can not add photos just yet! I will introduce us all with our smiling faces as soon as I can!

The next post should be our day one plan!!

Last edited:
Your BF and my husband could eat together very well, the description of him is virtually identical to my hubby. As far as your son, hopefully he will start to come around and start enjoying some of the new things he is trying. Fortunately for me, DSS8's (almost 9) palate has grown considerably over the last 2-3 years, but man oh man was it like pulling teeth in the beginning, trying to get him to try new things. Can't wait to see your line up!

:welcome: Let's get into the good stuff.... the food! I will be going over not only where we plan on eating but WHAT we plan on eating... we are still debating the dinning plan so I am trying to figure meal costs for our entire trip vs the cost of the plan in an effort to see if it is worth it. So if you are up for the lengthy read I would love any advise!

We should be arriving (hopefully) around 8pm checking in and then headed to eat.

Dinner at Boatwrights

Apps-1. Colonel's Peace's Pieces- crawfish, shrimp, oysters, and okra in a crispy cornmeal batter - $12.49
2. N'awlins Barbecued Shrimp - Classic slow-cooked Shrimp with a Grilled Baguette- $12.99
Entrees- 1. General Fulton's Prime Rib -Carefully Seasoned with a hint of Coffee and Slow-roasted served with Horseradish-Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, and Red Wine Demi-glace- $33.99
2. Flambeau Fish- Today’s Sustainable Fish Selection lightly Blackened and served over Sweet Corn Griddle Cakes topped with Black-Eyed Pea Salsa- price is unknown (Market Price?) ** If anyone knows what this amount generally is... please let me know!!
Dessert- 1.Royal Bananas Foster-served on Angel Food Cake with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream-$7.49
2. Brew du Krewe -Espresso-Chocolate Cake with Mocha Ganache and fresh Whipped Cream- $6.49

Kiddo (he gets his own section)
1. Kids' Mickey Check Meal - Oven-roasted Turkey served with Brown Rice, Green Beans, and Strawberry Yogurt Parfait $8.5
Drinks- Wondering if I can get lemonade…. if not its always just two sodas MAYBE sometimes a Cappuccino but we will stick with the $6 for two sodas

Total Cost OOP- $93.76 without the fish price

Woo day one all typed out and it feels great! I feel like that took me forever to put down but looking at it all situated I feel good! :flower1:

Your BF and my husband could eat together very well, the description of him is virtually identical to my hubby. As far as your son, hopefully he will start to come around and start enjoying some of the new things he is trying. Fortunately for me, DSS8's (almost 9) palate has grown considerably over the last 2-3 years, but man oh man was it like pulling teeth in the beginning, trying to get him to try new things. Can't wait to see your line up!

I'm so glad he isn't the only one who just loves his simple meat and potatoes! It makes me laugh when he asks questions about menu items or picks off garnish, its always so funny to me... we actually had a lengthy discussion about pasta and the term "al dente" the other day!

As for my DS9 the things he likes and will try sometimes is mind blowing, he loves calamari, and during our trip to California he ate tofu, shrimp and a variety of other interesting things.. one can only assume he will be bored of "kid food" sooner or later!

**Well this day ended up getting so switched around and things canceled and re-booked.....

New Day 2 plan...

Saturday 11/14

Breakfast At Garden Grill not exactly sure of the cost but we estimate it will be around $85 we saw prices online somewhere and thats what I wrote down for the three of us... however I can't find that website now.

Lunch Spice Road Table
Appetizers- 1.Fresh Mussels Tagine with Cilantro, Garlic, Lemon Confit, Chermoula Sauce
$10
2.Fried Calamari with spicy Harissa and Capers Aïoli Sauce $12
Entrees- 1. Yellowfin Tuna Spicy Tuna with Eggplant, Zucchini, Capers Salad, and Basil Oil $27
2. Mix Grill Skewers Beef and Chicken with Garlic, fresh Herbs, and Rosemary-roasted Potatoes $28

Dessert 1. Chocolate Pyramid $7

2. Haven't Decided- $7

Kiddo- Will probably get the chicken 9.99

Drinks- $13 if possible (we liked the fun drinks!)

Total: $121.40

Dinner- Food and Wine Fest Treats

Total For the Day: $201.40... we think

Last edited:
Breakfast at Kona
** I am looking forward to this, as far as money goes it seems to be fairly inexpensive, however I have somehow never had breakfast here so cheap or not, I am extremely interested!
Apps- usually don’t happen at breakfast although we have had platters of pastry and fruit brought out to us at other places!
Entrees 1. Tonga Toast Banana-stuffed Sourdough French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar and served with a Strawberry Compote and Bacon :-) $12.99 2. Blueberry Pancakes with your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage $10.99 (boyfriend wants the blueberries cooked in not just plopped on top, anyone know which way they do it?)
Little Man- Minnie's French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar—it’s almost as sweet as our Minnie. $6.49
Drinks- Liliko'i Juice $4.49
Cafe Mocha $4.79
Total- $42.33

Lunch at Tony’s Town Square
Apps-1. Calamari topped with Olive Relish and served with a side of Marinara Sauce $11.99
2. Zucchini Fries Breaded seasoned Zucchini with creamy Sun-dried Tomato Dressing for dipping- $8.49
Entrees- 1. Joe's Artisanal Pizza Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, Roasted Peppers, Caramelized Onions, and garnished with fresh Basil $16.99
2. Cannelloni -filled with a mixture of Ground Beef and Sausage, Mozzarella, and Ricotta served with Marinara and Crème Sauce $17.99
Dessert- 1.Pistachio Crème Brûlée $5.99
2. Chocolate Cake layered with Chocolate-Hazelnut Filling - $5.99
Kiddo
1. Kids' Mickey Check Meal - I actually have no idea what he will want here! $8.59 I guess, maybe more…
Drinks- $6 for two sodas as usual

Total- $87.36

Dinner at HBD

Apps-1. Crispy Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes over an English Cucumber and Plum Tomato Slaw with a Sweet Chili Sauce (without the slaw.. I HATE tomato) $15.00
2. Pan-seared Scallop- with Crispy Pork Belly over Wilted Swiss Chard and a Celery Root Purée with a Raspberry-Quince Gastrique - $15.00
Entrees- 1. Pan-seared Black Grouper with a Half Herb-crusted Lobster Tail over an Orzo Salad with a Cognac-Mushroom Beurre Blanc $45.00 2. Charred-glazed Filet of Beef with a Red Wine Reduction topped with a Cabernet and Roasted Shallot Butter, over White Truffle Oil-Wild Forest Mushroom Mashed Potatoes $49.00
Dessert- 1.We will both get the choose any 3- but which ones!!! $18.00
Kiddo
1. Kids' Mickey Check Meal - I think he will lean towards chicken breast and the hidden treasure dessert here, but with him it’s hard to tell! $16.00
Drinks- $6 for two sodas as usual..I think?

Total- $174.66

Total for the day $304.35

Breakfast at ???

For breakfast I have gone back and forth a few times on whether I want to do breakfast at Boma or just something small like cereal in the room or a pastry. I want to say that this particular day we will just do something small- but I tend to change my mind 200 times before the actual trip.. I guess it is an issue of mine!

Lunch at Saana

Apps-1. Potato and Pea Samosas- with choice of Tamarind or Mango Chutney - $8.99
2. Lamb Kefta Sliders- Goat Cheese, Piquante Peppers, and Pickled Shallots- $9.49
Entrees- 1. Potjie Inspired- Choice of Two served with Basmati Rice or Five-Grain Pilaf - Butter Chicken, Spicy Durban Shrimp, Seasonal Greens and Tomatoes, Paneer Tikka, Goan Seafood Curry, Spiced Lamb, Lentil Dhal, or Chickpea… (i think we are both getting this!) $23.99
Dessert- 1.Dessert Trio- Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse, Banana Cheesecake, and Seasonal Kulfi $7.49
2. Banana Cheesecake- pistachio and Chocolate Sauce- $5.49
Kiddo (he gets his own section)
1. Kids' Mickey Check Meal - Grilled chicken (he LOVES this chicken, last time he ordered another one!) $8.99
Drinks- Wondering if I can get lemonade…. if not its always just two sodas MAYBE sometimes a Cappuccino but we will stick with the $6 for two sodas

Dinner
I am the most excited about this, can't even tell you how excited...lets just say SO excited. For dinner we are dropping little man off at one of the child care places that he happens to LOVE and going to food and wine. Now food and wine booths can be super expensive, eventually I plan to look at menus with prices and really dive into these credits and costs, but we plan to use a ton of credits on the tasty treats at food and wine!

Total Cost OOP- $110.10 plus whatever we decide for breakfast and a bunch of credits for food and wine :worship:

I'd say it really depends on what time your lunch at Sanaa is. If it's an earlier reservation, a small breakfast should be fine. Personally, I have to have some kind of protein source as part of my breakfast, since doing just carbs (like cereal/oatmeal/toast/pastry/etc) doesn't even come close to holding me, but I know that everyone is different. :)

And yay for F&W date night, sounds so fun!!!!

Woozers, we just got back from a weekend away to Orlando to visit Universal.... I will hold my rant about how much more I prefer Disney! Over the drive up there we changed just about our entire plan of where to eat and what to do so needless to say the dinning plan debate has begun all over again! I have the list of new ADRs and food choices just need a calculator and hopefully we will know what to do soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter