Pre-trip Report - Christmas with Mom 2014

Candice30

World's Greatest Aunt! -- or so the kids tell me.
Well I never thought of doing a pre-trip report before but I’m so excited for this trip that I needed to channel my energy. One would think that after just coming back 30 days ago from an amazing trip with my friends and pulling off a great surprise for them that I’d be fulfilled. [See link below if interested in my disney surprise for my friends]. BUT…can a true Disney fan ever get enough??? NOPE!!! So here goes. Cast of Characters: me, loving daughter (her favorite…shh…don’t tell my sisters), single, no kids. And mom, the best mother ever; married to her true love (my dad) for 53 years. Here we are from last trip to Disney.

cirque_zps4fcbe146.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One of my favorite times to go to Disney is when it is all decked out during the holidays and probably even more than that, I love experiencing it with my mom…the greatest lady I know! She loves Disney but doesn’t go very often as my dad isn’t a fan (never been) and she hates to leave him home alone. I was able to convince her to come with me again this year and promised that my other sisters (I have 3) would all check in on dad.

I started planning this trip before I even went on my September trip with my friends. We meet up in Disney annually for a week and even in the midst of all that planning, I was focusing on mom’s trip. Trying to decide where to stay is always the hardest part for me. I definitely play the change resort game. I wasn’t upgrading to an annual pass until I arrived for the September trip so a friend was kind enough to allow me access to her account so I could keep checking AP rates online…and check them I did..everyday! Even while on my trip in September, every night when we returned to the room, I would jump on my ipad and check rates and room availability before going to sleep. This is normal right?

My mom has been to Disney 3 times in the past. The first time we stayed off property and she and I both hated it. It just wasn’t the same to me. Being her first trip, I was also saddened by this being her experience. If I don’t stay on property, I’m just not happy. One of the many reasons is the transportation. We don’t get a rental car so we are at the mercy of the hotel shuttle and it just was never convenient. Anywho…. The second time, I took her during December and I treated her to Beach Club for 2 nights and the Grand Floridian for 2 nights. I figured after the fiasco of the off property stay that I owed it to her. She loved it so much. She wasn’t thrilled about moving resorts but we had a blast. She fell in love with the Grand Floridian but really who wouldn’t. Especially during Christmas time. Our last trip I decided to up her stay again and this time she knew we were staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge but she had no idea what was in store. I surprised her with club level and arranged surprises for her everyday like personalized cakes, sunrise safari, cirque du soleil and much more.

This time however, and especially after just coming back from a very expensive trip with my friends, I was gonna have to go budget. I decided on Port Orleans French Quarter. I love how small and quaint the resort is and mom would be able to get around easy. I booked the closest room category to the main building and starting planning the rest of the trip. NOT SO FAST YOU SAY! I did say that I play the resort change game. Once I had my AP in hand, there was no stopping my obsession with checking rates on the computer every day, all day. And once again, I was looking at deluxes. Not that I wasn’t happy with my choice of moderate resort but I started thinking that this may be the last trip for mom in awhile and I want to make certain that she is blown away. That means topping her last trip to AKL; which is of course where she wanted to stay again. I had also been showing her photos and getting her excited about POFQ so she was completely thrown off the scent. I began re-working my budget and just couldn’t find the money for the trip I wanted and Christmas too. And wouldn’t you know it….unexpectedly, we received a bonus at work! YAY! There was no stopping me now. Deluxe here we come!

I thought of POLY and CR first since I have never stayed at those. But due to construction, though I wouldn’t mind, I didn’t want mom to experience POLY that way. So I focused on CR. I knew I wanted to stay in the tower. Mom would love the monorail going through the resort. But alas, there was nothing available for my dates. I kept checking (every day remember) and finally a room popped up for a couple of the nights we are going to be there and with an AP discount too! Could I do another split stay? Last time it was from an Epcot resort to GF so if I am considering it this time, it has to be monorail resort to monorail resort. It’s just easier with mom and like me, she hates cabs. They just creep us out! So this leaves me with???…..you guessed it….GF! A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!This would truly be a surprise for her. I quickly got on the phone and switched my ressie from POFQ. By the time I got off the phone, I had booked 2 nights at CR tower with dining plan followed by 3 nights at GF main building club level. Mom is gonna be so excited. It’s always been my dream to stay in the main building at GF and to do it during the holidays is just icing on the cake!

Contemporary-Resort-08-300x200_zps14fb0429.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next up…the ADR roller coaster!

Yay! One of mom's surprises arrived today. Her monogrammed disney pajamas and slippers.

imagejpg1_zps13f10b6f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And mine too!

imagejpg2_zpsc35840df.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

First off what are your dates and secondly can i have you for a daughter:rotfl2:
haha...it's funny, people ask to borrow my mom all the time but I don't loan her out. We r going 12/06-11. I wanted to go longer but that's as long as she will leave my dad so I gotta squeeze everything in.

So my trip is 26 days away. 26 days from staying at royal palm club and my furnace dies. 10K to replace it. Ugghh!! Now I may have to switch resorts again to free up some cash. I'm so bummed. CR not avail my whole dates anymore and I just don't want to stay garden view GF. I think even going over there, knowing what I had will depress me. Oh what to do??

Good News! My heater kicked on! Thank you God! I may still choose to replace it but at least I'm not pressured to do it now and I was able to secure a much lower quote so yay! Back to planning Christmas with Mom in Disney.

ADR roller coaster! Since I began planning this trip late, there wasn’t much to be had when I went to book. Of course all the favorites were taken. I was also undecided about the dining plan at that point and went back and forth. I finally decided on dining plan just for the first 2 nights of our trip to give mom a taste of it as it will be her first time experiencing the dining plan. Since we are on club level the last 3 nights, I didn’t bother with the dining plan. I knew I wanted Ohana, Le Cellier and California Grill. After checking over and over again (several times a day), for weeks, I was finally able to secure reservations. Of course they were all for after 8:30 so that would not do. Mom will not eat that late. I am also trying to work around my touring plans which had to be altered slightly as we are meeting up with friends a couple of times during the trip. I also remember that last time I stayed club level, I regretted not spending more time sampling the offerings so wasn’t gonna make that mistake again. I worked to try and move the ADRs around so that we could enjoy club level. I had planned on using club offerings as appetizers then head off to dinner but since ADRs were scarce, I wasn’t able to do that. Just yet anyway, I’m still trying. HAHA! Finally, we ended up with the following:
Day 1: dinner (Ohana)
Day 2: dinner with friends (Hoop Dee Doo)- (mom has never done this)
Day 3: switching over to GF club so table service for lunch (Yak & Yeti) – I miss my fried wonton dessert!
Day 4: lunch (Le Cellier)
Day 5: breakfast (Kona Café), dinner, California Grill

This plan allows us the club time I want so I'm happy with it. There are so many food places I want mom to try but she isn't a big eater.

Okay so resort chosen - check.....ADRs made - check....now on to mom's surprises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter