Pre-trip Report to GC (LONG)

LuvTigger

DIS Veteran
I am actually back from the Grand Californian, but didn't get a chance to post this before I left. I did write it before I left though! I'll try to get the trip report up soon, probably in 4-5 parts since we stayed 4 nights/5 days.

We started planning around May, when we booked our package through DU (thanks Cathy M.!). While I'm normally not a fan of WDW packages (with the possible exception of Discovery Magic), I really do like the DL packages. I think you at least break even, if not come out ahead.

Thanks to DIS, I learned that DLR hotel guests can make dining reservations up to 30 days in advance at (714) 956-6755. (Note: in the documentation I received from Walt Disney Travel Co., it says you can book dining reservations up to 60 days in advance.)

Who:
me, Kendra, 30
boyfriend, Aaron, 37

Where:
Grand Californian Hotel, theme-park view

When:
Monday, October 8, 2001 – Friday, October 12, 2001

A little background on the two of us...we are both avid Disney fans. Every year we do something Disney. If we can't make it to Disney World, we go to Disneyland (a lot cheaper for us, being from Hawaii). Last year was the first year we did NOT do anything Disney (went to Vegas for a few days), so we're suffering major withdrawals! To make up for it I booked us at the Grand Californian!!! We have only stayed at the Disneyland Hotel once, the rest of our trips have been offsite (Howard Johnson, Best Western Park Place Inn, Best Western Stovall's Inn, Carousel Inn)

Here are some details about what we booked through Dreams, for those of you comparison-shoppers (like me):
¨ Fall Getaway Package with Disney Club Discount for 4 nights—this promo includes 4 nights for the price of 3, and a 4-day park hopper for the price of a 3-day hopper (3 day adult hoppers are $111 each).
¨ For $11 more per person, we upgraded to a resort character breakfast (planning on Storyteller's Cafe with Chip and Dale)
¨ Some other goodies such as a pin and lanyard, and $10 ESPN game card for each of us.
¨ What some people don't think about when booking packages is that they include tax, which can really add up. Also, there is a $5.75 per night resort fee which includes things like parking, newspaper, and local calls.

Total for 2 adults, $1256. I originally had a Resort Magic package for 3 nights at $1160. Not too shabby, IMHO! And Dreams Unlimited has been GREAT!!!

Okay, here's the plan, let's see if we stick to it!

Monday, October 8, 2001
· We're driving from Vegas and hope to arrive by 11:30 a.m.
· After checking into GC, we plan on having lunch at Napa Rose. I hope it's open, I've heard conflicting reports about whether it's open for lunch, especially during the slower months. I e-mailed Disney and they claim it will be open. If not, Storyteller's Cafe is the alternate option.
· Then, off to Disneyland! It's kind of weird to have 2 parks there now! When we go to WDW, we always have to start off at the Magic Kingdom, and I think it would be best to do the same at DL. We'll probably swing by DCA briefly to check it out.
· We have a friend who lives in CA, we'll try to get together with her on this night. I'd also like to spend some time checking out GC, and maybe soak in the hot tub!

Tuesday, October 9, 2001
· This is an EE day, so we'll head to Disneyland at 8:30 a.m.
· We plan on spending most of the day here. Ressies at Blue Bayou for 11:30.
· I'd like to spend some time at GC in the afternoon, maybe swim and take some pictures. I'm hoping to get a nice Christmas card picture taken here.
· At night, go back to DL and have dinner at the Plaza. Park closes at 8:00 p.m.
· Explore DD.

Wednesday, October 10, 2001
· Go to DD for quick breakfast and coffee.
· Plan on spending the day at DCA. Park opens at 10:00 a.m.
· Lunch at Cocina Cucamonga
· Planning on dinner at Avalon Cove, last available seating. Park closes at 6:00 p.m. If we weren't able to eat at Napa Rose for lunch, we'll probably have dinner there tonight instead.
· At night, check out DL Hotel. I wonder if the Water Fantasy Parade is on? Maybe check out PP too, though what I've seen and heard doesn't appeal too much to me.
· Spend some time snuggling in front of the GC fireplace??

Thursday, October 11, 2001
· Another EE day at DL. Have breakfast at the park.
· Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour at 10:30 a.m. (Use DC card for 50% off)
· Fast food lunch in park.
· Dinner at Downtown Disney.

Friday, October 12, 2001
· Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe, 8:00 a.m.
· Check out by 11:00 a.m.
· Drive to Barstow, ETA 1:00 p.m., shop and have lunch
· Leave Barstow by 5:00 p.m., arrive Vegas around 7:00 p.m.

A couple weeks prior to my departure, I received a very nice document folder from WDTC via FedEx. It included vouchers for the hotel and the pin and lanyard for each of us, park hoppers(which also serve as vouchers for the $10 ESPN game cards), breakfast vouchers (printed on the same card stock as the passes), an invoice listing all the items and showing that the package was paid in full, and other park and resort information.

Trip report to follow very soon!

Sounds like you have a nice trip planned - I am off to read all about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter